“Out its depth...”
Review of The Red Lion Hotel

The Red Lion Hotel
Reviewed May 26, 2014

The staff here have little clue - no training it would appear. I felt like I needed to help them dort the most basics out... from ho to make porridge to how to take an order (and I aint in the hotel industry)

Its clear no-one check the rooms regularly - my room had a mis functioning shower and an iron who's flex was worn through to the cables in 2 places. The Wifi is also very very 'flaky' to say the least.

Avoid this place if you possibly can. Only positive is the view from breakfast room (breakfast itself not great)

Room Tip: Not 103... no sunlight !
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank Craig H

Reviewed May 18, 2014

The hotel sending me an e-postcard asking me to recommend the hotel to friends clearly shows how out of touch this property is. I should have suspected the worst after 4 telephone calls over 4 days asking for them to send me an e-mail confirming my booking! I chose the hotel because it had a car park only to be dismayed to find as I checked in that I needed to pay and additional £10.00 up front for parking! I was shown to a room that was war-torn and as small as prison cell with two broked lights and bearly enough room to swing a cat. I asked to be moved and to be fair they moved me right away to a much better room with two windows over looking the River Thames. This room, No 111, had the potential to nice. New drapes and a comfy bed BUT the dressing table stool was soiled and clearly someone had tried to clean it with bleach so it was covered in stains.....the furniture was chipped and needed replacing and one of the lights had a stained shade. There were only two pilllows on the bed, one hard and one softer so I am not sure how I would have coped if I had been travelling with my husband instead of alone. There are clearly not enough staff and when I went downstairs to be bar to grab a light snack discovered most of them only spoke partial English. The bar was unattended when I walked in and it was about 5 minutes before anyone turned up. I had, by this time, cleared a table to sit down but when my drink was delivered the table was not cleaned and was wet on top. The bartender did not know how to make a Virgin Mary so I showed him by making it myself! I ordered a club shandwich which was a very strange conconction and included some kind of omelette of egg on one layer and some very suspicious looking chicken which looked as though it had come out of a packet of processed chicken pieces. This hotel really needs to get to grips with its food, ambiance and customer service. At breakfast the next morning I was told there were no choices at all - just the Full English or juice, toast and cereal as well as some rather sad look bowls of tinned fruit. It was a pretty sorry affair with shoe leather bacon and rubbery eggs and I simply cannot believe that a hotel in the centre of Henley-on-Thames cannot offer manage one offering on its breakfast menu. The location is fantastic which is why I chose it but certainly next time I shall stay somewhere else. My advice is give it a miss........

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank Fiona C
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

Not brilliant if I'm honest. A great location right in the middle if town but the room is effectively a converted garage and very cramped. We asked for directions to park but on arrival were charged an additional 10 pounds for the privilege which came as a surprise. It was difficult to get back in on our return ( nobody answered the doorbell) and the price is steep with no extras or breakfast included. Customer service was rubbish. Would not recommend.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Caroline M
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed recently just for one night. Staff were great. Stayed in room across court yard. It was modern and clean the shower was lovely. Only gripe no where proper to plug kettle in. A little bit pricey but an enjoyable stay

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 25, 2014

An excellent hotel - staff are great and nothing is too much trouble. Good food at reasonable prices. Room 100 is one of the best - although all the rooms pretty large and spacious. Overall, a great place to stay

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I stayed here for business the rooms are tired and dated with old and worn mattresses as well as a dirty toilet on check in, I would also recommend not taking a room on the front as they are not well sound proofed given the traffic outside. The service could also do with some improvement, not very customer focused and at times not enough staff as there was no one yo check me in when the receptionist was on the phone for 5 minutes. The one thing I would complement them on was the food for lunch during our meeting.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank dentonsdestinations
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stayed here with my wife as our first solo night away since the arrival of our now one year old. We had a hot air balloon ride arranged for the following morning, So this was to be the perfect weekend. OH what a mistake that was.

On arrival we were told they had a wedding on, (not told this when booked 2 months previously) We were then given a room across the car park, sorry, courtyard as they call it. It was full to the brim with cars, so we couldn’t even use the car park, we had to park in a public car park 10 minutes walk away, and pay £8 for the privilege, and the car has to be moved from the public car park before 9 the next morning or you get fined. (no problem for us as we had to get up at 5:30 for our hot air balloon) We could hardly get to our room as the cars in the car park, Sorry again, courtyard, where blocking our path to the room.

We fought our way through to be meet with the smallest of rooms that stank of air freshener. It's no exaggeration to say my single garage at home is bigger than the room, with a TV the size the average mobile phone mounted to the wall.

We asked to move rooms as we were worried about the cars moving around after the wedding and we had to be up at 5:30, to which we got a blank stare and “we're fully booked, sorry”.

The wedding was VERY loud and just across the car park from us, with double doors opened on to the car park. That went on till 12:00 and the guests where moving about till gone 1 in the morning, And with the walls being made of material thinner than paper, it goes without saying that we only got to sleep after 1 AM. So 4 hours sleep was all we got.

Also to add, Of the 6 celling spot lights in the room, only 3 worked, leaving the bathroom in particular, very dark. I also took my towel back to reception when we left as it had a hole in it and was filthy.
All this for £145 a night. I don’t care if I’m staying in Mayfair, Henley on Themes or the Bronx, the basics should always be met when I’m paying such a high price.

STAY HERE AT YOUR PERIL. It’s a shame I have to give this a star rating, as I feel 1 star is 15/16ths to much.

One good thing of note is it's walking distance to The little angel, restaurant. If only they did rooms there you wouldn’t have to return to the hovel that is the red lion.

Room Tip: Go else where, it's the only chance you'll have to get a room worth paying for.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple