“Was this the hotel I read about? It was so good”

Heythrop Park Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Was this the hotel I read about? It was so good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

I stayed at the Heythrop Park hotel for 4 days last week including my wedding anniversary. I phoned up beforehand and arranged for a room in the main house I was allocated the Hydranga room which was really beautiful with a fabulous view over the garden. The bathroom was enormous with 2 sinks, a bath and a seperate shower cubicle. There was always plenty of hot water and soft towels. The bed was very comfortable and the room very spacious and quiet with a high ceiling.
The food was very good (although the same menu for 3 nights was not the best) and for our wedding anniversary which was on the third night we asked for an alternative menu. A special menu was written out for us and the chef cooked us a delicious meal. The quantities were enormous and I could not finish my trio of puddings.
The view from the main dining room over the garden was lovely. When we came down to breakfast on our last morning we were asked by the waitress if we would like freshly cooked eggs as the buffet had been out for a long time.
We had no real complaints and after reading the reviews wondered if we were talking about the same hotel. We had dinner for a couple of nights in the Enstone suite because of weddings in the main dining room. This suite was as nice as the main dining room but we still enjoyed the lovely food served there.
The Wedgewood room was a delightful place to sit after the evening meal in elegant surroundings
The service we had was always good. The polish waitress and her supervisor were friendly, kind and always pleasant. We had a lovely stay in a special setting at a very fair cost.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Cupar
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

I have recently returned from a 4 night DB&B coach trip based at this Hotel. This is the first time the Hotel has catered for a coach trip, albeit a small coach party.

We all had single occupancy in the Archer Wing rooms but must admit a couple may find these rooms a bit basic. My room was clean, the shower room was clean and my only gripe was there were no drawers which meant anything I couldn't hang up in the small hanging space had to be left in the case on the floor - this would certainly have caused problems with two people in the room.

Our evening meal was a different menu from the other guests, we had a choice of 3 starters(served), three main courses and desserts (served at a buffet) and a selection of cheese, biscuits and fresh fruit. Now, if anyone should have a complaint, it should be me as I am a Coeliac (gluten free diet essential). I didn't have any major problem until our last night, I managed to have a starter but the main courses choices were totally unsuitable. When the waitress came to take our order I said I was unable to have any of the courses but offered to take a cold selection from the starter buffet, she checked with chef and he offered to cook a piece of fish - this I had with what seemed to be carmelised veg. I couldn't have the dessert on offer so had some cheese (obviously without biscuits). I was told chef said if was very difficult to cater for one person with a special diet - the travel company had 'phoned the hotel 2 weeks prior to arrival and I also 'phoned the week before and was assured there would be no problem (this will sound all too familiar to other Coeliacs I'm afraid). However, overall the food I did have I enjoyed and I would say most of our party felt the same.

Yes, the staff are mainly from Eastern bloc countries (as in many other businesses in this country now) and we found them to be very pleasant and helpful. Because of the location of this hotel they may find it difficult to recuite staff.

There is quite a bit of work going on around the Hotel but as we were away during the day this didn't cause any inconvenience.

There is a new Leisure Centre and extension to theGolf Course being undertaken at the moment although this seems to be separate from the Hotel. The grounds are well kept and cover quite an area (we saw two deer one night we had a walk).

The main part of the Hotel is really lovely especially the Wedgewood Room but I didn't have the opportunity of viewing the bedrooms in this part.

The rates for a 2 night package of DB&B in the Archer Wing is £99 per night which I don't consider excessive at approx. £50 pppn DB&B.

It does seem to be a popular place for weddings, 3 were to take place over the weekend after we left on Friday morning and the previous weekend a wedding for 300/400 guests had taken place. Perhaps it would be wiser not to stay when a wedding is booked but that can be said for many other hotels.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay

• Stayed August 2009
cardiff
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

this place looks better than what it is the wings of the hotel were converted it used to be a college for the jessuits it reminded me of a mental institute we stayed the 8 aug 09 the carpet in the hallway of wing stunk of urine they must have a burst sewer i reported to reception to inform them they sent the duty manager with us to see she looked and said it always smells like this and run off i could not believe it the place isa joke it is not finished as they are advertising the guy that owns it is kassam who has just bought oxford football clubi think its disgusting to con people who are willing to pay good money for somwhere nice to stay and find that the staff and the place are awful

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cardiffcalling

Travelers are raving about these Chipping Norton hotels

Uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

What a total disappointment! The only plus of the place was the pretty drive up to the hotel. After we checked in and got to the room my face fell. Imagine a travel lodge that would be nicer. The rooms are described as contempary well compared to a cardboard box yes they are. Cheap furniture, cheap carpet, cheap everything. The bed was so small I would hate to be an above average sized couple because there was no way you would fit in. The room was drab and washed out. My husband and I even found ourselves with the oldest TV in the history of the world.
When we looked around the room (prison cell) we decided to leave the room and went in search of others within the region by mobile but they all appeared to be booked as it was a busy August weekend. We were stuck.
We accepted our fate and decided to make the best of what was a bad and smelly situation. Being the foolish couple we are we decided to give the restaurant a go as the menu looked lovely and to be honest we both fancied a few drinks. Once again how wrong we were. We booked our table as advised and attempted to settle into the room. All we could hear was the wedding party nearby screaming and shouting the hotel in its wisdom seemed to think it was appropriate to put us next door to a room of teens.
At last it was time for dinner – off we trotted to the Dining room only to be thrown out and told to go elsewhere as it was for the wedding party only. So off we went in search of this room when we found it it was where you have breakfast. Still wedding party need to eat so ok although it would have been nice to have been forewarned as different dinner arrangements probably would have been made. We sat down and ordered dinner which sounded lovely. I went for a smoked chicken and avocado salad – what I got was three lettuce leaves half an uncut avocado and some nice smoked chicken. My husband went for potted shrimp and although he isn’t convinced it was proper potted shrimp it was ok. Dinner was GROSS he had lamb I had duck both meats where tough and over salted. The only thing that got me through dinner was the bottle of wine that I was paying for the privledge of drinking.
At this point you may be thinking why oh why did you not complain and the reason is there was no one to complain to. If we had of spoken to the poor overstretched waitress well it would have taken what little service she was able to provide away from the other guests.
Once dinner was finished we did attempt to go to the bar only to find it was crowed and loud due to the wedding party, so we just decided to cut our losses and go to bed. Thankfully the bed was not made of nails and was pretty comfortable. We where however woken during the night due the the wedding being finished and other guests coming back to their rooms – paper thin walls and drunk people does not mix.
The next morning we awoke and got up with some form of hope for breakfast I mean who can go wrong with breakfast? Yup you guessed it this hotel went very wrong! When we arrived there was the one long suffering waitress on again. She looked harassed no wonder! There was no food unless you like mushrooms! Eventually after about 5 minutes out came some hash browns, again after another 5 some bacon and eventually some sausages and toast. However it was all covered in fat from where it had been sitting waiting on the one poor waitress to bring out and therefore was lovely and cold. We ate very little and then went off for the day. We had learnt and only came home when it was time for bed. On arriving back at the hotel we discovered the room had not been cleaned- not even new toilet roll was left. We got up the next morning packed our bags and left. We could not wait to get out of the place.
Now at this point you may be wondering why the title? That is because the wing we were staying in smelt of sick, the carpet was stained and it reminded me of what another writer called an asylum and I could not agree more.
So the plus of the place – a pretty drive and a bed to sleep on.
The negatives of the place – it smelt, no staff, was dirty, when you found staff they were rude, the food was gross (well known fast food places are better and more tasty), paper thin walls, no toilet roll if you stay more than one night. They also have the cheek to charge £5.95 an hour for WIFI.
So if you choose to stay here after reading my advice here is my suggestion, instead check yourself into your local metal hospital because you would get better everything! If you book here you really are mad and I only wish I had read trip advisor before I went and wasted my money on this delightful place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2009

We stayed here in late June for 1 night. Stayed in a main house bedroom, "The Hampton", we were blown away when we entered our room, it was amazing- huge room with tv, fire place, lounge room!, king size bed and 4 large windows with views over the gardens. The bathroom was also amazing. Included 2 large sinks, beautiful shower with towel warmers, large bath tub and yet another large window overlooking the beautiful gardens.
We paid 150 pound for the room, yet received 2 free fold out beds for our 21 and 19 yr old kids.
Breakfast was very much the same, a wide selection of cereals, fruits, yougurt and the alternative of a hot breakfast. We felt like royalty for a day!
The Reception area was amazing..would definitely recommend one of the main house bedrooms for a romantic weekend away or honeymoon.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
LondonerDave
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

After a long week at work I had no idea I was about to be punished at what looked like a stunning place to spend a much needed weekend away. The website says rooms are modern. Well then, 'modern' to Heythrop must been dirty, cramped and seriously in need of attention. My jaw hit the floor when I saw what I'd just spent £75 a night on. I had to ask the on-duty Manager if this was some kind of joke. Think of some cheap accommodation you stayed at when you were a poor student, and you might just get a bit of a mental image of what we were subjected to.
The room smelt incredibly stale, like the window hadn't been opened for a decade. We found balls and balls of dust and grime all over the room. We didn't dare look under the bed. The TV was ancient (think about your first ever TV set.) The bed squeaked when you looked at it. There was no room to swing a mouse, let alone a cat. The bathroom was tiny, and seriously dated.
An earlier reviewer mentioned that it reminded him of student accommodation. Well that was the overall impression from the 20 guests who were staying in the same wing.
To add insult to injury, the overall attitude from staff was appalling. Some serious customer communication skills need to be learned, and fast. For example, our room wasn't cleaned at all for our 2 night stay. We complained, and the receptionist explained that they were too busy as the hotel was full. So for anyone wanting to book this place (even after reading this review), ring ahead and ask how busy the hotel will be before you arrive. The cleanliness of your room may depend upon it.
The only saving grace was an on-duty manager called Peter, who did try to make our stay more bearable, but was up against it with the rest of the staff at the hotel, and the actual rooms themselves.
Book at you peril.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
york
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

Just got back from a two night stay here, on the drive up the long road its evident a lot is been demolished here,luckily we where staying the weekend so got no noise from the machinery but can only guess the noise on a week day from this,check in was easy thoug we was told no leisure facilities for the duration of our stay, the room was small and neat though the double bed was very small, we had opted to book for the meals on both nights, the first night went well food was of decent quality.
Next morning we went down for breakfast, no one there to greet we got a cereal from the table we then had someone appear and attend to us, there was no hot buffet this came plated to us which was fine but the bacon looked like it had been over cooked then reheated but we made the best of it, we was told evening meal would be served else where as there was a wedding function on, we arrived for the meal to be handed the same menu as the night before, that has been a first for me in any hotel for the same menu including the soup! after that we went to our room to have people shouting and running down the corridors and outside the main doors till 2.45am in the morning, i would be surprised if any other hotel ive stayed in would tolerate this ive never been disturbed by weddings at hotels in the past.
Next morning yet again no one to greet at the breakfast room find your own seats, but now a hot buffet breakfast was there none of the staff who came round to clear plates and pour teas appeared to speak any english or say please or thank you, good news we checked out and saw the menu for that evening low and behold the same again! overall nice place but let down by care of staff,that includes the receptionist who chatted on the phone the full time i was being checked out, no hello just handed a bill. good tip stay at eynsham hall similar type of place but the staff care!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,640 reviews
Falkland Arms
Falkland Arms
#1 of 7 in Chipping Norton

Been to Heythrop Park Resort? Share your experiences!