“Fantastic sunday lunch!”

Brasserie and Bar at Malmaison - Oxford
Ranked #210 of 625 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Bar, British, European
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Malmaison Brasserie in Oxford ��� once people were plotting to get out. Now they���re paying to get in. Set in a one-time prison where bad guys were detained at Her Maj���s pleasure, Malmaison Brasserie (part of the supersexy, supercool Malmaison hotel group) is now dedicated to your pleasure instead. The Brasserie has its own unique atmosphere that���s a bit gothic and funky, very much stylish and modern. The menu boasts simple favourites prepared with consummate skill, like signature dishes.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic sunday lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went to the Mal for Sunday lunch as I had 2 for 1 vouchers (it's usually 19.95 per person) and I was expecting it to be "minimal" as many offers are but we ate so much and it was all excellent! I would have been happy to have paid full price because it was definitely worth the value. We started off with a decent size bowl of soup, then a cold meat and fish buffet with salad and vegetables, I then had half a normandy chicken and my boyfriend had a prime rib of beef with vegetables and potatoes (both dishes were huge), and then we had desserts on top. Drinks weren't included but I didn't mind because I think the cost was probably at least half of what each dish actually cost. Definitely worth going and there was no problem with service either.

• Visited February 2013

• Slovak first
London, England
“Average food for above average price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We ate here for one evening as staying at the hotel. We wouldn't usually eat in a hotel restaurant as they hardly ever produce the best quality and value and I have to say this turned out to be true on this occassion. I don't know if I didn't choose well,(my husband seemed to enjoy his more than me) but i didn't enjoy my either my starter or main - £15 for a fishcake with a bit of sauce and a few spinach leaves - seemed to represent poor value - it was uninspiring - perhaps a poached egg or some more veg would have improved it. No bread was offered and no chocolate/biscotti with the coffee - small touches perhaps but made me feel they just wanted to increase their profit margins.
I found the service to be acceptable and the ambience was fine - but it is quite dark so bit tricky to read the menu!

Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Good food, less good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I've eaten here several times, and similar themes emerge. Over a period of 4-5 years, I've eaten here a few times, and the food is consistently very good to excellent; I remember once having a scotch egg starter which was one of the best plates of food I've ever had, and tonight a starter of squid and chorizo was similarly very good. A main course of swordfish was excellent - a huge piece of fish, but tasty and well-cooked.

However, in the same way that the food is consistently good, the service is consistently less good; the staff are slow, poorly trained and lacking in knowledge about what's on the menu (tonight I asked the waitress whether I would need a side order with my fish; she said she didn't know and would have to ask her boss). I ordered olives to start that never arrived, and an order of a second glass of wine was incredibly slow in arriving. As ever in Malmaison restaurants, the lighting was next to non-existent; I'm sure it's not just me, a middle-aged old fogey...a much younger couple near me were using a mobile phone to illuminate the menu so that they could read it!

So, if you want great food, this is an excellent choice of restaurant. However, if you want the full experience, with outstanding, knowledgeable service, I can't recommend it - the staff just are not up to it, even though they are all polite and hard-working.

• Visited January 2013
Highworth, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

was over priced, quiet and dark. That said they have tried over the last year to come into line. But still do not rush to go.

Visited February 2012
Oxfordshire
“Excellant food, poor service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

We went to the mal at oxford for Sunday lunch, had a lovely meal, smoked salmon to start and then roast beef, it was only £13.95 for the two courses and they were top quality. I don’t know whether the staff working were having an off day but the restaurant wasn’t busy just us (table of 9 n another table of 4) and there were 6 bar staff the, service was sooo slow took forever to get a drink and they never came 2 check we were ok and one of the main course was forgotten, there wasn’t much apology for this either. I think I would give the restaurant another go as they were probably just having a bad day

• Visited December 2012