“Peaceful place and excellent hotel”

Heythrop Park Resort
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Reviewed September 24, 2012

On the countryside of Oxford this impressive hotel with its gardens and surrounding is an excellent place to relax.
Rooms small (in the old building) and too hot. Bed was not great but service and kindness of the staff compensated a lot.
Good breakfast and dinners.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
GMHeythrop, Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your views on Heythrop Park Resort Trip Advisor web site. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and that the location was ideal for you. And I would like to apologize regarding your disappointment with the room you were allocated we have many rooms of various sizes standard and luxurious
The surrounding villages and the national trust properties within the Cotswolds are a delight to have on our door step. We look forward to seeing you again. Regards J Angus Resort Director

There are newer reviews for Heythrop Park Resort

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Like all the other reviews we had to move bedrooms three times, the first two no bigger than a shoe box. We eventually upgraded to a room in the main house and was disappointed to find there was no security lock on the door and the mirror on the dressing table was missing. Bad housekeeping. Had to ask three times for a mirror of any description to be installed. Breakfast was awful the poor staff were running around like headless chickens and food was running out. Had meal in the crowne plaza which was lovely, service was great, something heythorpe management could learn from. Such a shame as it is a beautiful house but needs some serious investment and customer service training which needs to come from the top down. Saving grace was we got the upgrade free of charge but sorry to say it did remind me of faulty towers

Room Tip: Upgrade to the main house rooms, travel lodge rooms are larger than the basic rooms
2  Thank oldwindsorgirl
GMHeythrop, Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

It is clear from your comments that your stay at the Heythrop Park Hotel was not perfect. We as a team are working hard on behalf of our customers through planning/updating and through rigorous training programs to ensure that all guests who stay with us, have a relaxing and enjoyable time. Your comments have been noted and will be addressed. Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and observations.
Regards Resort Director J Angus

Reviewed September 16, 2012

After booking this hotel , then reading review , I was very worried about going as this was for our wedding anniversary . On arrival the main house was breathtaking , I was so sure I was not going to stay at this place , we left our bags in the car, we were then checked in and went to our room.
When entering the room it was heartbreaking - room was very small and very dated , we went back to reception to check out, telling them that they should be ashamed of renting these rooms.
We were then asked if we would wait to see a manager-so we did . When the manager arrived named Andy he asked us to look at another room in the main house , I agreed to look without committing myself - we got to the room called The Fern Suite , entering the suite we were shown the lounge with tv , sofas , ect. Bathroom - with roll top bath and shower ect.Bedroom with four poster bed! Well this was the best suite in the main house .After a very upsetting start we had the most amazing time . The food and service in the Basserie was excellent and would highly recommend , also I would give top marks to the manager named Andy for making our stay wonderful. Thank you.

Room Tip: Upgrade to main house.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHeythrop, Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Many thanks’ for your honest assessment of your stay with us. I am so glad that Andy was helpful to you (i have passed this onto Andy). And that you had an amazing time for your wedding anniversary. Our aim is to ensure that all guests have a relaxing and an enjoyable time here at Heythrop Park. We look forward to seeing you in the future (maybe for your next anniversary-same room)? Or just some other time.
Regards J Angus Resort Director

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We arrived and checked into our room. The room was very small but decent enough, with coffee facilities and a reasonably comfortable bed. Trying to get a menu for dinner proved very difficult so we elsewhere on the first night. The second night we booked at table for dinner and it turned to be very good. As a vegetarian I thought the creamy vegetable soup was a lovely starter. For main I had the only vegetarian option, gnocchi with spinach and a blue cheese sauce. I am not a big blue cheese fan and as it was very very strong, I found the sauce too overpowering. This was shame especially as the gnocchi itself was delicious! My boyfriend enjoyed his seabass however he had too many beers so was rather merry! The service at dinner was very good! We liked our waiter Jake! All in all we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: September 2012

Our team work very hard to ensure that guest enjoy every aspect of their stay. And we like Jake too - a very popular chap. I am sorry about the gnocchi sauce that you found it to strong I will pass your comment onto the Chef, also that maybe 2 options of vegetarian meals on the menue, although if you had asked i am sure he might have been able to russle up somthing for you as your not a keen fan of Blue Cheese.
We hope to see you again.
J Angus Resort Director

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We booked this via Expedia.com a few weeks ago. I was well impressed on the price of £75 for the room although I hadn't realised at the time of booking that breakfast was not included, but that could have been my fault for not paying enough attention. We had been at the Jamie Oliver's Feastival that day and didn't arrive the hotel until about midnight and were well impressed with the grounds, location and the actual building giving a very grand entrance. I imagine it is a first class venue for weddings. Anyway, on the whole the place is lovely and I will book it again. The room was comfortable with a good bathroom and good shower system, always a plus point and a very comfortable bed. TV,hairdrier, tea, coffee and good biscuits (breakfast) provided.

After reading the other reviews now, I recognise Ben C as someone who was at the reception before us and it appeared that they had some problem with their room. Anyway we went to our room which was a bit of a trek but it is a big place and I didn't really mind. What I did mind was opening the door to be greeted by a 'Hello?'. There was someone in the bed! I apologised and came back out immediately. The walk back to reception felt longer now as it was unexpected. When we got there, Ben C was there again and when we mentioned to the receptionist that the room was already occupied, he said 'Oh no, not another one'. To be fair, he seemed really embarrassed about it. We were given another room and I checked that the my card would not be charged for anything the person in 214 used and went to our second room. On arrival we knocked first and entered when there was no answer. We also barricaded the door before going to bed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHeythrop, Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

I would like to apologize regarding your room experience. It really matters to us that our guests receive the very best service. We constantly review feedback and adjust our services. Reviews give us the opportunity to improve any imperfections and maintain high standards for our future guests. I am glad that you whish to return. Regards J Angus Resort Director

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Confusing grounds, as crown okaza us different to heythrop park hotel although located on the grounds. We originally booked a basic room in the archer wing of the house ....which is exactly what the title says....basic. Long story short is that after trying to get the shower to work on the evening of our 1 night stay at heythrop it would not work atall....stayed freezing! We reported it to reception who informed us maintenance would be along in a few minutes....we waited aprrox 15 & heard nothing...after popping back down to reception we were informed the boiler was down for the whole of the Archer wing and that we would be upgraded free of charge obv. Lovely young lady on reception upgraded us to the Eldon suite based in the main house itself......absolutely beautiful. Lovely breakfast in morning too. Gorgeous views, well worth paying that little bit more to be in the main house. Grand staircase is fab & made me want to get married there..one day ha!

Ten minute drive to vision motorsport for boyfriends driving experience. Village of Chilling Norton is beautiful.....indian restaurant called Cafe Le Raj is a must & good value for money. Overall a fab time at heythrop.

Hope this helps a little.

• Stayed: August 2012
GMHeythrop, Manager at Heythrop Park Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you for your feedback, please except my apologies re your Archer wing experience and the heating issues. As you said the Eldon suite does have gorgeous views. And maybe one day when you are planning your future wedding you will remember the grand staircase of Heythrop Park Resort. We hold many wedding receptions at our Resort. We look forward to hopefully hosting yours.
Regards
J Angus Resort Director

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had arrived late at night, after the 'Jamie Oliver Feastival' occurring in the not-so-nearby town of Kingham. The young man at reception checked us in and said: "Oh, you've already checked in. Not to worry. Here." - He tapped a few buttons, gave us our key and said: "Your room is left, down come old concrete steps, no - erm - left down the corridor - through some double doors and just continue for a while."

It was about a five minute walk through what was more like a Youth Hostel / hospital corridor until we reached our room. We tried the key. Didn't work. Tried several more times. I left my girlfriend in the corridor and jogged back to reception and queued up as a few people were complaining about rooms being occupied and keys not working as well as checking in.

10 minutes later, I speak with the chap who checked us in and said the key didn't work. He took the key card, slotted it into the machine and handed it back. "Should work now." He said. I then jog back and try the card. It worked! About to crash out on the bed, exhausted, we discover clothes and washbags, handbags and such like already dotted around the room.

We both close the door and head back to reception. Nearly 40 minutes from checking in.

We queue up again and mention someone else already has this room. "Oh, erm, OK. Here. Let me look for another. Oh er. I don't know what is going on. Here, try this one." He then hands me another key, spouts off a few more random directions, pointing in the opposite way than before and so we trek off there.

We enter the Terrace room and it looked rather grand. This is more like it. My girlfriend is wanting to go to the bathroom and I'm about to drop out luggage, when we noticed yet again, someone else's bags. Lots of them. Nearing an hour after check in now.. we head back to the Mickey Mouse Reception.

Somebody is in the line before us complaining that her Terrace room key card didn't work. I comment that she should have this one as I was just given a key to her room. She was nearly in tears and said she was getting married the following day!

Fifteen minutes later we were given another card and another set of directions. I wanted to be escorted to the THIRD ROOM and then a minor discussion took place to one side about it for five minutes. I asked if there would be anything complimentary, breakfast, money off, a drink at the bar, anything - "Oh, erm. You should get something. I'll get back to you." With reluctance, another member of staff led us HALF WAY to our room. "It's just up there." He pointed. I asked him to try the door for us in case it didn't work. He sighed and came back - it worked - opened the door and said: "Single bed there, single bed there and another one." (We asked for a double room, but hey - we were tired, it had been an hour after check in.

A bog-standard YMCA type room, which I propped the chair against the door and the luggage rack wedged against the handle in case others happened to be given a key that opens our door. Not too safe a feeling for either of us, but it was a good job we were exhausted.

There was no concession or complimentary anything. Upon check-out, there was a host of other people waiting to check in for a wedding, to which I heard: "Grounds look nice. I do hope the reviews aren't as bad as what I have read."

Yes, Sir. They are.

#1 of 1 in Minster Lovell
Macdonald Bear Hotel
Macdonald Bear Hotel
#1 of 6 in Woodstock

Been to Heythrop Park Resort? Share your experiences!