“Quirky and good value. ”
Review of The Buttery Hotel

The Buttery Hotel
Ranked #26 of 82 Oxford B&B and Inns
“Quirky and good value. ”
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Quirky and good value. That says it all. Well, nearly!

The welcome us friendly and efficient. The rooms are clean and comfortable - good for the price.

It's central Oxford and during term time, it can be noisy at night with the volume of young people out and about in town.

Breakfast, though good, is at the cafe below the B&B/hotel and the service just isn't up to the same level. Starting supposedly at 7.30, the staff weren't ready for me, the lights weren't all on and it was cold. The waitress was very good and got some tea and organised some toast, but it wasn't a seamless service with the hotel.

That said, The Buttery offers excellent value and I'll definitely stay here again when working in Oxford.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Buttery for my wife's birthday and was pleasantry surprised with how central the location was. So easy to walk everywhere and sites nearby as were many bars and restaurants. The flip-side of a central location was the noise, although not directly near a late night venue, many patrons of nearby venues do walk by 'loudly'. It is not until 1pmish did it calm down. The stairs were a little creaky and our door (203) did rattle. To be fair we knew to expect some noise, given its location in a central lively location. Other reviewers have recommended the rear rooms for a quieter night.

The hotel is a listed building which did mean no vents for frying. Thus much of the full english I enjoyed is grilled (healthier, I suppose), the scrambled eggs was a satisfactory substitute for fried eggs.

The spacious room was clean, new carpets were welcome as I forgot my slippers, the bathroom clean but dated (better than new but unclean). There was a tv (a little small but watchable) and a kettle with tea and coffee on offer came in handy!

• Stayed January 2014
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed at The Buttery just before Christmas. I really liked the place. The guy on reception was really friendly and helpful, and our room was a good size and overlooked Broad Street. We had a lovely cooked breakfast in the morning too. The location is great; just a short walk to the centre, shops and bars. Parking round here is very expensive, so we parked in the park and ride and caught the bus in, which stopped really near the hotel so no hassle at all. Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is the second time we have been to the cafe for lunch - First time it was great, lovely food, good service and we really enjoyed it.

As we had enjoyed it last time we came again - really bad service, the glass I was given was dirty I asked for another one which was washed for me on the spot but he gave it to me wet. Food was good but there was long wait for some and the staff were rude and unhelpful.

Would not recommend it and would never go there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The key asset of this hotel is its location - in the pedestrian part of Broad Street, right in the centre of Oxford. The place is about 15 min walk from the railway station and 2-15 min walk to all major landmarks in town.
Although it has a 'hotel' word in the title, it is more of a guesthouse or B&B, as it doesn't offer a lot of extra services. There is no lobby and no public spaces whatsoever, just a little reception counter. The accomodation is located in a period building (or, rather, three connected buildings), so please note that there are no lifts, and the stairs are quite steep and narrow.
Guest rooms are very clean, simple but nicely decorated. Beds are comfortable, there are tea and coffee facilities, and a set of toiletries in the bathroom.
Breakfast is substantial, including the 'full English' version.

Room Tip: Twin room 305 is located in the upper floor and offers nice views to Broad Street, Balliol College a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I was put up here by my host for some training in Oxford, and asked for a quiet room. The staff are excellent, young and friendly.

The charge was apparently £276 per night. Per night?

I could hear the people above me on the toilet, as well as every step taken by my neighbour. Doors banging and feet on wooden stairs......

Have you noticed the owner responding to reviews here? Not a word. How this place got 4 stars is something of a mystery, and how anyone can charge that sort of money is beyond me. I am not a fussy guy and have stayed in places all over the world. This place ranks top of the list for those to steer clear of. The owner must be sitting in a quiet dark room somewhere counting out his money! Its like Fawlty Towers.

Oxford is a place for walking, so get yourself an hotel that offers better value for money and enjoy the walk. This place is simply trading on its position and ripping off the tourists.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Cape-Town-Steve
Sally M, Owner at The Buttery Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
It was with a wry smile I read this review. We are a family run business and very much hands on within the business. We are always available to talk to guests. The pricing information given was not understood I believe. In December the price for double room with breakfast was averaging at about £89 on a week day . Later in the season we charge £149 for a deluxe double room for two people with breakfast but usually have special offers on and have lower priced rooms available. We have standard rooms at lower prices and one single room which is always booked due to our competitive pricing policy. All floors within the hotel are sound proofed and stairs are carpeted so it was disappointing to read you had been disturbed by other guests. I always read trip advisor reviews, usually without replying as I respect the views of our guests and take on board any negative feedback. However I felt this deserved a reply as it was factually in accurate. We pride ourself on the cleanliness of our rooms, our friendliness and quality of guest stay. We also believe we offer competitive rates for this type of guest accommodation. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay at all but if you were under the misapprehension your company had paid £260 per night I can see where confusion may have arisen.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This was a return visit to The Buttery, and a bit of a contrast to the last occasion which was during the blazing hot summer. The room was on the Broad Street side overlooking Balliol and also the Christmas market. The bathroom was nice and warm, serviced by a very hot radiator. There are no surprises to the room which was clean, spacious, and fully functional. I chose a deluxe room for a bit of added space and luxury. I didn't feel at all disturbed by noise at night, although in the afternoon there was an accordian playing busker playing outside on the street which was amusing more that it was irritating.

I found the reception staff to be very friendly and helpful, just as they were last time I visited and made me feel genuinely welcome as a customer.

Breakfast is a bit hap hazard and don't expect anything too pampered on this aspect. I obviously arrived at a busy time and a table needed to be cleared to make room. The food was all good quality and the coffee pleasant, but there is nothing remarkable about the breakfeast experience. I would certainly consider returning here on subsequent Oxford visits should they happen.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo