All reviews dress code private members club the river older clientele passing boats old school charm panna cotta great views of the thames large comfortable room lovely position small fridge walk in wardrobe room overlooking the thames deluxe room easy parking recently stayed here decided to stay overnight
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Well it was "Bonfire Night" when we stayed, but what better start to the evening than a glass of champagne and a magnificent firework display. Everything was excellent, only minutes from the town centre but in a haven of tranquility on the river. Rooms superb and breakfast first class.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheOldHotelier
Reviewed August 27, 2011

This was our third visit to Phyllis Court. The advantages of this hotel are that it is in a beautiful location within walking distance of Henley town centre. Our room had a balcony and looked out onto the river. Our room, as always, was clean and comfortable and perfectly adequate for our short stay. Breakfasts were good with a satisfactory choice of food. We ate out at all other times as there are several good restaurants in Henley. We really like Phyllis Court but the one drawback for us is the rather stuffy atmosphere. My husband heard one member being extremely rude about the club letting non-members in. The information on the dress code was confusing. I thought jeans were acceptable wear during the day but felt uncomfortable when I arrived wearing them. We were paying a good price to stay in a hotel and although I appreciate the need to respect the members, I do think I should be allowed, within reason, to wear what I want. This is definitely one of my favourite hotels but there is a need to consider the paying guest.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chrissyr0
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Stayed at Phyllis Court on Saturday 20th August and absolutely loved it. From the moment we walked in we were made to feel welcome. Until very recently, this was a members only club but they are now accepting bookings from non-members. The rooms are all individually styled and, although not large, they are lovely and our one (number 11) had it's own balcony overlooking the river - waking up to the view was amazing.

Unfortunately we didn't get to spend very much time in the hotel as we were attending another event in Henley over the weekend but we did have a sandwich and a drink in the bar which were both very nice and reasonably priced. We also had the full english breakfast in The Orangery which is a fantastic setting overlooking the lawns and the river. We never normally go back to a hotel as we like to go to different places but have promised ourselves a return visit for a weekend and dinner in the restaurant.

Please be aware that the club does have a strict dress code if you are eating there and there is no mobile phone usage outside of the bedrooms - some might not agree with this but we didn't feel this way and were happy to adhere to the very high standards in return for a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MrsRBedfordshire
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Everything about Phyllis Court Club is perfection for me. The staff are all very friendly, attentive, polite and helpful: every one of them is an absolute gem. The bedrooms are all very comfortable, warm and well equipped. The food in the restaurant is superb. The bar even serves good local beer. There is a quiet reading room which is well stocked with daily newspapers. The grounds are splendid, and very large. In my experience, everywhere which says "open for members only" is also open for anyone staying the night.

Phyllis Court Club offers an exceptionally high standard of service, which is so rare nowadays, even in very expensive hotels. I can see though why some hotel guests are put off, feeling uncomfortable with what they might see as it being a rather old-fashioned style of place, rather stuck in a time warp. But give me the old-fashioned high standard of service, anyday!

I do write with plenty of experience of Phyllis Court Club, as I have stayed there on well over 100 occasions over the last ten years.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Lin15
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Phyllis Court Hotel has a timeless and courteous style, reminiscent of colonial ex-pat days. The customer service at the reception is most helpful, the bedrooms over-looking the river are very comfortable with super views over the finishing line of the Henley Regatta on the Thames.
The sweeping lawns down to the river are a delight to sit by during the early evening as cocktails and drinks are served outside of the Orangery Restaurant on the terrace.
All staff are couretous, well mannered, kind and approachable.
During my business trip of this week, I entertained both colleagues and my partner who joined me on the Friday evening. I took dinner in both the main restaurant where the service is just superb and in the grandstand overlooking the river which is a different experience again. The standard of wine as always is good, if slightly overpriced. The main restaurant is a very calm and pleasant dining experience with excellent service from the head waiter and team.
Thank you for another wonderful stay, always a delight to stay at Phyllis Court Hotel and see you next month.
Maureen Deary

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel overloking the river are undoubtably the best ones to book if possible with a balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business