“Malmaison Restaurant, Oxford, UK”

Brasserie and Bar at Malmaison - Oxford
Ranked #232 of 634 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Malmaison Brasserie in Oxford ��� once people were plotting to get out. Now they���re paying to get in. Set in a one-time prison where bad guys were detained at Her Maj���s pleasure, Malmaison Brasserie (part of the supersexy, supercool Malmaison hotel group) is now dedicated to your pleasure instead. The Brasserie has its own unique atmosphere that���s a bit gothic and funky, very much stylish and modern. The menu boasts simple favourites prepared with consummate skill, like signature dishes.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Malmaison Restaurant, Oxford, UK”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

we were large party, all had complaints especially where side-sauces were concerned! Bernaise and garlic sauces were tasteless, pepper sauce was pure pepper, no creamy good looks. Pricey for not very good food. A medium ordered steak had to be returned for extra grilling! We commented on the possibility that regular chef may have been away and they had a stand in chef??!! For a Saturday night, they weren't even busy! The private room though was really nice. Service started off v.well, then deteriorated to almost non-existent! What a pity. Poor food taste and presentation spoiled our celebratory evening and we wont be visiting again. Pity too that we had hoped to impress our Swiss guests.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Janet B

• Slovak first
Somerset
“Great hotel- restaurant a let down!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Malmaison Oxford for his birthday between 29th and 31st October. On arrival at the hotel, we were very pleased with the welcome and the upgrade to a superior room we received.
As it was a special occasion I booked for us to eat in the restaurant and we had both really looked forward to dining there, especially after hearing many good reviews about the restaurant! When we arrived we were shown to our table and just given the menus- we were not told about any specials (which we noticed the specials board after ordering our food). It was not made known to us who was our waiter/waitress was. We were waiting a long time before a drinks order was taken at which point my boyfriend had to ask which beers were on offer, to which we were told lots and eventually got more of a specific answer! Eventually the food arrived- although I'm aware there were other guests that had waited even longer for their food. When it arrived we had it served on the table and no 'enjoy your meal' or 'can I get you any sauces to go with that'. When my boyfriend enquired about his missing sauce he'd ordered, he was given the reason that the kitchen was busy and the waiter showed no enthusiasm to actually go and check where it was. To top it off, the chips were overcooked and hard to eat.

We decided to skip pudding as we had seen enough. The rest of the hotel was very enjoyable but we felt the brasserie was a disappointment and the service definitely didn't match the other parts of the hotel, especially for the price of the experience. We would go back and stay in the hotel but not dine in the restaurant again!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank woods89
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Restaurant experience is a disgrace”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My wife booked dinner for 5 on Saturday 27th October for my 60th birthday weekend celebration. We don't live in Oxford and were all staying at the Old Bank Hotel (excellent) but it was booked as a surprise due to the advertised 'experience' of it being an ex-prison.
Our table was booked for 8.45pm. We arrived at 8.05pm and went down to the restaurant, introduced ourselves and, as we were early, said we would have a drink at the bar. The lady on restaurant reception suggested we use the upstairs visitors bar on the 3rd floor. We did so and sat down. After 5 minutes or so of waiting to be acknowledged, let alone served, a lady came over and said we were sat in seats reserved for a wedding party and could we move across the room. I pointed out there were no reservation signs posted but we moved anyway. She returned to the bar without even asking if we would like drinks or anything else!
We waited another few minutes until a waiter came over and asked for our order. We thought it was simple enough - 1 G&T, a gin martini, a vodka martini and 2 house cocktails. Big mistake! It took the staff another 25 minutes before the drinks were brought to us. I would have 'upped' and left there and then but stayed as my wife had chosen the venue.
It was now 8.55pm, still no-one in the 'reserved seats', and we headed back down to the restaurant to find the table still wasn't available. It was suggested we had a drink at the restaurant bar whilst we waited! Given the experience upstairs we thought not but one daughter asked for a cocktail - a 'red robin'. I asked the barman for it - he said 'what? I repeated it and he said 'what' again. The gentleman in front of me told him what I wanted and the bar man told me they didn't do one! I pointed out it was on his cocktail list and walked away. A few minutes later he came rushing up to apologise and said he now realised they did in fact offer that cocktail!
We sat at our table at 9.25pm. To make up sufficient space they added a table to one for 4. It was 2 inches higher than the others and rocked like the Costa Concordia must have done. Eventually, the sommelier levelled it. We had the 1st course delivered around 10.05. The waiter slapped my platter onto the table top and split the sauce onto the table top- he didn't offer to wipe it up much to my daughter's amazement. The starters were ok. I, and my wife, had the fillet steak - more due to an absence of anything remotely attractive on the mains menu.
The 2 bottles of wine were a ridiculous price - almost £100 for a Pinot noir and a Chambertin.
My wife asked for the bill around 11.30pm! Who wants to eat so late at night?
The restaurant manageress then made the classic mistake of asking if 'everything was alright for us' knowing damn well how frustratingly poor the night had been. She was asked to pull up a chair and listen to the shambles we had experienced and that had thoroughly taken the edge off the celebration.
In return she knocked £29 off a bill for £378!!!
She compounded the horror story by commenting we 'should have gone to the Glasgow Malmaison as it was much better!' A little difficult as we had unfortunately found ourselves in Malmaison Oxford!
The amount didn't matter - the whole experience was a shambles of customer service from start to finish.
They should send their staff to the Vault Cafe under St Mary's Church to see what service with a smile is about and close the hotel whilst they sort it out!

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Bill D
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“OK”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Nothing really memorable about this place. The food was ok. The beer was ok. The pricing seemed ok. That is a lot of "ok" - and not much else.
Could do more with the surroundings.

Visited October 2012
Westmount, Canada
“Great on All Accounts”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I have seen some discussion in other reviews about questionable service. We had great service last night (perhaps because it was not a full restaurant, and/or because management has seen previous reviews). The atmosphere in the old prison was very nice/romantic. The food was excellent. The Malbec wine was delicious. The total cost was reasonable (all in, about GBP100). Overall, a very nice experience without any disappointment.

Visited October 2012