“Wonderful Grounds”

Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel lies in beautiful countryside where you can walk, within the hotel's grounds, for many hours. Just stunning. The hotel itself offered a large, well designed room - with one of the best showers I've ever experienced. The restaurant was noisy - too open plan maybe - but the food was very good and reasonably priced. The wine list wasn't extensive but carried enough to get by. The staff - both hotel and restaurant - were polite and and accommodating. There is a spa - but this is apart from the hotel itself and I didn't get to try it. One night was not enough. A very good experience I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing at the hotel again very soon.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Another week, another hotel stay. This one was again another work trip and as the hotel was the venue for where the event was being held I allowed the office to book for me. Knowing it was booked for a 'standard room, single occupancy' my expectations were not high.

I drove down to the hotel, and my sat nav dumped me in a country lane opposite a house. Ugh. I had to use common sense to guess the extra 10 minutes of country lane to bring me to the poorly signposted hotel entrance...but when I arrived I understood why? It had taken me the back way.

This hotel, although a Crowne Plaza, is not your usual expectation of a Crowne Plaza! Nestled in acres of woodland, you have to drive a further five minutes through the countryside and past an amazing looking golf course to reach the hotel, and boy, is it an impressive hotel! Do you like your sprawling hotels a mix of modern and historic architecture? Do you like an impressive driveway and fountain outside? Then this, my friend, is your cup of tea.

Sadly, the check in process was the first hurdle, as it was like pulling teeth. The staff didn't really rush and as the hotel was busy, there was a queue too. Although there were two rooms booked under one name, for some reason my colleague and I were almost put in the same room before we pointed out the error. Maybe we looked like we were up for some reckless abandon? We weren't!!!

However, none of this mattered when I got to my room (room 008). Goodness, for a standard room this was amazing. Even for an executive room it would have been up to if not beyond my expectations. It was large, airy and decorated beautifully. There was a floor to ceiling mirror on the wall opposite the bathroom (how terribly naughty), and the bathroom itself was modern with a separate bath and a fantastic walk-in power shower. Fluffy white bath robes were provided and there were plenty of towels too.

The tea and coffee making facilities had luxury biscuits (not that I eat them) and there was plenty of desk space with a mirror running the length of it so it would double as a vanity unit. On the wall was a flat screen TV and the king sized bed was THE most comfortable bed I have slept in, bar my own, all year! I fell asleep in this bed and did not wake once until my alarm cruelly forced me to. Oh, and the rooms are incredibly peaceful and quiet, probably due to the fact you are in the middle of nowhere.

On the bedside table was a small sleep set that contained a lavender pillow spray and roller ball duo. Not that you needed it! The room was a ground floor room so had a floor to ceiling window with door so you could access outside and overlook the sprawling countryside. Oh beware people jogging past. No strolling about in your room semi-clad or you may get spotted!

The ONLY downside of this room was the fact that the wifi would not connect. Oh dear...yes...wifi. ANOTHER hotel that charges for in room wifi. £9 a day. It's free in public areas. Great. Wonderful. But I really needed it in my room as the O2 mobile phone signal was appalling and switched between GPRS and zero signal which meant I couldn't even get online to connect to the wifi I paid for. Disappointing! But hey, maybe this is part of the relaxation package they offer? You are forced to cut off from the outside world due to lack of signal?

We ate at the 1st floor bar that evening. I ordered the goats cheese salad which tasted fabulous and was reasonably (for a hotel) priced. My colleague tucked into a massive yorkshire pudding stuffed with sausages and chips which apparently tasted amazing?

Breakfast was disappointing. Although there was a mix of hot and cold buffet, the hot food was at best, lukewarm and the mushrooms were stone cold! Why don't hotels just get the food warmers turned up a level please? Lots of helpful staff though.

Sadly I didn't get chance to fully enjoy the facilities as I was working all weekend. However the hotel, although large, never seemed busy so if you wanted to unwind and relax and cut yourself off from the world then this is the place for you. If you want a healthy retreat (there's a well equipped gym, pool, gold course, running and walking tracks plus spa) then this is the place for you. Oh..and for all the above reasons (never bumping into anyone, luxurious big bed, wall to ceiling mirror and inability to get a mobile phone signal and therefore be found) it is also the ideal place for a weekend of reckless abandon with someone you shouldn't!!!

I will definitely be returning....as of yet I am unsure why, but no doubt I'll have a smile on my face whatever reason I choose!

Fantastic value, fantastic hotel, fantastic countryside. Go now!!!!!!!!

2  Thank Vanessa B
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you were impressed by the hotel.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This Crowne Plaza is in a wonderful location surrounded by miles (literally) of rolling countryside.
A Modern block with excellent facilities.
Rooms are well appointed with beds extremely comfortable.

Dining is confusing! We were too late to book into the Crowne Plaza restauarnt but were offerred the opportunity bto dine in the De Vere Hotel restaurant which is joined up with the Crowne Plaza. Magically our bill for the meal was processed by the Crowne Plaza!

We had the intermittent problem of a false fire alarm. We took the route designated down to the ground floor.When the alarm was declared a false alarm we took the lift up to the "3rd Floor" which turned out to be the 2nd Floor in another part of the Hotel.Trying to get back to our room took us back to Reception only to start our upward journey again. It was very confusing-perhaps we are too old for this "adventure"

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BIRDIE2Cambridge
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.
The signage in the hotel is currently being addressed so I will ensure that your comments are passed on to the department dealing with this.
We hope you would consider the hotel for any return visits to the area.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

On this occasion I stayed at the CP for a business trip, but have used it for both business and family.

The hotel is well located and sits halfway between Oxford and Stratford Upon Avon making it a great location for a weekend break.

The food in the restaurant is of a good standard. The dinner bed and breakfast deal is excellent value for a family trip with a reasonable choice of food at dinner. Breakfast is excellent, the smoked salmon and scrambled egg alone make a stay worthwhile if in the area working.

This is a resort hotel and it shares spa facilities and golf with the De Vere (which is attached). £18 for a twilight round of golf after 3pm makes it good value.

The only downside to the hotel is the rooms need a little attention. Beds are always very comfy but the rooms could do with a refurb and the cleaner needs to learn how to deal with cobwebs. Sort this and it will be an excellent venue.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you for your review of your recent stay.
We look forward to seeing you at the hotel again very soon.
We will ensure your feedback regarding housekeeping is passed on.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza overnight on a conference.

This is a very well equipped, large, modern hotel set in huge parkland. It is reasonably isolated, so is a good location for a conference: very quiet, with few distractions.

My room was large and well kept, with a vast, extremely comfortable, king size bed and flat screen TV. The bathroom was also large, with separate shower and bathtub. Toiletries were of a high standard.

The hotel caters very well for conferences. There is a very large lecture theatre and numerous breakout rooms. Coffee, mineral water and Danish pastries were on plentiful supply.

The dinner, in the ballroom, was excellent and of high quality.

Sadly, I left early the following day without sampling breakfast.

I really can't complain about the Crowne Plaza in any respect. It's ideal for a conference, and would probably also be a comfy base for a weekend in the Cotswolds.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay as a conference guest and hope that you would consider a leisure break with us for any return stays to the area in the future to sample our Health Club, spa and golf facilities.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed with my husband for one night on my birthday. Driveway approach to hotel is beautiful, Lots of car parking. Reception staff friendly. Our room was with a small balcony at the far left of the hotel. It was quiet and away from the car park with views of the golf course. Our room decor was unusual for a hotel, but we really liked it. All clean and good order. Comfy bed. Bathroom clean. Breakfast was in the restaurant and was very nice. Again unusual furnishings but this made it more special. Ate in the bar on the evening, it was Ok, but not much choice for a vegetarian. Quite pricey. The only criticism I have is regarding the outside area. It was a lovely hot evening when we were there and we walked out onto the lawn where there were a few seats, but there appeared to be a lot of cigarette butts on the lawn which were unsightly. There either needs to be a designated area and bins available for butts or to have the area regularly cleaned up. It seemed out of character with the rest of the hotel which was immaculate.
Leisure facilities are a short stroll via the separate old style hotel which it is attached to this one. We didn't use them, but they looked good.
We would return in the same room.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking golf course.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review of your recent stay.
We are always thrilled to hear when a guest enjoys their time with us and look forward to seeing at the hotel again very soon.
We will however, ensure that your feedback regarding the smoking area is fed back to the correct department for investigation.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Visited this hotel for a long weekend with my husband. Was impressed by the surroundings and grandeur of the hotel. Received very warm welcome on our arrival. Our room was well designed well equipped and nicely decorated. However, it was rather grubby. Several stains on carpet. And the mattress had seen better days.

The Brassery Bar although decorated very sumptuously and comfortably some of the furniture was extremely grubby. The curtains had stains down them as well. The menu in the Brassery bar offered a good choice of bar snacks and the food we had was very good. The service was ok. The Brassery Restaurant evening menu was extremely good. The food and service was exceptional. Shame the same could not be said about breakfast. It was very poor. The food was mediocre and staff indifferent. To cap it off on the Monday mornong we arrived a little late for breakfast due to a mix up with the times. Even though there were guests still eating and food still on the counters, we were told in no uncertain terms that we could not have any breakfast not even a cup of tea or a bowl of cereal. No extra hospitality here. We would possibly stay here again as the hotel itself was lovely and the surroundings were beautiful. Wouldn't bother with the breakfast though and would hope that the furniture and bedrooms have had a deep clean.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review.
We are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel location and surroundings, but are sorry to read that you were disappointed with certain areas.
We review all feedback and will ensure that your comments are passed on to the relevant departments for further investigation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Norton
#1 of 1 in North Leigh
The Fox
The Fox
#1 of 5 in Chipping Norton

Been to Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford? Share your experiences!