“Hotel in middle of refurbishment.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Heythrop Park Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Heythrop Park Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Copthorne, United Kingdom
“Hotel in middle of refurbishment.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel is set in beautiful grounds and the main house is gorgeous. We booked a two day b&b break with dinner on the first night. We were allocated rooms in Shrewsbury so were a little worried having read previous reviews. I can honestly say that our visit was not as bad as we were expecting. The hotel is being upgraded and there is a lot of work ongoing and still more to tackle. Our room (326) was very clean as was the bathroom. We had plenty of hot water, clean towels and bedding - I mention this because earlier visitors appeared not the have these basics. The dinner on the first night was from a set choice menu but it was quick, very tasty and plentiful. The lady who was running the restaurant that night was fantastic, really helpful, knowledgeable about the local area......a real asset to the hotel. I wish I had asked her name as I would have written to the hotel to tell them. Anyway, breakfast was a fairly hit and miss affair really. The staff were a bit slow but think that was because the kitchen were even slower at refilling the breakfast dishes. Having said that, the breakfast was delicious. Hot, tasty and freshly cooked with good choice. I really hope that the hotel doesn't suffer from to many bad reviews and vets the renovations done as soon as possible. This hotel could be fantastic.......

Room Tip: Main house rooms are far more expensive but may be worth it. If you only use it as a base, Shrewsbur...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LesandDeb
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay but will ensure your breakfast comments are fed back to the relevant department so that they can work to improve.
We hope you would consider us for any return visits to the area in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

If I had to summarise the experience I would say 'A truly beautiful setting let down by the service'.
We were there for a wedding - a very BIG wedding actually that lasted for 2 whole days and had somewhere in the region of 350 people, staying in the main for 2 nights and sometimes 3. A not insignificant sum of money will have been paid in hire charges to the venue by the family, without the additional contributions by the guests for their rooms. Think in terms of thousands of pounds, rather than hundreds....
From the check-in there was an apparent resistance to be helpful and we were sent off to our room (no lift) up 2 flights of stairs, me lugging a large suitcase (with 4 outfits for me and for each of my 2 children, plus daytime clothes), a medium one full of shoes and a vanity case, without any offer of help.
There were other mini staircases enroute and a closed off section that was clearly under renovation.
The room was clean but falling apart.
Big cracks had been filled but not painted and the bathroom walls had been painted over in places where it was clear the paintwork underneath was coming off. Several filled, but not painted, cracks were evident here too.
The bed linen was clean but worn almost bare in places.
The sash window was closed when we arrived and when I opened it I was worried it would literally fall out of what remained of its frame. The bottom 8' or so of which had simply rotted away. Maybe that was how all the ants managed to get in and crawl over our room during the afternoon celebrations...?
At a room rate of £75 per night, which was the reduced guest rate, I felt that it was poor value.
As for the staff:
The chambermaids were all very polite and did a great job of tidying and refreshing the room each day.
The Reception staff were polite but seemed not to be ready to provide the level of service I would have expected. An example: I asked 3 times for an iron so I could press my son's trousers the day before the first of the ceremonies. (No trouser press, air-con/fan, fridge or iron in the rooms). I gave up waiting for it at 10.30pm and went to bed.
The following morning I went down to Reception and asked again for an iron (we had approx 1 hour before we needed to be ready) and the chap there told me to wait a moment, went off and came back clutching iron and board and handed them to me. So... I lugged them both up the stairs etc myself.
The restaurant staff were very pleasant and some were very keen to help. Others were not so on the ball - eg the lady who put a pot of boiling water on a table full of children, mainly aged less than 10, and expected them to pour their own water on their own tea bags... Or the lad who laid us a 3rd place at a table for 2 but forgot to add a 3rd chair until prompted twice....
There are lots of little niggles I could add but I don't want it to sound all bad (the niggles are the things that stay with you of course) as the grounds were breathtaking and the event was wonderful.
I have spoken with several of the guests since then and they all have their own 'poor service' experiences, so it was not just me...
It is clear that the hotel is under renovation and I understand that to accommodate that many people they will have used lots of their rooms but there really did not seem to be that many staff with high enough standards of training in simple service to meet the needs we had. They weren't extravagant, just basic requests: an iron, some water etc.
I would love to visit the area again but would not go back to the hotel unless something radical had changed in the way it was managed. It really is a beautiful setting, let down by poor serviceI can't tell you the over all cost of our room and the 3 meals we charged to it because when I checked out the chap was not able to print my receipt as he was 'busy printing something else'. I have been waiting for it to be emailed over as promised but that was 2 days ago so I will have to call them.... again.
:-(

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sunnysouthcoaster
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies for the problems experienced during your time with us.
I will be makin personal contact shortly to discuss your complaint in more detail.
Once again, please accept my apologies.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I booked a one night stay at the Heythrop for a wedding anniversary break and managed to get a fantastic rate online, so after reading the reviews on here was not expecting much but have to say we were very pleasantly surprised! Upon arrival at the main building, which was really impressive, we were informed that our room was not in the main building itself but next door at the Crown Plaza. We then set off back down the stupidly long but very scenic drive and arrived at the Crown plaza reception expecting to be put in a basic room, however, we were put in a room that was simply fantastic! We had a moderately sized room on the top floor with all mod cons including powerful air con which was very much appreciated on such a warm day and fantastic views over the gardens. The hotel itself was immaculate, with numerous outdoor spaces to enjoy and just a short walk across the courtyard to the main building. We were attending a festival nearby so didn't have time to enjoy the spa facilities so I am afraid I cannot comment on that. However, as we had got the room at such a good rate we did treat ourselves to the continental breakfast in bed and it was lavish, lots of choice and really good quality!
The staff throughout our stay were all really pleasant and helpful and our only regret is that we didn't have the opportunity to spend more time at the hotel exploring. I would recommend this hotel to any looking for something a bit special in the heart of the Cotswalds and would definitely return!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you at the hotel again in the future.
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We booked a one night; dinner and breakfast stay with two rounds of golf over two the two days.

The course and grounds themselves are fantastic. Make sure you take a buggy (approx £30) as we walked the First day and discovered some fairly long walks between holes!

Food was of good quality and we took advantage of the swimming pool & and sauna on the morning before we tackled the course a second time. Don't be put off by the first 4 holes, they look to be new and an after-thought. As soon as you cross through the wall for the 5th you're onto a proper course. Great views too if just walking it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed the golf and leisure facilities and hope that you may consider us for any future stays in the area.
Thank you once again.
East Anglia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

A beautiful setting around a wonderful Grade 1 listed country house and really excellent golf course which is a good challenge for all levels.

However, the tired 60's building that Crowne Plaza have used for the 4 star hotel is pretty ordinary. Rooms need refurbishing eg showers have dodgy grouting and rooms are small and dark. Food is not a good level.

The De Vere hotel at the main house looks as though it WILL be the best option.. with fantastic traditional opulent reception rooms and beautiful views over an Italianate garden terrace... although needs a bit of TLC as the boilers were down and DeVere is going to need to spend some money on a refurbishment programme to bring the rooms in the wings up to mainhouse standard.

Room Tip: Trays and cases left in corridors and dirty shower rooms show the management is not on the ball..mak...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for recent review of your stay with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed the grounds and golf facilities but sorry you found the accommodation disappointing. As you noticed, we are in the middle of a full bedroom wing and public area refurbishment, the first phase of which is due for completion later this year.
Thank you once again for your review and hope that you may consider a return visit to the hotel once the refurbishment is complete.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We booked a 2 night dinner (1st night) bed and breakfast package from superbreak and then read the reviews so arrived with some trepidation. However we had a wonderful time. The setting is incredible and although the room was basic (Salisbury rooms) and dated it was spotless and perfectly adaquate. Reviews about the rooms being like student halls made me chuckle - I suppose they were not far off but these were certainly considerably better than my experience of Liverpool University Carnatic Halls in the mid 90s!
However, breakfast and evening meals are taken in the far superior Main house and Crown Plaza and the setting and decor of both are tasteful, elegant and beautiful. Choose a seat for breakfast overlooking the grounds. The inclusive dinner menu in the Brassey restaurant was great, food well presented and delicious -as an example I had the pork belly, peanut mash and pumpkin puree with lovely fresh salad.
We found the whole stay relaxing and felt pampered in the Crown Plaza and main house surroundings. My only complaint was there was clearly a problem with serving staff correctly recording extras but not recording that they were paid! On check out we were presented with a bill for items already paid - fortunately we had receipts to prove otherwise.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank liverpoolsnorkeler
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us.
We take all feedback very seriously and will certainly pass on the billing issues in the restaurant to the relevant departments so, where necessary, they can implement training.
Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Heythrop Hall has an amazing main building with the most beautiful rooms and lots of very basic rooms. I unknowlingly booked a very basic room but due to the excellent manager, managed to upgrade at a very reasonable cost and have a fantastic weekend. All the staff were lovely and so helpful. The hotel is undergoing major refurbishment to the basic rooms and hopefully the whole hotel will be as amazing as the traditional part. The grounds are beautiful, the spa is right next door - everything on the door step for a relaxing weekend. Highly recommend and would revisit as long as we could stay in the main house!

Room Tip: Ensure you don't book a basic room (shrewsbury wing) unless you really don't mind staying in...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you had such a fantastic stay and we look forward to seeing you at the hotel again very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Norton
The Oxford Belfry
The Oxford Belfry
#2 of 2 in Milton Common
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,620 reviews

Been to Heythrop Park Resort? Share your experiences!