“Superficial unreliable Indian restaurant”
Review of The Mirabai

The Mirabai
Ranked #279 of 634 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Superficial unreliable Indian restaurant”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Unpleasant experience.

The staff was friendly to start with when I entered the place with another friend. We ordered several starters and some mains to share.

Whe one of the fish dish arrived (supposedly a freshwater fish from India/Pakistan), we just could not eat it as the fish was bad. When this was brought to the waiter's attention, he asked either the manager/proprieter to our table who then became hostile and declared to us that it was never mentioned in the menu the fish was fresh. We explained that the fish was bad and he just would not have it. In the end we just accepted that we will pay for the food if they would take the dish away and voila the smiles came back again.

The whole experience just goes to show how superficial these poeple and one has to wonder about the quality of the food that they produce even if some reviewers like the food.

Working nearby in Headington this would have been a regular place for me but after this experience, I have warned everyone at work in Headington to stay away lest they received similar treatment.

This visit was back in 2010 but it was such a bad experience and coming across this restaurant in tripadviser as one of the top recommended place in Oxford, I feel I need to share my experience with everyone.

Therefore the marked box of Jan 2012 below is done as it does not allow any review before this date.

• Visited January 2012
8 Thank Ryan T

“Fantastic!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have eaten in this restaurant many times over the years and the service and food has always been fantastic. This review was inspired by tonights home delivery however, which was just delicious. Te restaurant has been going for many, many years (which says a lot already) and is the first place I ever ate curry in the days where I needed to drink lots of water as a Korma was too spicy for me! I have tried many of the alternative restaurants in Oxford but would say this is the one I always come back to and remains my favourite. The spice is always just right, is never too rich or full of oil, Service is always perfect and I think if any local restaurant were to close down this would be the one I would be most disappointed about. Thank you for your consistent good service, delicious food and reasonable price. If you are looking for curry in Oxford I would recommend you gave this one a try.
Rachel, Marston.

• Visited November 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good food appalling service”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I've been to this restaurant many times but after my most recent visit I won't be going back. The food was it's usual good standard but the waiter service was dreadful. We ordered wine and when it arrived and I tasted it, it was clearly off. I told the waiter this, he just shrugged and said 'It's what you ordered, I've just got it out of the fridge'. I then tried to explain again thinking there may be a communication or understanding problem but half way through my explanation the waiter walked off. I then spoke to two other waiters trying to explain that the wine was off, they also ignored my comments and requests for a replacement bottle. Finally after going to the bar to speak with yet another waiter the bottle of wine was changed. This experience was distressing and embarrassing and completely ruined our meal. The waiters were rude and unhelpful and I wouldn't advise anyone to eat here. A shame as it used to be one of my favourite restaurants.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank DBUR14
Keighley, United Kingdom
“Super nosh”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Very pleasant staff with super food. I'm a vegetarian, and as such I'm used to finding only one or two curries to chose from. Hre there is a whole page to pick from! Very, very tasty, would eat here again if we ever went back to Oxford.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank mrsadc
“Royal service”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Me and my partner went to mirabai recently and had the best evening out in a long time,1st when we looked at the menu we thought its a bit expensive but the food quality was 100 percent,and the service was so good that you feel like a royal member,when we left the restaurant we had a smile on our face,and after the mirabai experience we thought we got more out of our money and its worth every penny.and thank you mirabai

2 Thank Banjytgj