“Beautiful, Stylish Hotel”
Review of Ethos Hotel Oxford

Ethos Hotel Oxford
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed July 5, 2011

This is a truly stylish boutique hotel. We live in Oxford but stayed here the night of our wedding and it really did make it a special day. The room was immaculate, the views over Oxford (which we see a lot) were stunning at night. The carpets were so thick and soft, everything was of such great quality. They left us a lovely bottle of champagne. Only downside was there was no where to have a lovely breakfast, we had coffee, cereal, muffins but were not fresh and didn't spoil a thing. I think the addition of a more special breakfast would have made this 100% a pleasure.

Room Tip: The room at the top of the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 31, 2011

We (my family of four) arrived at the Ethos Hotel in Oxford via Taxi after flying into London. We had booked two rooms (because finding a room with two beds in Oxford is next to impossible) for one night. As we're staying in Oxford for two months, we'd be checking into our short let apartment the next day.

At first I wasn't sure the taxi driver had stopped at the right place. We were in the middle of a neighborhood of run-down row houses. Basically, the student ghetto. The building of the hotel itself is in far better condition, but it was still strange.

We were able to check in quickly and were given rooms 1 and 4 around a short path on the side of the building. It would have been nice to have adjoining rooms, but I think we booked the last two available rooms.

My first impression of the two rooms was "nicely done, but small." The bed definitely takes up the majority of the room, but it is very comfortable. The more time I spent looking at the furnishings over the course of the evening, however, the more I noticed little things that make you think they could have done better for a rate like £180/night. I love Ikea stuff, but I don't think their furniture is appropriate for a high traffic hotel room. The bedside tables were all scratched up, and the cupboard doors were hanging wonky. The bathroom was very nice, but because the room is so small, you can't really get into the bathroom unless the desk chair is pushed in all the way. A few things I noticed about the bathroom - a knob was missing from the shower control and from the towel heater. The tub squeaks when you move about on it like it wasn't given the proper support underneath when installed. The exhaust fan is totally useless. I don't think the mirrors had unfogged by the time we left the room which was hours and hours after my shower.

The walls are definitely paper-thin. I listened to my neighbors' conversation at 2am, and I'm sure they appreciated my son's big mouth starting up upon waking at 6:30am.

The internet connection worked perfectly when plugged into my computer, but I couldn't get the wifi to work with my iphone.

Some people have complained about the breakfast, but I thought it was ok. Especially if you supplement it with some fruit and juice from the Tesco Express down the street.

The location is really ideal for walking into Oxford's city center. We had about 4 hours between checkout and when we could check into our short let apartment, and the desk attendant was nice enough to let us leave our mass amount of luggage in her little office area. I'm sure it was inconvenient for her to have all of our stuff in her way, but she saved us as I have no idea what we'd have done with it all otherwise.

In general, the Ethos is a perfectly lovely place to stay, but the price makes you look harder at little faults that you probably wouldn't think twice about otherwise.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank LFoley
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Not far from the centre of town. Comfy bed. Neutral decor. Clean.
BUT my 'superior' room was very pokey, low ceiling, hardly big enough for the bed. It must be about the smallest room you could fit a double bed in... Blackout curtains not wide enough for the windows.
And the breakfast pack is certainly not luxury ... bits of a Kellogs variety pack, cheap oily muffin, cheap yoghurt and a muesli bar. Wifi connection did not work.
Luxury? No. Overpriced? Yes.

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger room!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Lafcadio
Reviewed March 10, 2011

Hotel is in a residential part of Oxford but only a 10 minute walk to town or £5 taxi fare. Parking is in another residential street 2/3 minutes walk away. Very modern and very clean most of it opperates on a key pad entry system which worked well and was explained by the staff and backed up with written instructions. The little kitchenette in the room was quiet handy if only for the fridge / freezer and glasses. The continental breakfast basket was ample and of reasonable quality, handy if your hungover and can't face leaving the room!!! Definately more of a nice studio appartment than a hotel. At £125 a night it's not cheap, I would stay here again but would certainly look at other hotels for a better rate.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank mangledfish
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Really disappointing. We were kept awake all night by the noise of a faulty fridge, which made a loud buzzing noise for twenty minutes every half hour. I reported this in the morning but was not offered a discount. Very expensive and not at all luxurious. Convenient location.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nolanef
review-responder, General Manager at Ethos Hotel Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2017

We are sorry you experienced these issues. The hotel is now under new management, and offers a fully licensed bar and restaurant/pizzeria, offering cask conditioned real ale, fine wine, Lavazza espresso, full english breakfast and Might Leaf afternoon tea. We offer a "Bubbly Reception" (complimentary Prosecco, Cava or Champagne upon arrival), as well as Italian chocolates. We also provide a complimentary grazing table throughout the day, warm scones at 2pm, canapé with drinks between 6pm and 8pm, and complimentary antipasto and petit four to enjoy with a night cap from 8.30pm to 10pm. If you visit Oxford again, please contact me directly, at: manager@ethoshotels.co.uk, so I can arrange a complementary upgrade to one of our comfortable and spacious Suites.

Reviewed November 24, 2010

We stayed here as a base for a night out in Oxford with friends in the middle of November. Reception is beautifully decorated with books, magazines and games for guests. The reception did not connect to the room we had - our front door was on a side path.

The rooms are nicely furnished with a big squishy king size bed, huge wet room and a kitchenette. Quality of the fittings wasn’t great (light under the kitchen units was broken, kitchen units/fridge doors rubbed against each other) but the bed and bathroom linen was good. Not sure why the wet room has a shower curtain in it, especially one that doesn’t reach the floor so isn’t very effective. The extractor fan could be a bit more effective as the mirror steams up very quickly (and is not heated) and the windows in the bedroom also steam up. Lighting is not great (no lights in kitchen and inadequate light to do make up with in bathroom).

Walls are paper thin (we could hear the conversation in next room clearly) and the breakfast is woeful – I do not consider a packaged muffin, packaged fruit and packaged cereals to be a “continental breakfast”. Also no sign of any Earl Grey teabags even when asked (not very Oxford!).

Location is nice and quiet though it was strange to be on the ground floor. It’s a bit of a trek to the town centre but we knew this in advance and it was reflected in the price.

Not sure I’d stay here again – just not great value for money for what is a B&B with no breakfast. On check out we weren’t even asked if we’d had a nice stay – the receptionist/owner just handed us our bill and said goodbye – perhaps this is a reflection on the fact that they think they are overpriced too and do not want to invite complaints.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank miss-figgy
Reviewed October 30, 2010

This hotel is very conveniently located within a 10-minute walk to the centre of Oxford. It's in a residential area with fairly quiet streets but very limited parking (reception was able to advise us on some parking spaces nearby and we used these, but as they were in 24-hour parking zones, we needed to move them fairly regularly during our stay).

The room was very clean with a king-sized bed, kitchenette, new tv and lots of cable channels to choose from. The bathroom fittings seemed quite new, including a heated towel rack and deep bath/shower. Breakfast supplies (Cereals, yoghurt, muffins, juices) were replenished every day in the fridge.

The room was quite expensive, but the quality of the room and the convenient location made up for this.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple