“Wedding bliss at the Red Lion by Jake Roberts”
Review of The Red Lion Hotel

The Red Lion Hotel
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Strongly recommend staying at the Red Lion in Henley. Staff were extremely helpful in any requests I made. Sunday morning breakfast was terrific and at a very reasonable price. When checking in staff dealt with the process quickly and efficiently which was great as I had travelled all the way down from Inverness by car.

The view from my hotel room was magnificent. Waking up on a Sunday morning and seeing the picturesque beauty of the river Thames was delightful. The double room I booked was fully furnished and what was great was that wi-fi connectivity was available so I could catch up on my work emails.

The litte bar area with comfortable seating was a great way to unwind after a long journey. All food ordered was delivered and cooked properly which makes a change from other hotels that I have stayed in the past. All in all a great weekend at one of the grandest hotels I have ever stayed in. A thoroughly smooth couple of nights whilst attending one of my closest friends wedding. Definitely will come back in the summer for the Henley Royal Regatta.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JakesRoberts

Reviewed February 16, 2009

Stayed for Valentines weeked on the champagne package, the eveneing dinner was very good, the atmosphere was very romantic (yes, im cheesy), the service was fantastic we were made very welcome and seating in the restaurant was prompt. We had a new reburbed room, it was very cosy, and homely and finished to high standard and was actually quite spacious.

The location is good as it is close to shops, and next to the river, great for the odd walk. The village is superb, it is historic with all the modern features including top shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2009

Booked 'Champagne Weekend Special'....got NO champagne. NO hot water. NO breakfast as room full...nowhere to sit..asked to stand and wait in middle of room. Disco below room kept us awake until 0030 am.

Hotel promised to waive charges...however susequently charged my credit card for full amount.

Have tried to get apology and called several times. Management will not apologise or accept responsibility for ruining my experience. IN FACT MANAGEMENT DO NOT TAKE MY CALLS OR RETURN THEM.

I am an international traveller and this is BY FAR THE WORSE HOTEL EXPERIENCE I HAVE ENCOUNTERED. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

Stayed: January 2009
4  Thank PaulGWinchester
Reviewed December 9, 2008

The short version: This is a dreadful hotel with appalling customer service. AVOID.

We stayed at the Red Lion on our wedding night and wished we hadn't. Just about everything that could go wrong did.

Despite having booked a room six months earlier and called a week before to organise an early check in, I arrived at mid-day as arranged to find that our room wasn't ready. When I got in I found that it wasn't a king room as specified, but a twin double.

The Duty Manager refused to change the room saying that she knew nothing about it being our wedding night - this despite the fact that I had made specific arrangements months before and could quote her chapter and verse on who I spoke to, when we spoke and what was arranged.

However, she was able to complain long and hard how she was having 'a bad day' and couldn't wait until 3:30 so she could go home and have a double whisky to relax. She was quite the most unprofessional and useless front of house manager I've met in a long time.

Despite it being my wedding night she either wasn't able or couldn't be bothered to look after us. I had no option but to take the room as there was no time to change hotel - and apart from which, many of our friends were also staying there.

The room was on the second floor and so say that it was overdue a refurb would be a massive understatement.

The wallpaper was water-stained, the windows rattled in their frames (and kept us awake), the net curtains were filthy, the ceiling paper was beginning to hang down in places, the furnishings were shabby, the end of the duvet cover was frayed and needed replacing, the TV was ancient and had no remote, the bathroom extractor fan didn't work, the grouting was stained and falling out in places, there was no plug for the bath. And so on and so on. I don't mind characterful, creaky old rooms in nice old hotels (in fact we love them!) but this was just old, shabby, dirty and plain awful.

On any other day I woudl have walked out and gone somewhere else.

Visitors should be aware that some rooms on the first floor have been refurbished (such as the one that we were shown when we booked) BUT BEWARE - MANY IN THE HOTEL HAVE NOT AND ARE DREADFULLY SHABBY.

We were up early for breakfast the following morning (thanks to the banging windows) and whilst brekfast was OK, we couldn't wait to checkout and go home.

Far from being a wonderful romantic way to start our married life, I got a stressful, dreadful experience that I wouldn't want anyone else to suffer.

Did I complain on the day? Yes - but it made no difference.

Have a written since? Yes - and they've ignored my emails.

In summary: a dreadful hotel with unprofessional staff and appalling service. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GMK3000
Reviewed December 7, 2008

My partner and I booked a 2 night stay at this hotel in October this year. The booking was room only for nights of Friday 5th and Saturday 6th of December and booked and paid for through lastminute.com. We had called them at the time we made the booking to make sure they knew that we'd be arriving late on the Friday night. We pitched up at about 10:00PM last Friday night and enquired about parking by phone prior to arriving and they said to go to the parking entrance. We waited at the gate and then were told there was none and to park at the front of the hotel. We went inside to check in to be told that there was a problem with 10 of the rooms in the hotel because their roof had fallen in and that arrangements had been made for us to stay at a pub up the road, The Catherine Wheel, which we were assured had parking. It was also a cheaper hotel by £20 per night, so no upgrade for the inconvenience. We went along to The Catherine Wheel but by the time we got there we were unhappy with the way this was turning out and said as much to the chap from the Red Lion who had come with us and immediately requested our money back from him. He said that it hadn't been paid for yet and that money would normally be deducted when we departed. We corrected him and told him it had been booked and confirmed through lastminute and fully paid for 2 months previously. He offered a Bottle of Champagne as compensation, which made us laugh. We went back to the Red Lion and he gave us our money back. While there, others were checking in without hassle. There were 2 functions at the hotel that night and our guess is that it was very busy. To us it looked like we were bumped out, having had a confirmed booking, in favour of more profitable function guests . The last time this happenned to us was years ago in Cairo when we were told the place we wanted to go was flooded and the Taxi chap knew somewhere else that was cheaper and better. Of course it was a scam then and we knew but we didn't expect that here. We are disgusted by this type of carry on and especially by the attendant attempt at worming out of the responsibility attached to a confirmed booking by the chap from the Red Lion. It looks like our rooms were probably given to people attending the function for more money. All in all, an appaling experience in which we were treated very shabbily.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank patnliz
Reviewed October 28, 2008

We stayed at the Red Lion as we were attending a wedding and were really pleased with our room and the location right on the riverfront by Henley bridge.

We checked in to a room on the first floor and it was huge! The bed was much bigger than a king size and the room was full of character with old beams and sash windows. We would definitely recommend asking for this one! We did think that the bathroom however, was in need of updating however clean and tidy and in keeping with the age of the property.

It is right in the middle of Henley which is a beautiful historic town and after a full English breakfast, we went on a gorgeous river walk past boathouses to a weir (cross the road and turn right). Overall we had a lovely experience and would certainly go back.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2008

Would have to agree with other reviewers that this hotel is way over-priced. Our room was tiny with very little storage and a hanging cupboard in the corner which was very difficult to access due to the bedside cabinet. The area taken up by the bath in the room (!) would perhaps have been better used as a seating area or some drawer space provided. TV had very poor picture quality.
We too booked this hotel as we were attending a wedding in the area and were having difficulty getting in elsewhere for the two nights we needed and agree that this should have been a warning sign.
Breakfast was OK once we got the right order on the first morning and on the second it was not terribly warm.
I appreciate that there is a lot of history tied up in this building but feel that if they are charging 21st century prices they should be providing 21st century accommodation!
I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple