“9.5/10! Better than the Pizza-Van. Best pizza in Oxford!”

Pizzeria Trattoria Mario
Ranked #95 of 690 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I lived in Oxford for two years, dined out frequently, and my biggest regret is finding this place on my LAST night in town. I had heard about the quality of its food, but had never gone. Finally, my fiance and I went a few weeks ago, and: the pizza is amazing. Best I've tasted in Oxford!!

The venue is small, and is decorated like a small and unassuming shop from the 1980s; so although it doesn't win style points, it certainly does add to the 'homespun Italian food' atmosphere (e.g. football jerseys on the walls, Godfather pictures, etc.). Service from an Italian waitress was amazing, but the British waitress we had was fairly snobby!

The Food: Calamari appetizer was delicious; fresh, crisp, not too oily. For the main course, we split a pizza and a pasta. Although the pasta was good (no complaints), the pizza was amazing. I've eaten at Oxford's legendary 'pizza van' countless times (it's the one parked outside of the gates to Christ Church), but this pizza was certainly better! For dessert, we had tartufo ice cream, which was also delicious. A solid meal! Even the house wine was decent!

This place eventually had a lineup out the door, so if you plan to go, I would go a little early. It's worth the trip out to Cowley!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

After reading reviews on TripAdvisor me and my Italian partner decided to check out Trattoria Mario. The place was packed and at the beginning we were told we can't get a table so we decided to order take away pizza. Then after 10 minutes the manager let us sit down at a table under the condition that we'd eat quickly. It was fine with us and nice of him to offer us a table. Unfortunately, the pizza was not good at all. Nothing to do with Italian pizza... Soggy base and bland toppings. The mozzarella di bufala had nothing to do with bufala... Would go again... definitely overrated!

1  Thank Sylwia K
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Definitely Oxford's best pizza base, if not necessarily always the highest quality toppings. That said, the price is good (takeaway especially) and the staff are friendly and obliging.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

The pizzas on the menu are all very good but the staff is very stressed out on busy nights; not sure why, perhaps there aren't enough people working the place. Recommend you visit on a weekday.

2  Thank Smallgoat
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Authentic pizza with authentic flavour made by real italians. I have tried the pasta options but the pizza wins every time. An excellent place for friends and family; a restaurant without pretension. There are excellent options for both meat eaters and vegetarians in equal measure. The prices are very reasonable and well worth a walk out of town for such delicious food.