Adams Guest House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$182
  • Breakfast included
$305
$285
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
$100
$149
$121
$115
Official Site
Premier Inn Oxford Hotel(Oxford)(Great Value!)
$91
PremierInn.com
$137
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I was looking for somewhere economical in Summertown, with parking. At £45 only a shop doorway would be cheaper. I had a single room in the attic. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The room was small with nowhere to store my bag and no wardrobe. There was no plug in the washbasin. But all I needed was somewhere I could sleep as I would be out all day. Once I am asleep I don't notice how many cats could be swung in the space. The staff I met spoke English and were perfectly pleasant and helpful. I would go back.

Room Tip: I only stayed in one so I have no idea if any others are better.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2011

First impression was of a mucky, shabby, unclean house in need of major work to bring it up to any expectations
The smell that greeted us was a sort of musty/damp smell and it certainly wasn't from the cleaning that had been going on( or lack of it !!)
We were greeted by a Chinese lady who spoke very little English, more of which later.
The TV's weren't working, which apparently was due to the "switch over" happening in that area, and they hadn't got any digital TV's yet !!!
The showers smelt and were definately unclean, and also very small and in some rooms, ours, not working.
The internet was claiming to be WI-FI, but after trying to get any signal, after an hour, I gave up
The wc's and showers had a "macerater" fitted on them which made an awful noise, enough to probally wake the dead !!!
The beds/cupboards felt like they were held together by string and sellotape, and creaked constantly everytime you moved on them.
When we complained in the morning, after not even attempting a breakfast, we were greated by the Chinese lady, speaking very little English, and understanding even less , and obviously as soon as we mentioned a refund, the lack of English came out even more.
I stayed there with 2 friends, 1 from Denmark, the other from Italy, and I was embarressed to be taking them to a "typical English B&B" of which this was not.
I should have followed my first instinct when looking/entering the premisses, of walking away and finding somewhere else to stay.
So, to sum up, DON'T GO THERE, EVEN IF YOU WANT A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE, you won't be disappointed !!!!

Room Tip: Don't choose any of them, go somewhere else !!!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Russell T
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We should have read Tripadvsor reviews before reserving this guest house. Our first impression when we entered was of a musty, poorly maintained building. We were handed our key by a lady who spoke little English and given no further details or welcome. Our room looking out over the street was in poor condition with very unattractive decor. The toilet had some strange device (pressurising??) which was very noisy when flushed. Thankfully we could open the window to have fresh air.
The provided English breakfast was passable but there were not enough tables if all the guests happened to arrive at the same time.
It was on Banbury Road which has frequent buses into the centre of Oxford and the busstop was a couple of minutes away. It was much too far for us to walk in to Oxford.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank NonieL
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We spent four nights at the Adams Guest House. After reading the reviews, I can see where some of the disappointment comes from. The place was plastered with brass wall signs declaring statements like, "No Pets" and "No Smoking". In the entry way alone there were probably 25. Not very classy, but this B&B isn't trying to be classy. The breakfast was fine, not great, but fine. The beds were comfortable enough. The space in our room was pretty tight but we weren't spending much time in our room. There was tea for us in our room, as well as a small tv to watch as we wound down for the night. The owners don't speak English well and I think the cultural differences were probably the biggest reason for the oddities of the place. But they were kind and polite. I'm not sure I felt like we got 100% value, but for Oxford, we did okay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We had read reviews of the guest house before going there, but sadly I had forgot to check TripAdvisor (more about that later).

When we arrived "my room" was occupied so the first night was spent in a triple room instead (room 1). After the first day I came back to a room which had been left unlocked (with my things still in it!) and a note asking me to move to the originally intended room (room 6).

The place should have been strictly no smoking, but the room had an awful smell of cigars. I was happy though, as my parents room (room 7), had an even worse smell, which stemmed from the drain/sewer pipes. I was surprised they even managed to sleep there. The rooms were generally unclean, and the worst parts were the bathrooms which had very obvious mould problems. In my honest opinion this guest house needs a major refurbishment if it should ever be able to come close to what I would describe as decent.

The staff were all Chinese and did not seem to speak a word of English, besides from the standard courtesies - "Fried Egg or Scrambled Egg" etc. Communication was therefore more than hard, and when we called to say we would be a bit late due to our flight, we were not sure they had actually understood that.

They advertise with no extra charge for credit cards, but in fact they charge an extra 4%, which a sign that had clearly been on the wall for years also stated. Furthermore the descriptions of the place include "15 minutes walk to city centre", though when we fast walked down there at a reasonably fast pace it took us 45 minutes.

Rereading some of the reviews on the site we booked the guest house from, I cannot help but thinking that the owner put all those "super good" reviews there himself.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family