“Pre stay review” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
U.S.
“Pre stay review”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

My wife and I will be staying at Ethos in September. I will write a review of the actual hotel stay after our visit but the experience even before the stay has been worth noting.

Their website was reporting the only available room was a luxury sweet, a bit too much of a budget buster for us. We contacted the hotel via e-mail and received a response with in the hour offering a deluxe room at a very exceptional price. I spoke with the manager a few times via e-mail during the course of the day. The manager was very helpful, courteous, and responded in a very timely manor.

I am looking forward to a wonderful stay.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Skitzi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2009

A Lovely Oasis in a Bustling City

On my first ever trip to the UK; the Ethos Hotel was a lovely oasis away from the bustle of the city center. My traveling companion and I took the bus from Heathrow to a taxi stand about ten minutes from the hotel. Upon arriving, my reception was warm and friendly which was great!

My room located on street level, was modern with clean lines--refreshing and relaxing all at once. The room was tastefully done and I was quite pleased. I really am becoming more eco conscious every day and the hotel was pleasing in their efforts to be green. Guests are given the option to reuse towels if so desired. The low flush toilet worked well and that was a plus. The bathroom was nifty. I like the fact that it did not have a shower curtain. A kind of cool hinged glass partition acted as the shower curtain. To my thinking, less muck and germs! However, if one has a room mate there’s no room to be shy. I also truly enjoyed the heated towels rack. It was lovely to emerge from the shower and wrap oneself in that bit of toasty comfort. The down comforter on the bed was sweet, and though I have back problems I awoke with no discomfort from the bed which some might think too soft.

Staying alone, I really wasn’t thrilled to be on the street level, but weighed the pros and cons of accessibility versus cowardice. However, as fate would have it I was asked to move to another room. It was smaller, but just as well appointed. The TV shrunk with the size of the room, but that wasn’t earth shattering. I was not successful connecting to the wi-fi, but the RJ45 cable worked well so I was able to use my laptop with no problem, except loss of mobility.

The hotel is situated in a quiet neighborhood and that helped to allay my fears. A couple of the locals I happened to meet on the way to the city center were gracious and friendly. The city center was within walking distance which was convenient, as much as I had no car and I am not fond of public transportation.

The breakfast basket and snacks provided was fine. I like cold cereal any way—so I was happy. However, folks who want a warm breakfast won’t be pleased. The kitchenette proved to be most helpful. Also, if having an exercise room in close proximity is a desire, you’ll be disappointed. One other bit of advice, the clock I requested was much too bright and should be changed to something with less intense ambient light. I covered it the first night and then just unplugged it after that.

I would like to thank Lel and Dave, and all the staff who made my stay at the charming Ethos lovely and wonderful.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Bagitup
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

I was concerned when the other half said he had booked here as I wasn't sure what to expect. I was very pleased he did choose the Ethos Hotel. The place is tucked away in a residential area so is very quiet but it only took us 10 minutes to walk right into the city centre. Parking isn't provided at the hotel but there is on street parking in the next street and the receptionist kindly told us where the best place the park was. The room we had was big and very comfortable. The whole hotel seems to be very modern and it really works well. The facilities were first rate and I couldn't fault the cleanliness. The staff were very nice and happy to answer our many questions on where to go, what to see and the best restaurants to try.

1 Thank Doodles1978
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

We arrived at the Ethos in the pouring rain under the impression that there was free street parking close to the hotel as stated on the website and previous email. This turned out to be about a 10 minute walk away and you could only leave your car there for 24 hours with no return within 8 hours. There are only 6 spaces and when we got there these were full. We went back after while and got a space. This put us in a bad mood for the beginning of our weekend..

When we did get into our room it was really very nice and I cannot fault this. It was decorated beautifully to a high standard and extremely clean. It was on a nice residential street in walking distance of the river, Christ Church and the town centre. The breakfast consisted of some fruit, cereal and muffins left in a basket in your room. There was tea and coffee although there was only chamomile and peppermint tea.

We had a problem with the toilet and sink. The water would not drain away so we were unable to use them and when we told the receptionist she said she would try to get someone out that day to fix it. She said there wasn’t another room available to change us to and just to use the toilet in reception. I wasn’t too impressed with that. When we returned to our room later that day it had been fixed.

Good points: Rooms are excellent. Location is very good. Oxford is lovely
Bad points: Parking, having to use the toilet in reception

1 Thank Lori19
St. John's, NL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2009

Whle the Ethos has a great location and is clean with a spacious bed-room and good bed, the bathroom was very poorly planned (and repeatedly annoying) and the arrangement for in-house breakfast was simply second-rate. For 130 GBP supermarket muffins, instant coffee, no cheese etc., nothing to put on a muffin or toast ( no bread though toaster is provided!) the "breakfast" was a rip-off. No provision, either, of a place to eat the box of cereal or drink the juice box.! The Ethos, we found, was a very poor buy ......... for travellors with expectations derived from travel within Britain, France, Canada or US......it will be a most disappointing stay.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2009

This was my first stay in Oxford so wanted to be close to the action. This place is. A 5 minute walk to the river and then a couple more minutes to Corpus Christie.

This place has more of a B&B feel crossed with a serviced apartment. It is in a converted house and is quite small. Doesn't feel like a hotel. But the room has great appointments including a kitchenette. Not quite self catering unless you eat microwave meals. But a decent fridge and cutlery etc. The TV is a good'en as well.

Reception too makes it feel like a b&b in terms of service. I really liked this place. It was cheaper than The Bank and some other hotels but certainly not cheap. Some of the B&B's just out of town may well be better value so best check.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Maryland, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2009

My wife and I spent 2 nights at the Ethos during an uncommonly hot week in July, and we were very glad to be there. The hotel is on a residential street, but is just 3 minutes walk from the Thames at Folly Bridge. Very new, spotlessly clean. Bed is large and a bit soft, but fantastically comfortable. Small kitchenette in room (sink, fridge, oven - combination microwave/grill/convection) was very much appreciated. Free WiFi worked just fine. A/C is easily controlled, and was much needed when the rest of Oxford was steaming. Bathroom is well appointed. Bernadette was very welcoming. Breakfast basket was nothing to write home about, but the thought was appreciated, and it was easy enough to pick up extras for the fridge. Lots of outlets for plugging stuff in - not something to take for granted in hotels in the UK. We felt very comfortable at the Ethos, and would happily return again.
As others have pointed out, parking is not a strength. The only nearby overnight parking seems to be on an adjacent street, where very few 24 hour spaces are available. We lucked out, but it's anything but ideal. If we hadn't found a space, then we would have had to take the car to the Redbridge Park + Ride a couple of miles away on Abingdon Road. For a stay of more than 2 days, one might even need to use a Park + Ride on the opposite side of the city. (Still, this is consistent with the aggressive car control measures throughout Oxford nowadays). I am not sure how well the place will stand the test of time - much of the attractive looking decor looks like an IKEA catalogue, and closer inspection reveals that this is no accident. I had been looking forward to using the iPod docking alarm, but was disappointed to find that it's not iPhone compatible.