Ethos Hotel Oxford
Euro Bar(Oxford)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
All reviewsa quiet residential areamini apartmentunderfloor heatingcity centresmall kitchenfridge and microwaveexecutive suitebig tvminute walkchrist church collegethe hotel managerwet roomgood pointsgreat rooma lovely stayhome from homeleave the car
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 21, 2012

we stayed here at the weekend on a Groupon deal. I was a little apprehensive after reading the reviews on here but we found it to be very clean and comfortable and the lady on the front desk was lovely and helpful. We stayed in room 9 which was nicely decorated and the little kitchenette was well equipped. The location is great for wandering into the City Centre. Parking wasn't too bad because we arrived late afternoon so could park round the corner but we had to move the car in the morning. The breakfast basket was fine for us. I think the room was excellent value for a £60 Groupon voucher but not sure I'd pay full price.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Great location in Oxford but a few things need to be attended to. My room/apartment smelt of damp. Some light bulbs had not been replaced. There is no full length mirror. The breakfast basket is inadequate. For the money, a proper continental breakfast should be provided. It is not a hotel as it provides no services/facilities. Female staff member was friendly: male was not. Not bad but cold be much better for money.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

My dad went to Oxford Uni (all those years ago) and my mum booked this overnight stay for four of us to take a short trip down memory lane.

Despite the mixed reviews I enjoyed it. The hotel (or apartment as some might call it) is a converted townhouse at the end of a quiet, pleasant street about 10 minutes' walk from the centre of town. Our room was spacious and very clean, with a nice big comfy bed, little kitchenette and plenty of storage. It was quiet and we slept well. Yes, we had to park on a neighbouring street on the Saturday evening, but we brought the car round on Sunday and got a spot opposite the hotel.

My mum informed us before we got there that breakfast was an in-room affair so I didn't mind the cereal, muffins, carton of juice and teas and coffees provided in the kitchenette. My mum and dad got fresh muffins in their room whereas ours were pre-packaged but, nonetheless, it was all fine.

On reading of others' complaints, I can totally understand how frustrating it would be to come from abroad and find the reception unattended, little communal space and/or no parking available. For a short, independently booked stay, however, we found the staff informative, the decor quite cool and the whole experience a really nice one. The owner (French? Polish? We couldn't tell) is planning on re-vamping the bistro opposite and I look forward to returning to sample to fare.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Fozzy_Bear_79
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Booked this room through Groupon offer. After phone and email contact with the hotel, finally agreed a date (as many of the preferred dates were unavailable). We used the park & ride at Redbridge, very reasonable and about 1 mile away from the hotel, rather than risk a parking space saga.

Male receptionist was friendly enough and showed us to room 8 - carpet a bit stained looking but a reasonable room for the price. The bed was amazing, huge and comfy with big squishy pillows, had a great night's sleep. The breakfast was a bit lacking - small cartons of fruit juice, yoghurts, cereal bars and individual boxes of cereal, but the bottle of wine and Ferrero Rocher made up for it.

I agree that it's more like a room let, than a hotel, but it's fairly close to the town centre (walkable, and less than £5 by taxi) and you're paying for the location rather than the facilities.

I would recommend and would use again.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I was extremely disappointed to find out that this small boutique hotel was nothing more than a self catered, over priced scam in the middle of a bad neighborhood. Lack of communication and third party reservations made for a miscommunication and horrible mix up. Months ahead I booked our room and asked if it was possible to check in late. I was told on the phone that would be no problem. The day of arrival we were in the midst of travel, flights and buses, therefore unreachable by internet or phone. It was by email the Hotel notified us there would be a code to enter the building (and not a single person would be greeting us) upon arrival. This was an email we never received. We arrived in a down pour, late for an event...hoping to quickly shower and make it late. We found no one in the Hotel and a locked front door. Very confused we had to use our international calling to contact the "Third" party to inquire how to get in. After a long time reaching the third party, we were given a code that did not work! It was nearly an hour before a human employee arrived to let us in and discovered that yes indeed the code was NOT working. Needless to say the entire situation put me off. We were then shown to a room down a hallway that smelled of cat pee and given a horrid breakfast basket of newsagent type foods. The worst of it all was that our complaints went on deaf ears and the manager avoided us completely. Not only will I never stay at the ETHOS HOTEL again, I have warned all my friends not to stay here as well, and I've told my local friends to pass the word around town at how inefficiently run and uncaring these people are.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Christine W
review-responder, General Manager at Ethos Hotel Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2017

We are sorry you experienced these issues. The hotel is now under new management, and offers a fully licensed bar and restaurant/pizzeria, offering cask conditioned real ale, fine wine, Lavazza espresso, full english breakfast and Might Leaf afternoon tea. We offer a "Bubbly Reception" (complimentary Prosecco, Cava or Champagne upon arrival), as well as Italian chocolates. We also provide a complimentary grazing table throughout the day, warm scones at 2pm, canapé with drinks between 6pm and 8pm, and complimentary antipasto and petit four to enjoy with a night cap from 8.30pm to 10pm. If you visit Oxford again, please contact me directly, at: manager@ethoshotels.co.uk, so I can arrange a complementary upgrade to one of our comfortable and spacious Suites.