“A Wonderful Holiday”

Crown and Cushion Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was a lovely hotel, the room was very clean and comfortable. The town was small but charming and very pleasant to wander around, though it was snowing during my visit, I think it just added to the charm. What put this hotel over the top for me was the outstanding staff, especially in the hotel pub. As the weather was not the best, the hotel might have been a bit slower than normal. However it gave us a chance to get to know the staff in the pub, as we ended up there every evening. The food was excellent and a good price, again we couldn't have asked for a nicer staff to take care of us. I would highly recommend a visit. The only negative which actually ended up giving us a laugh every time...the hallway to our room was freezing!!! The room was fine....just that blast hallway!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Crown and Cushion Hotel

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hotel itself was lovely, polite staff (mostly) and a good breakfast. The one major disapointment was the freezing cold bedroom. We arrived to find the radiators had not been turned on for our arrival despite the heavy snow. The duvets were extrodinarily thin for this time of year (February), we asked for more blankets and the girl even gave us an extra heater. Clearly they had extra ones to hand because of all the complaints of their glacial rooms. We had infact read reviews and toom hot water bottles but to no avail, we were still shivering all night long.
Another worry was the smoke alarm had been covered up, later we found out it had not even been connected. When we queried this at reception the woman gave a throw away comment about 'the builders were drilling and must have forgotton to take it off' and so we were brushed aside.
Unfortunatly these two matters clouded our view of the hotel which is a great shame as it is set in the idylic Chipping Norton. For these reasons i would not recommend nor would ipI stay in the hotel again.

Room Tip: Take hot water bottles!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Carley-Marie S
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Room 21 was classed a superior, superior to what ?.It was badly decorated and tired.A32inch tv was plonked on the dressing table blocking the mirrors,no plug anwhere near the kettle and the courtyard lights beaming in the room all night long despite closing the badly hung curtain . The bathroom had mould on the walls and ceiling,loose tiolet seat and sink taps.The switches for the overhead vanity light ,main room light and extractor fan housing were filthy.Visualy the whole room and bathroom was visually disappointing .
The restaurant and bar however were very good, all the staff were ,friendly ,helpful and polite. I could only recommend this hotel for food and drink ,i do not recommend staying overnight.

Room Tip: Check you room 1st if you have to stay here
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Having made a very late booking at a great price, we were very happy with our lovely Four poster room. Yes the corridor was cold but room was warm enough. The lunch we had in the bar was excellent, as was the drink & staff. The breakfast was the finest cooked to order breakfast I have had in any hotel in recent times. Again staff were delightful & very helpful. I have to admit having seen some of the reviews I wondered whether we might regret our last minute decision, but the opposite was definitely true. Will be staying again.
Just one point that is worth mentioning.The hotel is on the High Street close to the Town clock which chimed throughout the night - not so good if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The room was very very cold,I think the heater seem liked didn't work. The blanket was very thin and couldn't stay in the room. The room looks very old but many reviews said it's classic but me.
No wifi available as advertised.
Hot water was too hot and swap to cold was too cold. The corridor was very cold even inside the hotel. The receptionist was unfriendly and seem doesn't has a negotiation and she didn't care about the customer's problem. I won't come back again.
Worst experienced from crown&cushion

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank myexper
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Words cannot adequately describe this appalling hotel. The temperature outside was minus, inside was virtually the same, corridors were freezing, the room was only heated a mere few hours a day.

Bathroom was a disgrace, the extractor fan did not work and was filthy, no drain in the floor so the stone tiles were flooded, no shower curtain. The door was stained with dirty fingermarks and splashes.

Th character of the hotel has completely been destroyed! original beams boxed in and white electrical wires adorned the stained cheap wood that covered the beams.

Staff were young and inexperienced. Reception was unmanned virtually the whole of our 2 day stay.

Wi-Fi was only available in the reception area so made it impossible to use the internet or watch a movie on a laptop in the room.

Bed was falling to bits, bedroom window would not even close never mind lock it for security. Furniture old and dated.

Huge dining room with only 1 Calor gas heater and we had to wear coats to eat in there.

All in all, disgusted and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jan L
Reviewed January 19, 2013

When I booked, it was for a 'single room with lots of space'. What I got was a double with very little space! My window basically faced a brick wall so I kept the curtains closed. The furniture was tired and old and the bed had cardboard on the back of the headboard to stop it banging against the wall!!!! It wasn't central to the light switches so I nearly dislocated my shoulder trying to get to the switch. The bath had to be the smallest I have ever seen in my life. Breakfast was not great, I think food was mass cooked then heated up, not made fresh to order. I asked for toast, and the waiter brought toast to every table but mine so I just upped and left. I would never stay at this hotel again, even if someone paid me.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
#2 of 2 in Shipston on Stour
Sheep on Sheep Street
Sheep on Sheep Street
#3 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Crown and Cushion Hotel? Share your experiences!