“A budget B&B in Oxford, not the Hilton”
Review of Adams Guest House

and 1 more site!
Adams Guest House
Ranked #76 of 82 Oxford B&B and Inns
Princeton, New Jersey
“A budget B&B in Oxford, not the Hilton”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We spent four nights at the Adams Guest House. After reading the reviews, I can see where some of the disappointment comes from. The place was plastered with brass wall signs declaring statements like, "No Pets" and "No Smoking". In the entry way alone there were probably 25. Not very classy, but this B&B isn't trying to be classy. The breakfast was fine, not great, but fine. The beds were comfortable enough. The space in our room was pretty tight but we weren't spending much time in our room. There was tea for us in our room, as well as a small tv to watch as we wound down for the night. The owners don't speak English well and I think the cultural differences were probably the biggest reason for the oddities of the place. But they were kind and polite. I'm not sure I felt like we got 100% value, but for Oxford, we did okay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We had read reviews of the guest house before going there, but sadly I had forgot to check TripAdvisor (more about that later).

When we arrived "my room" was occupied so the first night was spent in a triple room instead (room 1). After the first day I came back to a room which had been left unlocked (with my things still in it!) and a note asking me to move to the originally intended room (room 6).

The place should have been strictly no smoking, but the room had an awful smell of cigars. I was happy though, as my parents room (room 7), had an even worse smell, which stemmed from the drain/sewer pipes. I was surprised they even managed to sleep there. The rooms were generally unclean, and the worst parts were the bathrooms which had very obvious mould problems. In my honest opinion this guest house needs a major refurbishment if it should ever be able to come close to what I would describe as decent.

The staff were all Chinese and did not seem to speak a word of English, besides from the standard courtesies - "Fried Egg or Scrambled Egg" etc. Communication was therefore more than hard, and when we called to say we would be a bit late due to our flight, we were not sure they had actually understood that.

They advertise with no extra charge for credit cards, but in fact they charge an extra 4%, which a sign that had clearly been on the wall for years also stated. Furthermore the descriptions of the place include "15 minutes walk to city centre", though when we fast walked down there at a reasonably fast pace it took us 45 minutes.

Rereading some of the reviews on the site we booked the guest house from, I cannot help but thinking that the owner put all those "super good" reviews there himself.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank GregersP

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Skegness
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Positive - Location, 40 minutes walk into central Oxford & On-site parking
Negative - Looks like a dingy bedsit on arrival, shabby & tired decor, out of date hygiene certificates in dining room, floors need cleaning, black mould on ceiling corners in room 4, bedside cabinet removed from between beds to reveal sweet wrappers, skirting boards had a layer of black mould running along, beds pushed up to wall to cover black mould running up the walls, blood stains underneath rails on towel rail.
I thanked the lord that my 7 year son didn't have to experience this
I was grateful that "Dew Drop" pub was close by to get suitably well oiled to face going back to the Adams Guest House
I paid £75 for the family room, which we can only put it down to a life experience, sorry that we didn't take any photos
3 SIMPLE WORDS - DON'T GO THERE

Room Tip: If u still insist on going, take bleach
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Stayed here for a night out in Oxford. Good location right by shops and bus stops. Off street parking was handy as it's all restricted parking otherwise. Breakfast was small but tasty. Not great English spoken so you'll need to be patient with the staff!

• Stayed March 2011
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I was stuck in a small converted attic room, given a single pillow for a double bed, hygine didnt seem to be high on the agenda, the tv was mounted so close I felt like I was in the show, the bed side lamp mounted to the wall did not have a bulb so a second light had been provided on a chair? The shower jumped from freezing to boiling, the breakfast was served on cold plates and the food was cold and seemed like it had been sitting around for a long time, when we asked for tea we were given coffee in a cafetiere but it was instant coffee and bad instant at that. The best part was leaving, but even this was terrible it was over priced. I would not recomend this to anyone, I have never written a review before but this was so bad have to warn people!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed June 23, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Adams Guest House in May 2010. If you're looking to spend couple of nights in Oxford, this is the must place to stay. Mere 15 minute walk from the town centre - the guest house is located in the posh centre of Summertown close to all amenities, it's very reasonably priced, the rooms are clean, big and well equipped and there is also space for parking for at least 2 cars. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, the breakfast great (traditional English + cereals, juices, fruit etc) and all in all Adams Guest House will satisfy you for 1 or 4 nights. I will definitely go and stay there again and can warmly recommend that to others as well.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
West Midlands
Reviewed June 14, 2010

We to had a surprise when we stayed here. we had a look on the web site and things looked OK for a budget guest house. But things were nothing like the web site. we were allocated room 7. The paper was hanging/ripped off the walls, there was a dirty pink sink in the room a dirty glass that I couldn't even touch and the bathroom was something else looked like it had never been cleaned, EVER. There was a wardrobe and cupboard also but didn't open these as I was to scared to see what I would find in there. We checked in and went straight out. got back late and because of the state of the place we slept with our clothes on because to bed didn't look to good and all the flooring was awful and dirty Surprisingly we slept quite well.Got up and Braved the breakfast which was OK but not very much of it. Looking at the other rooms there (some of the doors were opened as they were in changing the beds) they looked like they did on the web site(not to bad) I think the room we was in was only allocated to us as there was no where else for us to go, as the place was fully booked.They never commented on anything (if I had run the place I would have be to embarrassed to put anybody in this room) . The impression I got it was old student accommodation back in the 70's and not been touched because when you entered the room we were in there was a small room with one toilet in, a shower and a toilet in the next room then the bedroom. On the staircase going to our room there were signs pointing to our room saying toilets. Nobody could use them though cause I made sure I locked the door and put the chair out of the room up against the door. If I hadn't been visiting my son at the university I would have walked out and gone home.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple