“Swimming in Grease - inedible”
Review of The Mirabai

The Mirabai
Ranked #292 of 628 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Bangladeshi
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Swimming in Grease - inedible”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We bought a take away - Lamb Bhuna & Lamb Tikka Sag. Also had potato & cauliflower side dish.

we hated it. The lamb was really tough & chewy, the spinach was not fresh spinach as stated on the menu but clearly tinned and by far worst of all the dishes - even the cauliflower side dish was literally swimming in grease (Ghee?) You could, see it, taste it & feel it on your lips and around your mouth. Horrible! I have never met anyone who enjoys their food full of liquid fat. It's surely something known by professional restaurateurs. I was very shocked indeed.

I have used the restaurant lots before & it's been delicious. My companion diner left most of her food for the same reason. We felt our meal was a very disgusting and unhealthy mistake.

I really hope that they can take this feedback on board and change the liquid fat content of their food in the future.

To add insult to injury when I used the web email to send this to the restaurant it was returned as un-delivered. Even their email wasn't working - hence I came to this site to vent my spleen & express my disgust.

• Visited November 2013

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff, great food”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I've visited this restaurant several times with my girlfriend and others over the last few years. The service has always been friendly and quick. The flavours in the food are delicious. I've tried a decent amount of the menu.

Overall it's simply excellent and I keep going back because of this. It's not too pricey either, I'd say great value for money, especially the popadums! I've been 10 plus times now and there's never been a problem.

• Visited November 2013
“Excellent local restaurant!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

The Mirabai is my local Indian restaurant and I must say I don't go there often enough. The food is good and the staff courteous, polite and friendly.

• Visited April 2013
London
“Excellent local Indian restaurant”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Had an excellent early-evening dinner at this restaurant. Food had strong clear flavours and was accurately cooked. Friendly proprietor, prices reasonable, spot-on service.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank peterg67
“Regrettable”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We arrived quite late in the evening but long before the scheduled closing time. The place was empty but there was evidence of recent custom. Or to put it another way, it was a bit messy. The serving staff were polite in the main. However, they did not handle my complaint well.
The food was very poor. The poppadum were stale. We sent them back and the replacements were stale. The vegetable curry side dish was a tomato sauce with some peas in it. No flavour or texture. It was awful. We didn't eat it and complained. I was disappointed that the staff didn't justify it with an explanation about the recipe or something, and frankly I was appalled that I was still charged for it. The other dishes were no more than acceptable.
Very poor value for money. Evidence of poor ingredients and poor cooking. The lack of care in the food demonstrates that the kitchen staff have no investment in either their work or their workplace. Either way, the management should be ashamed.

• Visited June 2013