“Hotel in a beautiful setting” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Sutton Coldfield
“Hotel in a beautiful setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

A long and picturesque driveway leads to an impressive entrance. As you drop off at reception the view is lovely as you have the backdrop of the Manor house (devere venues) next to the very contemporary Crown Plaza. The hotel lobby areas were very contemporary yet had a lovely warmth to them and the bedroom did not disappoint it was nice to have a bath and a walk in shower! We spent several hours walking around the grounds before using the pool, my only complaint was that it was pitch black outside and quite difficult to figure which direction we should go in to get back to the Crowne Plaza after our swim which wasn't great when we were wet and cold. We found a back door which led through to the old manor house which forms part of the resort. This part of the hotel has been beautifully restored and was very elegant and charming and has several delightful drawing rooms off a very impressive lobby with imposing stairs and minstrels gallery, this part of the hotel is linked by a series of corridors to the Crowne Plaza. We opted to eat in the bar area as we had a child with us and it offered a more relaxed dining experience the food was good and was quite good value. Breakfast was served in the Brassey restaurant and this is my complaint with the hotel. Breakfast was served til 930 and as this was school holidays and a majority of the guests were family parties most arrived at 9 which through the breakfast service into turmoil. The chef and staff couldn't cope I waited 10 minutes for an egg so had to throw my original plate of food away then sausages ran out and it wasn't worth the wait almost inedible chewy food. the tea they served was undrinkable and there were several complaints from other guests too and the milk tasted sour, quite honestly the worst breakfast I have ever had in fact we popped into Chipping Norton and got a much improved breakfast for half the price. At check-out I did mention the problems but there was no offer of a refund for the breakfast which in all honesty should have been given. The hotel should have looked at the combination of guests taken into consideration that whilst it was a Monday it was still a holiday period and extended breakfast times to make it more manageable for the staff and more pleasurable for the guests!!! Breakfast aside I think this is a gem of a place to stay for a total retreat for families or couples.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your time with us but please accept our apologies for the issues you experienced during breakfast. We take all feedback very seriously and this will certainly be passed on to the Chef and the Restaurant staff to make the necessary changes to ensure this does not happen again.
Thanks again for your review and we look forward to seeing you at the hotel again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I booked the Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park for myself and my partner as a quiet two night break over New Year using IHG Rewards Points and have to say it was an inspired choice.

On check in we were given a complimentary upgrade on the room which was very much appreciated. We enjoyed a stay in one of the ground floor patio rooms towards the rear of the hotel. The room was very spacious, spotlessly clean and had all the amenities you would expect of a hotel of this nature. The bathroom in particular, with walk in drench shower, was a definite plus. The only slight grumble was the lack of wardrobe and, particularly, drawer space and the fact there were only four coat hangers provided. We made do for two nights but I would imagine if you were there for a longer stay the lack of drawer space may be an issue, especially given the fact that the room was so large and could easily accommodate more storage without taking anything away from the room itself.

We used the hotel as a base to travel to Oxford and around the Cotswolds so didn't use the restaurant or leisure facilities, on that basis I can't comment, or review, either.

The hotel is part of a resort complex shared with an adjacent De Vere hotel. Because it is a resort it is on a very much larger, spread out, scale than what you would consider to be a normal hotel layout. The leisure facilities are at the far side of the complex to the Crowne Palza but the hotel has a golf buggy available to ferry customers from the hotel to the leisure club if anyone would require it, although if you are going to use the leisure facilities it seems a bit odd that the ten minute walk or so may be an issue to actually getting there.

The De Vere public areas are very ornate and grand in comparison to the more functional and business orientated Crowne Plaza. There is no restriction in movement between the two hotels so it made for a nice change in scenery to sit in one of the very plush De Vere bars for a couple of hours on the first evening.

The resort is set in a huge expanse of open parkland incorporating a golf course, there are detailed guides to routed nature walks around the grounds both at reception and in the rooms but, unfortunately, the weather wasn't particularly kind during our stay, although I would imagine it would be well worth spending a few hours wandering round the grounds if the weather permits. Bikes are also available from the hotel for the same purpose.

We spent New Years Eve in the Brassy Bar and had a couple of their platter meals from the bar menu, one was a seafood platter and the other an Italian style antipasto platter, both were served on a wooden board with various accompaniments and were faultless and thoroughly enjoyed.

The bar itself was fairly quiet through the evening of New Year and, as midnight approached, those of us that were in the bar were invited by the hotel to join a Masquerade type function in the ball room to participate in the midnight countdown, a nice, thoughtful, touch and very much appreciated. From there we went outside to enjoy a firework display, again a nice touch.

I stay in IHG hotels on a weekly basis and would not hesitate to recommend Heythrop Park for either a leisure or business stay. We definitely plan on returning during the spring / summer to make fuller use of the facilities and grounds.

A final mention for the staff, from reception, to the bar, to the housekeeping staff, everyone of them could not do enough and their friendly, warm and polite manner made the stay extemely enjoyable.

Thankyou to all.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of your New Year stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed a relaxing break and look forward to seeing you at the hotel again very soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed here for a weekend break for 2 adults & 2 children and found our stay very comfortable. The grounds are absolutely amazing and well worth a walk around. If you like golf then this is a great thing to do too.The old building is a grand structure and must be a favourite for weddings/celebrations.

Spa facilities offer a great choice of treatments to relax and the pool was very much enjoyed by my children.

The hotel and rooms are modern & clean with friendly staff. Our room was spacious with comfortable beds, bathroom was very clean & spacious. We found the room was great for a family of 4. It would be ideal to have more cupboard/draw space however for a 2 night stay we managed.

If you really like your breakfast, then this will be the only thing that disappoints you! The breakfast here is probably not worth having unless you prefer cereal/toast!! However the staff are attentive and asked what we did not like about it and very polite.

The whether was not great this weekend and as the spa is situated in another building (7 min walk) the hotel offer a buggy ride to drop and pick you up which was perfect for the kids.

We really enjoyed our stay here and recommend this hotel & hope to return again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Pepsi-chana
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for your recent review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Please visit our website for great value family packages all year round.
RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

There are two parts to the Crowne Plaza, one of which being the old Manor house. Wonderful to stay in an old manor house in the English countryside. The rooms were recently renovated, not reflective of the manor, and much more modern, but VERY tight & small, which I understand to be very 'usual' for English hotels. Clean, quiet, but very warm. The breakfast the next morning in the dining room overlooking the large green was nice, both the scenery & the food. The buffet consisted of your 'usual' English breakfast foods, and their staff was very attentive and service oriented. We were very fortunate to attend a party in the ballroom the night previous, where the food was good, as well as the service. Their DJ played ALL the best tunes, having my husband dancing all night (NOT usual!).

Room Tip: I think we stood in a handicap room, as the shower was all open throughout the bathroom, which was a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us - we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you at the hotel again soon.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

We had booked this as a much needed break in between Christmas and New Year.
I will start with the things that the hotel need to work on
1) Service - this as mediocre at best. We ate in the Brassy restaurant on the saturday and whilst I appreciate this may the busiest night I do not expect to be told that I cannot have the drink I want (Archers and lemonade) as they don't have the time to go to bar to fetch it but they did have time to go down and get a bacardi and coke????? !!!
Also when in the bar the following afternoon for coffee we ordered 2 cappuccinos and were given 2 lattes instead. When I asked the staff about why we didn't get the coffee we had ordered they merely stated that there was a problem with the milk.
2) Food Quality - our first night dinner (sat) in the Brassy restaurant was tasteless and very uninspiring. As for the children's buffet, it was evident that if was not refreshed and the most rubbery chicken nuggets I have ever seen.
Breakfast - this was the standard buffet, which you expect. However again here the service was below par. The children had to wait 20 minutes before they got their hot chocolates, the buffet ran out of food and we had to wait or 10 minutes before it replenished, not one member of staff refilled your coffee/tea without being asked. I have to say we stayed at a Best Western when visiting Alton Towers and got a far superior service for breakfast. Crown Plaza take heed.
3) Room storage - Whilst the rooms are modern and clean there is no storage to stow any clothes. For a family of 4 this meant that we had to leave all our clothes in the bags we arrived in.
4) swimming pool - the hotel is advertised as family friendly with a swimming pool, just make sure you turn up at the crack of dawn to get in. no more than 24 people are allowed in at a time so if it's full you have to put your name down on a waiting list.!!!

On the positive side the old house and the grounds are well maintained.
There are 2 walks which the hotel have marked out and I would recommend taking the longer one.
You get a great walk around the grounds.

I am not in the habit of leaving negative reviews, however I had to on this occasion as the service and food was such a let down.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank speedbird99
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. Your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments and where necessary new procedures and training have been implemented to avoid these kind of issues in the future.
Health and safety restrictions limit the number of people using the pool at any one time and on the day in question we did have a significant waiting list.
New procedures have been put in to place to ensure that guests are kept fully informed at all times.
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and apologise for any inconvenience
caused.
Caerphilly, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

Not quite as bad as the title sounds but I did arrive in the dark and wondered if I was ever going to find the place. What a surprise when I eventually arrived at this wonderful park and location. It wasn't until the morning that I realised just how fantastic this place was.

The hotel itself is very large and well maintained. The staff were very helpful and attentive. I had room service in my very luxurious room with a large TV on a swivel that allowed me to watch it from bed or from my living room !!!.

Breakfast in the morning was great with a fantastic view over the front lawn and grounds. Definately one to re-visit in the summer months.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent stay. We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again very soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was a surprise stay for my wife and it turned out to be well beyond my or her expectations. Enjoyed the spa and the bar very much. Waiters Imre and Tibor were very attentive and knew what they were doing. I hope their work is being appreciated. Cleaning staff Ferenc was also very helpful and able to help with different queries we had. All in all it was a memorable and delightful 2 nights and will definitely come back once I am around. Well done hotel staff!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Istvan B
Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your time with us. We will ensure that your positive comments are passed on to the staff you mentioned by name and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Norton
Eynsham Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Leigh
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,152 reviews
The Oxfordshire Golf Club & Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford? Share your experiences!