“Not amazing, but very comfy and great host!”

The Ridings Guest House
Ranked #63 of 81 Oxford B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not amazing, but very comfy and great host!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We originally booked the ensuite room but upon arrival, realised there was absolutely no light in that room. the window looks towards the wall of the house next door. We asked to switch to a room with a front view window and the host happily agreed, although it wasnt ensuite. Room #4 is GREAT! the bed is one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in, nice small flat screen t.v and the heating works great! The breakfast each morning was delicious and the host was very attentive about making sure we had coffee and toast at all times. The downside was that the bathroom had hairs all over the sink, and the B&B is not in the city center (but only 4 pound taxi straight there). Overall its a great cozy place to stay, dont expect a 4 star hotel, but its very charming. I think next time I would prefer to be IN the city center though.

Room Tip: Definitely request room #4 downstairs, although you do have to share a bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Ok where shall I start
When we arrived the manger greeted us well. Nice guy!

The next morning there was no staff.
the website said there was breakfast but there was no sign even though we came down well before nine.

My friends room was so cold she could hardly sleep she had to put layers on! Heating would be nice in room 2 and the staff should be there 24/7 looking after the guest and house

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Yssusdi
wales
Reviewed February 12, 2013

is a very pleasant and very warm. I stayed for one night and the manager was very nice and helped me and has a very nice staff. I could not stay longer but next time when y come to oxford will come straight here. recommend with pleasure

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I had the unfortunate experience of staying in this "guest house." I use the term guest house very loosely. From the moment you pull up outside the property you know that you are not going to be in for a very pleasant experience. The interior of the property is very dated but the biggest dissapointment was the "ensuite" bedroom?? The shower was actually in the bedroom - not in a different room like what would be the normal but actually about 4/5 feet away from the bed??!! The toilet and sink (which was the size of a postage stamp) was in what all I can describe as the wardrobe and was about 2 feet away from the end of the bed. And to top it all off the towels which were left on top of the bed were slightly damp.
It was a disgrace that they charged us nearly €110 for one night in this so called B&B and I would very much warn people not to stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian F

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Shanghai, China
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is the choice of my wife, but I do not think this is a wise choice.I can park the car in front of the hotel.Hotel near the bus station, and there are a lot of routes bound for Oxford.But if you want to walk to Oxford, I suggest you'd better scrap the whole idea.The landlord is very warm, but her daughter's apparent reluctance to greet any guests.The stairs apparently some disrepair, walking on it made ​​a loud noise.The bathroom door is more like a piece of wood hung in there, and the bathroom is very narrow.Bed fairly comfortable.The WIFI network speed is very fast.The breakfast is hearty, but unfortunately, my wife found a moldy grapes.Generally speaking, I think that the price of this hotel is inconsistent with its hardware facilities.I would not recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Do not choose the room which face to the wall!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed in the double ensuite room at the Ridings during a research trip to Oxford. Since I didn't know Oxford well, I was a bit apprehensive when I booked the room and realized that it was outside the city center; however, there was no trouble with this at all. A bus stops on the Abingdon Road about one block from the guesthouse every 10 minutes and it's only a 10-15 minute trip to the city center. I walked twice and the walk took only 20 minutes.

As others have noted, the hostess is wonderful. She's friendly and full of city information. She prepares each breakfast to order and brings her coffee cup into the breakfast room to talk with the guests--and clearly remembers many of them fondly. However, staying at The Ridings is very private; each guest can come and go as they like.

My room was quiet and warm. There are tea and instant coffee supplies. In the double ensuite, the shower is a glass enclosure in the corner of the bedroom (imagine having a wardrobe that is really a shower) and the toilet is a tiny closet with a sliding door. The bed had a closet and drawer headboard around it and some very nice reading lights that were easy to manage. If you are taller than maybe 5' 10", though, you might find the bed to be a bit short. In fact, if you are used to American-sized hotel rooms, this is going to be too small; however, if you are used to British and European-sized guesthouses, you'll have no trouble--even with carrying your suitcase up the stairs.

I would definitely stay here again and I recommend it to other travelers!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The Ridings is located 10 minutes or so outside Oxford centre. Fortunately, there is a bus stop only 50 m away and the bus stops many times pr hour.

The hostess is FANTASTIC! Very welcoming and helpful. Very extrovert. She runs the guest house pretty much by herself, but she still has time to help you throughout the day.

If you haven't stayed at a guest house before, please keep in mind that it is A HOUSE, meaning that there is not a bathroom in all rooms. In my case I had to use a (probably shared) bathroom/toilet located on the second floor, even though my room was on the ground floor, which I wouldn't concider handicap friendly or particularly private.
My room was facing the road and parking lot so I had to keep the curtains closed most of the time for privacy. As I rarely use my hotel rooms during the day it wasn't really a problem.

Breakfast is rich but reeeeeaaaally good, at least if you go for the full English breakfast (I didn't try anything else). The dining room is small and intimate and chatting with the other guest and hostess is pretty much unaviodable, which is not a bad thing (they most likely have great tips on what to see and where to go).

There is free wi-fi (just get the password from the hostess) and free TV.

PLEASE consider renting a room directly throught the guest house's own website or telephone and not via a major hotel site. They snatch up a huge percentage of the price...

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay at the Ridings and I would probably stay there again if I get to visit Oxford again.

Room Tip: I think second floor would be better than ground floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo