“Great food, lively place, recommended”
Review of Zizzi - Oxford

Zizzi - Oxford
Ranked #184 of 673 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: At Zizzi we like to do things a little differently. We don’t do over-complicated recipes or scrimpy portion sizes. We’re all about the well-chosen ingredients, simply put together to make exceptional Italian food.Located on busy George Street, Zizzi Oxford is close to the bus and railway stations in the centre of town and in the heart of the theatre and cinema district. The restaurant itself is heavily influenced by local legend C.S. Lewis, writer of one of the most popular books of all time, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Silver birch trees referencing the forest scenes from the book and lighting features alluding to the snow drops in Narnia welcome diners. So, whether it's for a business meeting, a family get-together, a party or a romantic meal, the team at Zizzi in Oxford looks forward to your visit. And if you’re celebrating something special, see if our private dining area is right for you.
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I called in without a reservation at about 8.45 on a busy Saturday evening; we were shown straight to a table, had our drinks order taken immediately and the food order shortly thereafter, food was served within a short time scale and it was excellent (I had a calzone, my wife had chicken prosciutto); the place was very busy but as you can see the service was efficient. Would happily go back if ever in Oxford.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

We went to Zizzi, Oxford for a late dinner after the cinema (9pm) so it was pretty empty. We were able to sit down half an hour earlier than I had booked and got our drinks quite quickly. We ordered bread for our starter, which came promptly, and the waitress went to get the vinegar. No-one reappeared with any olive oil so we asked for some. The man we had asked wondered off, came back shrugged his shoulders, pointed at the vinegar and walked away again. I wondered for a second if I was going mad-I was pretty sure that wasn't the olive oil! Then I noticed some on the other tables so got some myself. The food came about 5 minutes after the starter had arrived so we got it all in one go; not great but better than waiting for ages I suppose. I ordered a spaghetti dish but wasn't given a spoon to eat it with. I tried to get somebody's attention for a while but no-one was around so I found a cutlery draw on a nearby table (the one with all their colouring books for kids etc) and got one myself. A waitress did then come past and I asked for parmesan. She came back and grated half of it over me and promptly left again! Each time we were served or asked for anything it was a different person and all, bar one, were rude. The food was alright but nothing special and not worth the money. The service was so bad I actually wondered if it was supposed to be part of the 'charm'! Will not be going back again.

4  Thank AdeleSK
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Best pizza ever - Rustica Pescatore. With a lovely range of vegetarian dishes, too. Unintrusive well-designed interior. Helpful staff fullfilling special wishes.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

We have visited Zizzii's in a number of cities. This particular one was not the best. Staff were ok but last enthusiasm, poorly dressed and unfriendly. The food was not up to their usual great standards and the whole experience was disappointing. It was almost the new Pizza Hut with baby's and kids crying. Not such a pleasant adult evening.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

This roomy Oxford based building and its general decore were fine. So was the Polish speaking waitress. However, I had a chicken dish with meat of a very dubious taste - too chewy for chicken to be honest and not very pleasant overall. To be fair my wife's veggie dish was OK. We should have noticed that the place was empty even for the post lunchtime session - a warning? Why did the waitress go home midway between our courses? Our 'standard' Italian cuisine is Prezzo's and sorry this didn't challenge that standard.