“Solid, but could be great”

Chocolate Theatre Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Solid, but could be great”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I live round the corner but this was my first visit. Two of us had two hot chocolates, a full English breakfast and a bacon butty for £18, so just about ok value for Henley. Good points - they've clearly thought about the details of service - gave us a table for four rather than cram us in next to some cyclists, gave plenty of butter with the toast, good quality sausages and bacon and good poached eggs. And the staff were extremely pleasant. Nice atmosphere, relaxed, quite noisy in a good way.

Improvements - get some nice bread in rather than cheap thin-sliced stuff. You're a cafe charging decent prices in Henley and the bread was a let-down. And was that margarine in the bacon sandwich?? And do a few extras with the English breakfast - where are the hash browns and beans? An English breakfast is an indulgence and it was a little bit fine dining for my tastes. Choice on rest of menu felt a little thin - maybe just a few more mains option?

All in all, ok. Above "average" but not "very good". I wanted to have no option but to go back regularly but I think I might give Tubby's another try on the breakfast.

• Visited January 2013
Vivienne C, Owner at Chocolate Theatre Cafe, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Firstly, thank you very much for your feedback, we value customer opinion greatly especially with regard to our breakfast for which we are highly regarded.
I have taken on board your points and although beans and mushrooms are an option we don't promote it as yet. So as a result of your comments we are changing the menu to add these on.
With regard to the bread I have asked our supplier to supply a thicker toasting bread instead.
For the sandwiches we do use a vegetable based high quality spread however butter can be requested as an alternative.
As thanks for feedback I would like to offer you free drinks with your next breakfast at Chocolate Theatre Cafe.
Hope to see you again maybe to try our Eggs Funghi or Smoked Scrambled Eggs which is equally popular.
Best Wishes Vivienne

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“What a find!”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I enjoyed the most delicious ciabatta sandwich with pesto, halloumi and sun-dried tomatoes. Absolutely delicious and served by efficient and courteous staff. We will be returning.

• Visited December 2012
Oxfordshire
“We like this!”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We go most Saturday mornings, they are always friendly and welcoming. Great coffee and excellent range of hot chocolates.
Good cooked breakfasts too. They deserve to do well and seem to have built a loyal customer base. We'll be there again soon.

Visited December 2012
nottingham
“leisurley breakfasts”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel du Vin but had breakfasts here, a mere two minutes walk away. The staff were all very friendly and the food and atmosphere was excellent.

Visited December 2012
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“A little bit of heaven in Henley”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

A very welcome and adventurous change from the average coffee shop, fairly expensive but no more than you'd expect for an establishment with an uninterupted river view and quality menu.
I chose an ameretto white hot chocolote which had an exquisette flavour but was also incredibly sweet.
I asked the owner whether it was possible to modify the amount of sugar in it and she explained there wasn't any extra sugar in any of their hot chocolates apart from the one with nougat.
White chocolate is sweeter than milk or dark so if, like me, you don't have a particularly sweet tooth it may be an idea to get some advice from the staff first.

• Visited December 2012