we went to the Red Lion for the groupon afternoon tea, that must be so popular we had to book a date after the voucher expired, but the hotel were fine with this.
after reading so many negative reviews we set our expectations low. very low.
After a short wait in reception due to the restaurant being busy with Sunday lunches (another Groupon) we were shown through to a lovely lounge area overlooking the front of the hotel, and had our champagne, which actually was champagne rather than something a bit cheaper.
After lots of apologising that we would have to wait, it took no more than 10 minutes for the high tea tower to arrive...
fresh finger sandwiches, including a 'tomato tea sandwich', yes such a thing does exist. Just tomato. if you're demanding cheese too then pop to Pret instead.
all the sandwiches could be seasoned a bit more (basil with the tomatoes, salt on the cucumber etc), but then might not appeal to everyone.
onto the tea and cakes, two slices of each, a lemon and a fruit cake, and then the gorgeous scones.
we were very full by the end of it.
not sure what other reviewers were expecting, we found it a relaxing afternoon break from shopping in Henley.
£59.90? of course not, Claridge’s is £38 each, but how many groupon deals are worth the RRP. but for £12 each it was very very enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the River Thames and the tranquil green fields beyond, The Red Lion Hotel, Henley-on-Thames offers the most sought after location in the heart of one of Southern England's most beautiful and affluent market towns. It is also home to the most expensive home outside London.With four spacious banqueting and conference suites and thirty-nine individually designed bedrooms, each with its own unique history and character, The Red Lion offers over 600 years of experience in service to some of the country’s most prominent figures.Superbly located just two minutes from the market square, The Red Lion rests just five minutes from the Henley Railway Station and a short drive to the M4 and M40 motorways allowing for excellent access to London and the surrounding areasOur dining room offers an outstanding menu, using only the finest seasonal and local ingredients.Our unique wedding suites make this the ideal venue for weddings and civil ceremonies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your The Red Lion Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Red Lion Hotel Henley-On-Thames
- Red Lion Henley On Thames
- Henley-On-Thames Red Lion