“Great location”
Review of The Buttery Hotel

The Buttery Hotel
Ranked #24 of 85 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed here on New Years Eve with two friends and can't fault it at all. Great central location, less than a minutes walk to the theatre we were going to.

Nice big room with everything you need for one night. Only had two mugs when we arrived even though we had booked the room for 3 adults. Made a quick call to reception and an extra one was brought up within minutes.

Room rate included a very nice breakfast.

Staff were very welcoming and friendly.

Very close to bus stops if you park at the park and ride car parks too.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 5, 2013

My daughter and I were booked into a chain on the outskirts of Oxford but after realising that public transport was impossible, the Oxford Tourist Centre suggested this guest-house/hotel. We collected our suitcases from the first hotel and moved straight in! The warmth of our welcome was wonderful. The location is fantastic - in the middle of Oxford. My daughter (16) was happy to walk to and from the course she attended in Town as she felt so safe. The bonus was that they ask you to leave your room key on reception when you go out so my daughter knew she could come and go as she pleased and I could go museum-wandering. The room we had overlooked Broad Street. It was a bit noisy - we had carol singers one evening and a band another evening but I like being in the middle of towns. If you want a quiet room, it might be better to see if one is available at the back. We had a deluxe twin room which was lovely and big with a sofa (sofa bed) ar one end. There was plenty of space. The bathroom was large and a little tired and I would have liked another shelf or 2 for toiletries etc. A fridge would have been nice although the tea kettle etc were fine. Breakfast is in the cafe downstairs and although a limited menu, there was plenty of food (but no honey for the toast!!). The staff were wonderfully friendly and I would very happily stay here again. Recommended!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked Broad Street with a street lamp outside (the curtains are thick so this isn'...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank rgkjersey
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This hotel is right in the centre of Oxford, a short walk from the Oxford Railway Station. The service was excellent, and the 69 pound/night tariff included a full English breakfast. Great value for money.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ROSELLA_11
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed here for 4 days. It was a good stay. Great location. Its right in the center.
Difficult to get up the stairs if you have heavy luggage. Room was quite basic for a four star charging £125/night.
Rooms do need a fridge.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Sid786_12
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We booked a place at this hotel at the last minute - we had planned to stay at a guest house out on Iffley Road (ie much less centrally located) but reviews said it was dirty so we booked here. At just £4 more for a much more central location we weren't expecting much!

How wrong we were! A lovely spacious room with views of broad street and the Christmas tree, all very clean and well- presented. Staff were friendly and helpful, happy to give us a late checkout.

Breakfast was included and is served in the buttery cafe downstairs. We arrived just in time but they still happily gave us cooked breakfasts.

We weren't staying to look around Oxford but if you are this is ideally located, near shops, restaurants, museums and lots of pretty colleges.

At night access is by an intercom but we never had any problems with this.

NB there are lots of narrow staircases and I didn't notice a lift so perhaps if this might be an issue for you, contact the hotel.

One negative point is a little bit of noise (shouting) from outside at night but considering it is a hotel in a busy town centre this is to be expected! Might be worse in term time though.

Would recommend to a friend or even to my parents which is saying a lot!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank NushyNush
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This hotel is located in the hear of Oxford, walking distance of everything. It looks like a small hotel, the front desk office is located on the second floor and there are no elevators so you need to carry all your luggage to the second floor. The room I stayed (double standard) was surprisingly larger than the average rooms in Europe, a good sized bathroom with the necessary amenities. Comfortable bed and tea/coffee available in the room. Internet (WiFi would not work well, but ethernet cable provided worked perfectly). The staff was great, I met three or four at the front desk and ALL of them were equally courteous, friendly and eager to help. At the end of my stay I had to be in London Heathrow very early (flight at 7am) so they helped me to look into train, bus schedules and taxi fares and they made all the calls for me. It was great! They offer complimentary breakfast which I thought was good -a la carte- with some other few options (yogurt, fruits, etc). It was a short stay but enjoyed it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank rovaMT
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The end of September I went to England. I spent two nights in Oxford, Salisbury, and Canterbury before going to London for a week. Of the four hotels in which I stayed, this was easily my favorite. I was told that the building was 17th century. The rooms were spotless. I had a modern third floor room (the English count the ground floor as zero) with a very up to date bathroom. Comfortable bed. Lush, thick towels. I was in the back of the building, looking out over rooftops.
The ground floor was a bakery/restaurant (The Buttery) where the abundant breakfast was served. Afternoons I sat at tables out on the street and had their fine pastries and tea.
There is no elevator, as was the case in all four hotels in which I stayed. The steps were narrow and steep. A front room on the first floor, only one flight up, had large windows looking out on the street which was closed to traffic.
What made The Buttery Hotel most desirable was its location. Everything I wanted to see was within a very easy walk. The Bodleian Library was just up the street. Directly across the street was Balliol College where Graham Greene, Gerard Manley Hopkins, Hilaire Belloc, and Ronald Knox studied. About ten minutes down the street was Christ Church College. A literary tour of several of the colleges started half a block away. The bus station was also an easy walk. I could go back to my room often during the day.
The staff were very friendly and helpful young people. If they offer to carry your luggage up to your room, say yes.

Room Tip: Choose a first floor room if you are not in good shape. It is only one flight up.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo