“Lovely weekend - well worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Talkhouse

and 1 more site!
The Talkhouse
Ranked #41 of 83 Oxford B&B and Inns
UK
“Lovely weekend - well worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

We spent a weekend at the Talkhouse in Stanton St John a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Stanton St John is a tiny village with 2 nice pubs and a village shop, set on a quiet country lane. The bedrooms, although small are rather cute with large ensuite facilities, that perhaps need a little updating, but are perfectly acceptable and clean. We got a very good deal on the Fullers website and were pleased that the pub lived up to our expectations. We ate both nights in the Talkhouse and the food was of a very high standard and John the Manager could not have been more helpful. We will definitely return when we next visit Oxford.

Room Tip: Of the 4 rooms surrounding the courtyard choose the ones furthest from the kitchen if possible
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoyUk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

Having booked the Talkhouse a couple of weeks in advance (via hotel.com), turned up at the hotel at 8pm only to find that they had no record of the booking and that they were full. Luckily, and unusually, I had the reservations paperwork with me. A lesson for the future perhaps. The GM, John McKay, gave my daughter (who was not due to stay overnight) and I a complimentary dinner whilst he made other arrangements for me.

The restaurant food and service can only be described as excellent, and a little bit different from the "run of the mill".

In the meantime, the GM made arrangements for me to stay at another hotel, also Fullers, a few miles away, also complimentary. On arrival at the other hotel, the manager was expecting me, and checked me in without any issues.

Having travelled my whole life, I have come to expect the odd cock up, and for me, the issue is not that the cock up has happended, but how the organisation concerned reacts to it. In this instance, I cannot think of anything more they could have done to correct the situation, particularily as the problem may not even have been their making, but could have been "hotel.com".

From the little I saw of the Talk House, the food and the service received in diffcult circumstances, I will definitely make a reservation with them again if I am in the area, although this time I will book direct.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank guf-uk
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

Booked this for a couple of nights break in Oxford. Firstly, it's an ideal location and also looks the part - chocolate box pretty. Room compact but very nice and nice big en suite. Food was fantastic, and staff friendly and helpful. Very reasonable room rates and food too, hence 5 stars as ideal for the price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Neil H
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

We chose the Talkhouse as we were looking for somewhere to stay for a night away that was relaxed, had good food, good beer and a real fire. The rooms were very comfortable and warm, the pub/restaurant had a lovely atmosphere. We were able to look over the menu whilst having drinks and were shown to our table once the meal was ready, so many places these days you feel you are straight in for dinner. Although I had my eye on a table near the fire, I don't think you would ever have a bad place to sit. Nearer the fire is nearer the kitchen but the larger of the dinning areas is quieter. The food was excellent and the service great, you didn't feel like they were rushing to have you served in order for the next lot of diners to arrive.

Breakfast - quality ingredients from local farmers. After a walk in the snow we came back to the pub to sit and read the Sunday papers. The Sunday lunch looked really good, but sadly we were too full still from breakfast to indulge. Next time.....

Room Tip: The rooms lead straight tot he patio area which is not a problem in winter but if you are planning o...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lucy N
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

Date of stay: 10th Feb 2012

The Talkhouse is a very nice place to stay if you are in the Oxford area.

The pub itself is an 'olde world' style pub with real fires and a good choice of beers. The food is quite 'high end' for a pub but there are no pretentions in the atmosphere, with dogs welcome and very much a local feel.

The accommodation is very nice and clean. The rooms are almost like little cottages at the back of the pub but they were very warm and comfortable despite the cold weather outside.

Service is always friendly and welcoming and it is clear that the owners have a good handle on how to run a place like this effectively.

There were no moans at all - just a couple of 'even better ifs'. There was no milk with the coffee making facilities and despite booking breakfast for 8am, the doors were not opened to the main pub until about 8.20am.

In summary though, a great, reasonably priced place to stay within easy reach of the city centre. Ideal for short breaks, wedding weekends or romantic breaks.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris T
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

We had a family gathering at The Talkhouse on Saturday 21st January (12 adults, 5 children aged from 2 years to 10). My impression is that this establishement is aiming at the gastro pub going market. The short menu wasn't best suited to young children, and although we asked if some of the menu choices could be tweaked for the younger members of the party, our request was refused (I'd asked for the pasta to be served with a basic tomato sauce, rather than the chilli, olives and capers sauce). One of the children is a coeliac - the kitchen did make a special fish and chips for her, but the fish was oily, and had a strange, metal taste to it. Of the other dishes sampled by our group, the scallop starter was way too small for the price (just 2 small scallops for £8??), the sharing platters were also small given the cost (£10 - £12 each), particularly the vegetarian one; the venison pie - although well filled, was fatty; the sea bass was bland, the chicken with chorizo was tasty, although it was obviously too popular as there wasn't enough portions for the demand! We didn't bother staying for dessert, as at £70/couple (admittedly that did include one bottle of white, and 2/3 bottles of red wine between the party), and with limited choice of puddings, we all went home for coffee and pud! Service - was slow, with the waiter appearing stressed (I woundn't say it was particularly busy). That needs to improve, given the cost of the food! To cap it all, we'd printed money-off vouchers from their website which would have given us £10 off per 4 people eating, and were told we could only use 1 voucher for the entire party!

I won't be recommending this establishment to anyone else, nor will I eat again unless I know its improved!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

We are from London and one of our friends was going to come from LA/America, so we bought the Good Pub Guide to see where we could take her to a different place.
When she was here we took her to The Talk House and the funny thing was when we got there we noticed that we have been there before when we were on holiday around Oxfordshire, and we loved that place since the first time.

We went there on a Sunday morning around 11:30, but we didn't know that we had to book a table on Sundays, so we reserved a table for 16:30 late that day and went to Oxford to show our guest this Astonishing City and went back to The Talk House for our early supper, which was stupendous, the Food and the Service.

She loved it and we had a Great Time.

Many Thanks to all at The Talk House