“Lovely place”

Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Went to shanghai 30's the sunday before last with my OH using a voucher. We were seated straight away and the decor is superb, Friendly and attentive staff with a busy room, felt homely and personal instead of going to a restaurant. Personal touches = lovely. We ordered the special appetiser of mango duck and it was entirely worth the £8. Im not one to usually want to spend a lot of money on a meal, but im a sucker for duck and me and my OH were wrestling over the last piece. The salt and pepper squid and dip was also to die for. Like no other salt and pepper squid i have tried before. We also tried the street style dumplings - as have never tried pan fried before and they are definitely worth a try. We were very impressed by our starters and would go back based on them. For our mains we ordered the lychee pork and berry beef and we have decided it was a bad choice on our part. They were both superbly cooked but too sweet on their own - would have worked if we had eaten them together with the appetisers.

Food is presented beautifully and would definitely recommend to visitors of oxford and have already recommended to family and friends. They care what people who eat there feel and opinions which is also a nice change.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We thought we'd try this restaurant on the strength of other Tripadvisor.co.uk reviews and were pleasantly surprised. On arrival we went up the stairs (the ground floor looked a little tatty so we weren't sure what to expect in the restaurant). We were met by the pleasant staff and led to our table by the window in the main part of the restaurant. The atmosphere was a little surprising - quite a lot of homely items in a small room - but this gave it a lovely feel. There was a fair amount of space between tables and the chairs were comfortable. The choices on the menu were good - but you need to study this carefully as both the dishes we wanted were only available on lunchtime menu and not the dinner menu. A quick change and we ordered something else. The wine menu was great.

The food was delivered quickly and, as other reviewers have pointed out, we received huge portions. The food was really nice (a nice surprise) and didn't taste like it was swimming in additives. The only issue (from my girlfriend's point of view) was that she received a "stroppy" message in her fortune cookie! (It was funny though!).

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I've been to Shanghai 30 a few times and I must say that the service and the food is always excellent.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I visited the Shanghai 30 for lunch on a Saturday with 3 other people. We sampled quite a few dishes and all of them were very disappointing. The duck tasted dry, old and re-heated. The chicken was covered in a sauce that could have come straight out of the Tesco shelf. To top it off, the service was a bit slow and not particularly attentive. I would not go here again, especially with the likes of Sojo and My Sichuan so close by, which offer way tastier and more authentic chinese cuisine.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Great food! The beef is cooked very tender and the duck is just delicious!! Definitely not an average chinese restaurant. With a 30s style deco and music you will not be disappointed. The only down side is the service being a bit slow sometimes, but the staff is really friendly and nice. The price is average, actually really good for what you get!!
I spend 6 weeks in Oxford for work and I stay right across the street form this restaurant, I'm eating there or ordering take away nearly every other day ;)