“Car parking fines, ants, security issues.... Avoid!”

Ethos Hotel & Caffe
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
London, United Kingdom
“Car parking fines, ants, security issues.... Avoid!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This "hotel" has an odd set up. Reception is in one building and the rooms are round the corner. We were in a room which had full length glass windows about 0.5m from the street, which was quite noisy, but there were luckily black out blinds so we got quite a good sleep.

The breakfast is cereal and muffins left in the room, which I thought was adequate.

However, the room was completely infested with ants. They were all over the bathroom floor and in the cracks between the bathroom and bedroom - maybe keeping food in the room wasn't such a good idea after all. The staff were not interested when we called to tell them about the ant infestation.

The icing on the cake would have to be the car parking ticket. We were told where to park, that hotel residents can park in this area. After parking the car, we even went back to reception to confirm and were told it would be fine to leave the car there. We have tried to get in touch with the hotel, but calls are directed to some sort of call centre, and surprise surprise, we haven't had a call back from the general manager.

A word on security - When we left the hotel, the receptionist actually forgot to ask us for the key back. Luckily we realised we still had it within about 15 mins and returned it to reception. These are proper keys and not key cards, so made me concerned about how secure these rooms are if staff are not careful to collect keys afterwards. Especially as the rooms open directly onto the street.

I try to review hotels fairly, and I would honestly say avoid this place. I, for one, will not be returning! It's also very expensive, but I presume this is typical for this part of Oxford.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anon543
review-responder, General Manager at Ethos Hotel & Caffe, responded to this review, March 4, 2017
We are sorry you experienced these issues. The hotel is now under new management, and offers a fully licensed bar and restaurant/pizzeria, offering cask conditioned real ale, fine wine, Lavazza espresso, full english breakfast and Might Leaf afternoon tea. We offer a "Bubbly Reception" (complimentary Prosecco, Cava or Champagne upon arrival), as well as Italian chocolates. We also provide a complimentary grazing table throughout the day, warm scones at 2pm, canapé with drinks between 6pm and 8pm, and complimentary antipasto and petit four to enjoy with a night cap from 8.30pm to 10pm. If you visit Oxford again, please contact me directly, at: manager@ethoshotels.co.uk, so I can arrange a complementary upgrade to one of our comfortable and spacious Suites.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a lovely experience in a quiet residential neighborhood easy walking to foods,shops and historical attractions. I would definitely stay here again and recommend to travelers On a business trip or looking for something more bed-and-breakfast type without the cost.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed here a couple of years ago on my honeymoon. I arrived in Oxford in pouring rain and I was feeling miserable. I was, however, so delighted to arrive at this hotel. It was sparkly clean, new and the décor was pop and contemporary. We also loved a breakfast basket every morning.

I recommended this hotel to a friend of mine who recently visited Oxford and she and her husband loved it. I take my reputation extremely seriously and I am happy that my friends were happy, too. I will definitely go back there next summer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CarinaBellina
clitheroekid91
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Ok so this isn't a hotel. However I'm here now however and am perfectly happy with everything as it is. Firstly the manager I think is Scandanavian. He's not rude it's just cultural differences thats all. Hes fine. The place is very modern clean and comfortable. It's ten minutes walk to the centre and there's free parking five minutes walk away. Check in was early at 2 - very smooth no problems and the manager was here within five minutes of ringing. I paid a good price and I know other reviewers have paid 200 GBP etc however I can only assume that that's while oxford uni functions are on /in term time. That's to be expected I'm afraid. If you go to London during the Olympics expect the prices to double etc......get my drift. All in all it doesn't deserve the slating that some have given it. Just make your mind up what you want - good standard accommodation only near to the city or a hotel and all three facilities. This is Oxford!

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I cannot write anything about the rooms etc, as I did not get to stay at this hotel because there was a stuff up with my booking. I had booked and received a confirmation email and reference number from Expedia. I also received reminder emails from Expedia. When my husband and I arrived at the hotel, no room was available for us. I ensured the girl working behind the desk I had a booking and showed her my confirmation. She called the manager and passed the mobile phone to me to talk to him. He blamed Expedia for the mix up. When I asked him what we could do now, he said he would find us a hotel with an available room. We wait and after 10 minutes, he called back and said the Nanford Guest House had a room. I quickly used TripAdvisor to find out that it had a rating of one and a half stars. The reviews of this hotel are frightening. Nanford Guest House has recently been voted Britain's worst hotel! There is also some more sinister information about this hotel, if you do an online search. I insisted I wouldn't be staying there, of course. Luckily, I did a search and found a room at the Holiday Inn. The last room in all of Oxford, in fact, as the British Grand Prix was happening in nearby Silverstone. I cannot believe this manager would even suggest such a place like the Nanford Guest House! Expedia are investigating the issue, and whether I was charged for the room, but they are yet to make contact with the Ethos Hotel Manager. Mmmm...at least they let me have Internet access, I guess.

Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Lyn S
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 2, 2013

A nice appropriately priced property. Reasonably spacious by European standards. Bathroom in need of repair with chipped paint, rusted fixtures and missing shower curtain. Ample basket of carbs for breakfast or snacks. Room has fridge and microwave. Free wifi with reasonable throughput. When staff was present, half the time they didn't speak English and had no idea of the answer to simple touristy questions (eg. closest ATM). So, if you are fairly self sufficient and don't need a full service hotel in the city center, this is a good choice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed in the suite room for 2 nights. The carpet is threadbare and the walls heavily marked. The sink tap comes off in your hand. The reception is only occasionally staffed and you have to phone for help.
The hotel took an extra £100 off my credit card after leaving. I have emailed them for an explanation but no response from them. I will now have to contact my credit card company and the police. I will not stay a 3rd time here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple