“Fantastic brunch.”
Review of Hotel du Vin

Hotel du Vin
“Fantastic brunch.”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Booked if for the brunch menu last week and it was fabulous!

We decided to go for the Sunday brunch menu, for £19.95 this seemed like great value, and looking at their market table option, we couldn't resist,

So, of course we started with the 'Market table' option, this was a selection of meats and fish where you could choose whatever you liked, and could visit as much as you wish. This, for me was the easily the highlight, Oysters, Salmon, smoked salmon, prawn, mussels etc etc...

Main course was also fantastic, I opted for the steak whilst my wife chose the rib of beef. Both were cooked to perfection.

For dessert, there was a great selection, however we both couldn't resist the creme brûlée. It did not disappoint. It was also the biggest I'd ever seen!

I would also like to mention the service, without being too formal it was really professional yet comfortable. We had a young lady who (I think) was the manageress, she was really informative and made us feel more than welcome; a real asset to the business. The rest of the waiting staff were also superb, we couldn't fault them.

Overall we had a fantastic experience, so much so that I felt compelled to write this, my first ever trip advisor review.

• Stayed July 2013
HotelDuVinHenley, Deputy General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed brunch and very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Alex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Hotel has a fantastic location and tried to put on a good show for the Regatta but the staff seemed slightly overwhelmed by the numbers generated by the regatta. We had the same room as last year and they had listened to the complaints about the lack of black-out curtains so that they were new and lined, but still let the early morning sun in enough to be able to read by when closed. The aircon worked fine for us and was needed as the Regatta allowed gentlemen to take their jackets off on two successive days - something not done since the 1970s. Breakfast was high quality in terms of food but again understaffed and the breakfast in the room on the morning we left didn't arrive. The rates rise sharply during the Regatta week so you pay a lot for the location, and I probably expect better organisation. Keep trying - we still prefer you to the Red Lion.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms facing the river have a good view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelDuVinHenley, Deputy General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Sarah,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We were delighted to have you return to the hotel and look forward to seeing you again next year.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here on business in July 2013 and my stay was amazing!

Staff: Very friendly and always showing a willingness to help serve you and make your stay even better.

Facilities: The hotel is very chic. I understand it is a convertered brewery. There is a private courtyard which is very relaxing to sit in for a drink or meal. There is no pool and there isn't a gym in the hotel. There are fitness facilities nearby but these are not attached to the hotel and you would need to pay to access them. I didn't stay in any of the upper rooms but looking at the hotel, I'm not sure there are elevators to help you get to the first and second floors.

Location: The location is ideal for accessing the river (just a 1 minute walk to the river) and the hotel is within easy walking distance of shops and good restaurants.

Room: I stayed in the Planeta room which was accessible directly from the private courtyard. The room was extremely spacious and the bed was one of the most comfortable ones I've slept on in hotels. My only regret is forgetting to write down the details of the places they got their furniture and fixtures from which they gladly shared in oen of the booklets on the table in the room! :) There was also a detached bath tub on the floor in the room which added to the look and feel of the hotel.

Other: I could hear noises in the room above me as the person staying in the room above me work up at 5 pm every day and seemingly had very heavy feet so I could hear the footsteps on mornings. I am a very light sleeper so these things wake me up easily. You may not have the problem. I could also hear noises from guests in the courtyard, so might be worth asking for a more remote room.

Recommendation: For the price, I'm not sure it is worth it. I won't spend my personal money to stay here unless I had to. But is it a wonderful experience if you do get to it! :)

Room Tip: Ask for a remote room, i.e. away from the courtyard, so you won't be disturbed by guests in the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear James,
Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your comments. We were thrilled to learn that you enjoyed the hotel and the hospitality of the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel du VIn in the very near future.

Regards,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

initial impressions are good, but the place as my old man would say was "all fur coat and no knickers" its all well and good having staff with french accents and giant bottles of champagne adorning the place but when the air conditioning is this pitiful in the room combined with the worst pillows and headboard i've encountered in a hotel your nights sleep amounts to tossing and turning in discomfort. the air con unit must have been powered by a mouse in a wheel and our mouse had seen better days.

my partner and i stayed here it was a business/pleasure split and so we needed the bill splitting what the company was paying for was the room we were paying the food and drinks, simple enough yes? so why did it take 2 members of staff at reception over 20 minutes to do this!!!!! you left him late for the most important meeting of his career and it was not appreciated. maybe if the staff spoke English properly they would have better understood and not looked like 2 giggling school girls, incredibly unprofessional. while we waited an American gentleman couldn't even obtain directions to the toilet as the same incompetent reception girls couldn't understand what he meant by restroom.

staff training anyone?

for a boutique hotel i was surprised at the amount of magnolia paint, its EVERYWHERE, must have been a special offer on QVC.

Room Tip: choose a room in another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Garry T
Dear Guest,

I am truly sorry to hear of your disappointing recent visit to Hotel du Vin Henley. It seems we have certainly let you down on a number of fundamental points.
The small negatives in the bedroom which you have mentioned will be addressed. As a hotel, our first obligation is to deliver a comfortable night’s sleep. I completely understand that this is very difficult if the room is too hot – or indeed too cold. I am of the belief that one would have to go head-hunting at Cape Canaveral to find a boffin who can understand the workings of modern air conditioning systems! It is evident, however, that we must do more to share the knowledge of the intricate workings of this facility to our guests and I am sorry that we did not do so during your recent stay.

With any complaint as serious as your own, I would always prefer the opportunity to discuss all your points fully, and hopefully convey our apology for what was undoubtedly an underwhelming experience. With this in mind, I would greatly appreciate it if you could contact me at the hotel so I can perhaps look to address the issues that blighted your recent visit and should have been resolved before you left the building. Hopefully we could also go some way towards restoring your faith in Hotel du Vin.

I can be contacted through the main hotel number, and if preferable, would be delighted to call you at a time of convenience to yourself.

I hope to hear from you.

Warm regards,
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Spent four nights here during the Rowing World Cup at Eton Dorney and Henley Women's Regatta. An ideal location for such events, just a short walk over Henley Bridge to the regatta course and only 30 mins to Dorney Lake. Our room was spacious and well appointed just off the courtyard. If you are an early bedder such a room would not suit you as the conversations of guests in the courtyard can be easily heard, so ask for a more remote room. The staff were universally pleasant and efficient. Continental breakfast, included in our rate, was substantial despite there being no cold meats. Everything was freshly baked and kept replenished by the waiting staff. Our room was spotless and housekeeping was of the highest standard. Valet parking at £15/day is expensive and if you need your car regularly during the day could be an annoying inconvenience. However parking in Henley is difficult and we had to wait no more than 10 mins for our car to be brought round, so plan accordingly. The meal we had in the restaurant was excellent, piping hot and very well cooked, again served by attentive but not intrusive staff. Service was commendably quick too.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper then check that your room is away from the courtyard area. noise from her...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your comments. We were thrilled to learn that you enjoyed the hotel and the hospitality of the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel du Vin in the very near future.

Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel overnight, the check in staff were pleasant, the room was excellent, and the personal little extra's were a nice touch all unique to the chain. Henley itself is a lovely place and the hotel is situated in the town centre. We had a drink in the bar which had a lovely ambience, We ate in the hotel restaurant where the staff were yet again very pleasant, unfortunately one of the meals we ordered (pork belly) was not of a very good standard, when we were asked about the meal, the staff could not do enough for us to help compensate our disappointment. The only downside is although you are permitted to use the hotel premises to load and unload, there are no parking facilities, Would definitely stay again though

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelDuVinHenley, Deputy General Manager at Hotel du Vin, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Karen,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and very much look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Henley.

St Neots (UK)
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My first impressions of the Hotel were of a very chic and up-market establishment.
The rooms were large, tastefully decorated and clean.
The bar/restaurant staff were wonderful giving a first class service.
My problems only started once I had retired to bed... I was woken three times by thuds and bangs from downstairs, it sounded as if someone rolling a full aluminium beer keg on a tiled floor.
This went on for an hour so I decided to go down and complain.
The three members of staff who were on reception that night treated me as though I was telling a lie ?
I gave up on them and went outside for a cigarette, this is when I heard one of them say through an open window, "I wonder how many he has had to drink", I am strictly tea total and have been for 20 years.
After being insulted in this way there is no way I would ever step foot in there again.
Also the bed pillows smell.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank winfit
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henley-on-Thames
The Catherine Wheel
#1 of 1 in Stoke Row
Phyllis Court Club
Phyllis Court Club
#5 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to Hotel du Vin? Share your experiences!