“Good Food, Fantastic value for money”

Pizzeria Trattoria Mario
Ranked #135 of 634 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Good Food, Fantastic value for money”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The Cowley Road is known in Oxford for its diverse array of restaurants. Most of them catering to students and need to rely on repeat business. The street is also known as Europe's most diverse streets. It is ironic walking down the street you see some resataurans full to capacity and others empty.
Marios was full and we had to phone for a booking. It is a traditional Italian diner, small and reasonable. Service was excellent, Starters were good value and fine to taste. We had a table of 6 and each ordered pizza of varying tase and I asked for a salad. The Salad was excellent nice rich fresh veg and fine olive oil. The Waitress offere me some bread to go with it too.
I had a tasting of some of the Pizza, Excellent. Thin cripsy and truly Italian.
The place was packed, but had a great atmosphere.
Food for 6 including started and Martini's - the bill came to £64.44. It transpired the started were on the house... We enjoyed it and will be back there again... toilets were clean and presentable.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Friendlyface097

London
“One of the best pizzas I've had in years in a restaurant”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

As we live locally, we decided to pop in on an evening for a meal. We were lucky to get a table without reservation on arrival as the place is rather small and seems very popular. It's always busy.
I could be picky saying that the staff was not super friendly at first and the decor quite simple with tiny tables to fit as many as possible in the restaurant. It may be a little overpriced on the menu for the area, but wow, once the food arrived I was quite impressed. The flavours on the oven-baked pizza were simply amazing, I ordered a Firenze pizza and it was fantastic. Thin crust and light toppings but strong in flavour. My partner had some pasta and it was very fresh and tasty as well. Very yummy and easy to digest on the plus side.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank LondonDmgirl
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely unpretentious little place”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I'm quite obsessed with their 'aubergine alla Mario' - known as aubergine parmigiana to the rest of us... it really is very special and I rarely order anything else. It arrives sizzling hot, full of flavour, and perfectly cooked. I usually as for some bread on the side to soak up the extra sauce.

This is very informal, trattoria-style dining on the Cowley Road. The house red is tasty and good value. The pizzas looks good, and on the few occasions when I've been tempted away from my usual dish they have been tasty. Sometimes dining companions have ended up with slightly dull pasta dishes, but never any real complaints. But did I mention the aubergine parmigiana? Mmmmmmm...

Speedy service, and great for a quick meal before or after a film at the Ultimate Picture Palace.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank gabrielle_o
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Any niggles are swept away on the first bite!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

OK, so the male staff can be a bit cold - more traditionally English people might even say they were rude. But honestly, the pizzas are superb. Delicious. There's a really good selection - the Bresaola is fantastic. I can also recommend their pasta and calamari starters. It's pretty good value when you consider the price of chain pizza places (where the pizzas are vastly inferior) and it's well situated in the middle of Cowley Road, meaning that you can get to bar despite feeling full!

• Visited May 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Traditional Italian Food”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

One of our personal favourites, serving traditional Italian food. Very welcoming hosts and a friendly atmosphere. Must try the garlic flat bread!! The best well priced Italian restaurant Jamie's eat your heart out!!

• Visited May 2013