“Pleasantly Surprised”
Review of The Row Barge Inn

The Row Barge Inn
Reviewed May 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed here while attending a wedding. Many of the other guests had booked into the likes of Hotel du Vin, however we were on a shoestring budget and had resigned ourselves to finding a simple spot just to crash for the night; we were not expecting luxury. When we arrived, the landlady was friendly and helpful. She remarked that the building was 600 years old. This was certainly reflected in the height of the ceilings, which were very low: I had to go up and down the stairs on all fours. I wondered to myself how they got the furniture in.

Our room was reasonably well appointed with a comfortable bed, wardrobe and sofa. The en-suite bathroom was behind a massive old chimney breast, which, although there was no door on it per se, provided cover from view. A number of disused and sealed old doors bore witness to alterations that must have occurred over the centuries.

We had arranged for a snack at lunchtime. It duly arrived on time and consisted of huge doorstop ham and mustard sandwiches, chips, and a bowl of salad as a sop to healthy eating. This was washed down with a pint of the local Brakspears' ale. This set us up nicely for the afternoon and evening to come.

Arriving back later the worse for wear, it was pleasing to find a lively atmosphere in the bar generated by a group of friendly and interesting people. After an unnecessary nightcap, I slept like a log. The next morning we were treated to a hangover-busting fry-up, washed down with about a gallon of tea poured from a union-jack teapot.

In summary, this whistle-stop visit could hardly be faulted. We enjoyed our brief stay and thought it very good value for money. We were glad we didn't go to Hotel du Vin. The only slight fly in the ointment, if you can call it that, was the lack of parking. You have to park at Waitrose a few hundred yards away, but by no means let this put you off. (You are allowed to pull up outside to load/unload).

Room Tip: Room 1 is allegedly haunted!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Stickers
There are newer reviews for The Row Barge Inn

Reviewed May 14, 2012

Absolutely perfect, a fantastic cross between a chic boutique hotel and a proper local pub. Great bedroom, and a lovely evening in the bar with the landlord and some friendly locals. Highly recommended, mind the beams, but enjoy the lovely atmosphere and food. Will definitely stay again and recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Dave H
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed here as we were attending a wedding locally. We stayed in Room 1 which was surprisingly spacious. The bed is HUGE and extremely comfortable. The bathroom is bright and airy and the shower lovely. There is no door between the bedroom and bathroom but is designed such that you cannot see into the bathroom from the bedroom - this didn't bother us but might bother others.
The breakfast was hot and plentiful and we received a very warm welcome. We will be staying here whenever we are in Henley - very good value. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room one doesn't have a door between the room and en-suite. But is a lovely room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ladydebob
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Stopped here twice, (room 2, twin) the rooms are well appointed, well heated as it was -4 outside. The breakfast was excellent, good quality fare. Very low head room for taller people around the building-be careful. Car parking is available free at another Brekspear pub in town, egress via Waitrose carpark, less than 5 min walk. A well priced B&B, good condition beer...its hard to find anything other than Brekspear ales in the area which is a shame for real ale lovers.

Room Tip: Book early as there is limited rooms
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Peter W
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I stayed one night. A Monday. The room was very pleasant and, as I was not staying for breakfast due to an early start, the landlord reduced the bill.

It was quiet and there was football on in the bar but it was a foreign Sky channel. A bit odd I thought.

The language from one of the locals was a bit strong but not the pub's fault!!

The bed was one of those Tempur types and I hate them. Like sleeping on the floor!! I like a firm, ordinary mattres, but these things I do not find comfy.

Monday is the only night they do not do food but that was not a problem.

Nice room. Nice welcome. Dodgy locals. "Funny" bed!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Goan_and_Indian_fan
Reviewed January 9, 2012

Perfectly located just off the main high street, so no evening traffic noise.
Staff are really friendly and helpful.
Good pub food in the evening and a great full English breakfast greeting you in the morning.
Lovely bending corridors to your room, although I would say a little difficult to climb the stairs if you have restricted mobility.
Would definitely recommend this wonderful cosy inn.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank ArkwrightonExmoor
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I am writing the review from the Row Barge as I am staying here for a few days while my husband works in the area. Our room is great (No1) and was very clean and has everything we need. Feels warm and homely and all the staff are friendly to us. In fact, nothing is too much trouble and a late check-out has been arranged for me and this means the world!
We have been allowed to park our car, in the car park of the pub's chain, by Waitrose just 5 minutes walk away. This has saved us a lot of hassle and money.
You will need to bring your own toiletries but small soap bars are provided. Towels and bedding are great. We slept well on the memory foam matress. There is a hairdryer and iron in the room and ironing board available. We have 2 bottles of water each day and there are tea and coffee facilities in the room. Breakfast is a full English and plenty to set you up for the day served with large glass of orange juice and fresh coffee or tea.
When staying in Henley again, I will choose this place above the Hotel Du Vin. I am very impressed!

Room Tip: There is a shower and bath in room 1 but just a bath in the room upstairs.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business