“Weekend Break”
Review of Ethos Hotel Oxford

Ethos Hotel Oxford
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stay here on a weekend break to Oxford, locations was a short 15 walk from the city centre, in a very quiet residential location. Room was small but very clean and tidy, no breakfast facility but a good clean hotel to rest your head on a short break. Take advantage of the beautiful walk along the river.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 16, 2012

it was easy to park the car in front of the hotel and unload the bags. You're not allowed to park the car there, but your plate number is written down, so you may park one street further (walk less than a minute) next to the sports field. Although the sign states that you can not park more than 2 hours, the hotel manager assured us that they made arrangements (maybe a cigar or 2 the right way?) and indeed, it worked out fine. The room was comfortable, nice bed and quiet. Bathroom and coffee available, short walk to town. It's really close to Christchurch college. It has the feel of a B&B and may be a bit pricey, but overall I think it's more than OK.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The hotel was very basic, the description of "a few minutes' walk" from the City Centre was not really true and the description of "plenty of street parking" is a fallacy. All of the street parking nearby needs a residency permit. There are some other spaces several hundred yards away, which is not great when you have heavy luggage. The WiFi did not work properly all evening, the hotel ran out of pillows, the room was cold and, to cap it all, I checked my bank statement a few days later and the hotel had charged me twice! I go to Oxford fairly regularly and this hotel would be very much a last resort. I am really fairly easily pleased and this is my first bad review. Please do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank HarryHotspur1959
review-responder, General Manager at Ethos Hotel Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2017

We are sorry you experienced these issues. The hotel is now under new management, and offers a fully licensed bar and restaurant/pizzeria, offering cask conditioned real ale, fine wine, Lavazza espresso, full english breakfast and Might Leaf afternoon tea. We offer a "Bubbly Reception" (complimentary Prosecco, Cava or Champagne upon arrival), as well as Italian chocolates. We also provide a complimentary grazing table throughout the day, warm scones at 2pm, canapé with drinks between 6pm and 8pm, and complimentary antipasto and petit four to enjoy with a night cap from 8.30pm to 10pm. If you visit Oxford again, please contact me directly, at: manager@ethoshotels.co.uk, so I can arrange a complementary upgrade to one of our comfortable and spacious Suites.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel lacks a Presence except between say 9am and 5pm. I arrived around three and was courteously shown to my room. But that what was it.

Retrurning around nine-ish for bed, there was no one downstairs. In my room I had many queries. No one who could explain the room (How to work the heating, the shower, the TV, the phone )was available. There was no room note in the room. I got no supervisor contact with the phone help numbers and gave up saying that unless someone called back by 9.30 p.m.they could forget it. No one called back. The answering service (!) that I got through to kept on demanding my “contact number.” Saying I was in room 11 obviously meant nothing to them. The question simply got repeated. Your contact number?Your contact number? Perhaps all communications with this hotel require giving the number of my private cell phone?

By the time I found the heating thermostat I had tried in some sort of desperation to open windows.

The windows turned out all to have broken sashes and to have been painted shut.

The hotel had a of useful things for guests. But they were not in tthe room. No one said they existed. I found on my 3rd day , under the reception desk if you leant over it to look, a bundle of maps of Oxford and a heap of Bibles and Qurans. In my innocence I have always supposed that these things were distributed to rooms, not hoarded covertly like scarce coal.

Good : the room was immaculately clean.
The hotel was very quiet, almost eerily so. I believe there were other guests while I was there but no noise suggested that. This is an unusual achievement.
The bed was very comfortable and would have been OK for two.
The room had good towels although no face cloth (flannel.) In the UK flannels are rare for some reason.
There is a safe in one of the cudbiards with on it, instructions how to work it. See, it can be done.

Bad:-
This hotel lacks a Presence except between say 9am and 5pm. I arrived around three and was courteously shown to my room. But that was it.

No contact person available -- I was misled finding the heating thermostat by a more obvious similar device saying do not alter. Returning around nineish first night for bed, there was no one downstairs at Reception. In my room I found the temperatures stifling. The various help numbers quoted in a note pasted to the Recep desk could not put me through to anyone who could explain the room Perhaps all communications to this hotel’s rooms require private mobile phone numbers? I really did have the odd feeling that the numbers I was given were to people who had no idea I was in a hotel, or which one.
There is no lift.
On checking out, neither I nor reception raised the Q where had I left the keys? I found them that day in my pocket 100 miles later. It is the duty of the guest to return themon leaving; but an experienced hotel will have come across wandering keys before, and made enquiry on check out.

I had the odd feeling that those connected with the hotel had not done management training. I notice on looking quickly at some Ethos existing reviews that they are less complimentary than the star rating they gave would suggest; maybe people fill these thngs in without reading over, or not yet having written what they have to.

There is no parking near the hotel

By the time I found the heating thermostat I had tried to some sort of desperation to open some windows.

The windows turned out all to have broken sashes AND to have been painted shut. Reception commented that the builders must have ‘left it like that.” There was no bulb in the stand lamp by the desk..

The room was on booking described as a “luxury” room, costing on booking an nonrefundable 403.75 pounds for three days paid back in June. The room was in fact rather small, the bed occupied most of it , and there was only one chair. Only two sets of utensils were supplied for guest use was; I abandoned early on the thought of inviting my grandchildren to play in it.

The hotel itself had a various necessary or useful things for guests. Things normally left in the room. Under the reception desk if you over it to look, there was a bundle of (good) maps of Oxford. Reception found one for me from under their desk during one of our rare encounters. And a bundle of Bibles and Qurans. In my innocence I have always supposed that these things were to be found in the rooms, not secreted away.
The breakfast is good , in a restaurant a 3 minute walk away. But the 2nd day the chef never turned up so I breakfasted elsewhere. The 9-5 presence, when phoned, said he would come over to see what the problem was. He did not turn up. Thinking he would be along sometime, I left a whole pile of complaints with the restaurant, including most of these complaints, for him to read ; he mentioned on a rare encounter later that he knew I had left him a message but had “not picked it up yet”. I have had no comments about it from the hotel..

In the bathroom was a nice Kleenex container with no Kleenex box in it. I left a note for the cleaners to supply this but nothing happened. I pressed the 9-5 guy on this and for the last day, behold, a Kleenex box was in the Kleenex box container. I got the impression, by this time, that nobody inspects the rooms to see what in fact is in there. The lack of a map and the means of understanding the room drove me particularly mad.

I have never before stayed in a hotel with no guide in the room to the room , its facilities: how to use the phone even. I wonder what would happen if a customer at 7am say were to spill wine or ink on the carpet and sought the hotel staff to help with the clear up? There being (effectively) no hotel staff, maybe the question cannot arise.

This hotel has been expensively and well refurbished quite recently: but nobody, it seems, has ever been back into the rooms to ask: is everything here as it should be? How would a travel weary guest know what to do?

Room Tip: It might have been wise if I had stipulated room selection at the time of booking. My guess is that...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Keith W
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Ethos Hotel is situated down a residential side street fairly close to the centre of Oxford. We arrived quite early but our room was ready. The welcome was good and the room small but comfortable, nicely decorated and with all the needed facilities. The bathroom was small. Breakfast was at a restaurant round the corner on Folly Bridge, a five minute walk away - a bit inconvenient in the rain. After dark access was by entrance code to the outside door and room. We had a very good night's sleep. No problems with the hotel at all but it was quite expensive at £150 per night. I would not have expected to pay more than around £90. But maybe that is the going weekend rate for Oxford!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I booked this hotel thinking i was going to a great hotel. I read the reviews and on trust booked. what a mistake I made ! This is not a true hotel but more like a glorified backpackers. we didnt get a special deal like previous reviewers so paid full price and not worth the money we paid.
The room was small and L shaped. True the ammenities are new, but i felt we were sleeping in a cupboard upstairs. The man at the desk couldnt smile and was not very helpful when i asked for another room, even though the room downstairs was empty the two days we were there. Ask for the dimensions of the room before you book this hotel. If your arriving by car there is no private parking on site, you will need to park in the next street.

Room Tip: Room number 4 upstairs is too be avoided..very small
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nenad1960

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Booked the SkyLoft Suite with my girlfriend and I for our anniversary. We were greeted by a friendly receptionist who helped us to our room. The room was beautifully decorated with plenty of space and two levels. The super king size bed was amazing! We had one of the best nights sleep in ages. Sky tv upstairs and downstairs was a nice addition as was the fast WiFi which we had no problems with. The room had beautiful views of the spires and was in a great location, only a few minutes walk to the city center. Lovely bathroom and shower, and a great peaceful stay at Ethos. It IS pricey but you get what you pay for. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple