“Wonderful stay”

Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I spend a lovely weekend in this hotel and I hope to return in summer as it was very cold outside with snow and I didn't feel brave enough to explore the surrounding.

The receptionist was very friendly and welcomed us with a smile. She had our room keys ready and explained how the resort works.

Our room was bautiful but very compact, the huge bed took up most of the space but I didn't really mind as it was modern and clean. The bed was so nice and confy I wanted to stay there forever. It was facing the internal courtyard , therefore very quiet.

The bathroom was huge with separate shower area and bath.

The pool was a long way from the hotel but we managed to explore and found a corridor that took us to the older hotel next door so most of the walk to the spa was indoors. I would like to score it 5/5 but the lack of a jacuzzi is such a missed opportunity.

On check out, the girls in reception were in great mood again, we left with a really good impression.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything provided complimented your stay. Regards Debbie priestley General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,350)

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Set in the beautiful Cotswold countryside we had checked into the most amazing room. I stay in hotels frequently and am a stickler for cleanliness but even I struggled to pick fault with the standard of the room and bathroom.
Bright, airy and modern - would strongly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that everything provided complimented your stay. We take great pride in working as a team and we take both praise and criticism graciously
Thank you for your excellent comments, the team here at the Heythrop Hotel was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Regards the General Manager D priestley

Reviewed April 22, 2013

It is a great shame that I can't give the Crowne Plaza at Heythrop Park 5 out of 5, and in fact if I could award half stars my rating would be closer to 3.5.

I recently stayed here on business and as I was without transport and reliant on taxis, I didn't make much of an effort to leave the complex once I got there, dining in the restaurant and various bar areas and having breakfast there each morning of my 2 night/3 day stay. And unfortunately, despite all the fantastic things about this resort, it was the service I received at these food outlets that has the Crowne Plaza leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

The hotel itself is fabulous. Set in the most stunning grounds, with modern, well equipped and better yet, well designed, rooms, the Crowne Plaza is a beautiful and comfortable place to stay. I've stayed in a lot of hotels and I don't think I ever spent a night in a room that was not only spotlessly clean, but so clean and perfect that it didn't seem like anyone could've stayed there before me. The front desk staff were also exceptionally helpful and all other services, from TV channels to wi-fi, were great. Even the fact that the hotel had a big wedding and a large corporate group in house didn't deter from my enjoyment of it; usually when you stay on your own you might feel like those groups had "taken over" the hotel and prevent you from using it, but the place is so big it didn't feel like that at all. For all this plus waking up and thinking for a second that you've accidentally checked into the Palace of Versailles, the price of £130 b&b wasn't bad either.

So one thing in particular was bad, and that was the service I received anytime I tried to eat or drink.

The first afternoon I went next door to the Charlebury Bar in the Heythrop Park Hotel, which is connected, to get a latte, which arrived filled with coffee grounds, served by a waitress so timid I was afraid she was about to drop the entire thing in my lap and it came at the same time as the bill, which I always find a bit rude. But, that was just a coffee, and hardly going to affect my impression of the hotel. But then...

The first night a friend joined me and we decided to have dinner at the Brassery restaurant at the Crowne Plaza, the restaurant that I think they'd like to think is fine dining. It said in the literature in my room to make a reservation, but no one answered the phone so I decided just to show up. We walked in around 7pm in the evening to an almost completely empty restaurant, and were told we couldn't sit by the window because they were all reserved -- yet two of them were still empty when we left. We were handed the menu, and I wished at this point we'd got up and left, because not only were the prices eye-watering, but the choice was so limited it was like something you'd be offered at a wedding ("meat or fish?"), and offered no real choice at all. We ordered steaks, noting at the bottom of the menu the rather rude message "Please allow 25 minutes if you're not ordering a starter." Um, okay then. The food tasted okay, but my well done steak was pink right the way through. Presumably due to the lack of patrons the staff had time to congregate by the door and chat amongst themselves, and our waitress was so giddy when she came to take our food orders that she actually laughed in our faces before running away snorting. The biggest insult came at the end of the meal, when the bill informed us that despite paying the best part of £25 for our steaks, the sauce on top of them was an additional £1. On the way out the staff just looked blankly at us.

On the day I left I had a few hours to kill before leaving to catch my train, so I sat in the bar area off the lobby. There was perhaps two other tables occupied. I went to the bar to order a pot of tea, and was told "Well, I have to make seven coffees." Not "it might be a while as I've just received a large order" or "No problem, I'll bring it as soon as I can" -- just, well, I'm already busy. I felt like saying, "Well, lucky it's your job then, isn't it?!" The barman actually wanted me to go upstairs, to an entirely different bar area, to order my tea there, because his day was already full with his seven coffees. I steamed in my chair for a while before ordering the tea, which eventually came ten minutes later. I sat there a while, killing time, and then thought I might have a sandwich. Now I was told the bar was closed, and I had to go upstairs -- not just to order it, but to eat it as well. At this stage I was just so annoyed I went up there just to get away from my reluctant barman, and I was glad I did: I got the only good service of my entire stay, and was asked for the first time if everything was all right with my food (it was).

My friend, who was staying in the hotel next door (the "main house", Heythrop Park Hotel) told me that he'd gone looking for somewhere to get a tea around the same time, and was told the only open bar was the one I was simultaneously being encouraged to leave.

This hotel is fantastic. It's on amazing grounds, it's in a nice area, it's reasonably priced and it has a lot to offer. But the restaurant is a joke and the wait staff are, for the most part, sleep-walking or worse, giggling at guests. If you were staying in a city centre location, this wouldn't be so bad, because there'd be other options. But with the road being a 5 minute drive away and the nearest town another 10 or so onto that, you're stuck with what's on offer in the hotel which, at the Crowne Plaza, isn't much at all.

It is SUCH a shame because otherwise, I love this hotel and would be happy to go back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank catherineh1982

We endeavor as a team to ensure that all our guests have a wonderful stay in a clean and comfortable environment.. Our team work very hard to ensure that every guest enjoys every aspect of their stay with us and we also take both praise and criticism graciously. Therefore I would like to apologise for the disappointment that you experienced during your stay with us. We take the quality of our food very seriously and we continually aim to reach the highest of standards, although on this occasion we did not. Your comments have been passed onto the head chef. Also my sincere apology for the level of attention to detail afforded to you in our restaurant and bar areas. Please be assured that your comments have been acted upon and re-training has been given to ensure that this does not re-occur again. Regards General Manager Debbie Priestley

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Five of us went visited for a girly weekend, as part of a package deal.

The hotel I cannot fault, the rooms were lovely, well furnished and clean. We had great fun exploring, and going to the 'old' part of the hotel. The staff were attentive, extra pillows toothbrushes etc bought to our room within minutes

The restaurant was very good, for both breakfast and evening food. There was also a nice bar area, with a good selection of drinks.

The only downside to our trip was the spa! It's about a 5 minute walk from the hotel (ok not the end of the world, but when its throwing it down, not fun). So they gave us a lift over in the golf buggy, but we were told when we came to leave they couldn't take us back as it was dark by then and the buggies don't have lights.

As you walk into the spa reception you are greeted with a strong smell of chip fat (there is a cafe at the 'spa'). The pool and sauna were nice enough, but it was full of kids, screaming, running and jumping in the pool, not relaxing. We didn't stay long.

The next day we returned for the treatments we had booked, the girls were ok, it was meant to be 30 minute treatment, we were barely in their 20 mins (I think this is because a member of staff had not turned up and they were running behind - not our fault) , but the rooms were right next to the reception, and you could hear everyone in reception chatting.

Great hotel, shame about the spa. Don't waste your money on a 'spa package', you might as well go to your local pool!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ThumperThomp
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for your descriptive review covering all areas. We constantly aim to provide the best experience for all our guests and any reviews give us the opportunity to do so. Therefore I I would like to apologise for the disappointment that you experienced during your Spa experience.
It is so important to have time out from the hustle and bustle of a hard working week and spend some quality special time relaxing. Your comments have been passed to my team and they will be addressed and where appropriate full re-training will be incorporated. Regareds Debbie Priestley General Manager.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed on my own (long story...) for 3 nights in April 2013. I had a modern, comfortable bedroom with lovely shower room. My only observation was that the room is designed for the businessman staying for a night, maybe two-there is minimal clothes storage space which was absolutely fine for me, but had I been travelling with my wife, we would have needed a different room with proper storage space (which I am sure the hotel would have been able to provide). The restaurant again was modern with lots of very comfortable white leather chairs and banquettes, many of which overlook the huge grounds. The food was much better than I had expected and breakfast had pretty much everything you would need.
There is a proper 20m pool with a sauna and steam room. The only disappointment was the lack of a hot-tub which was surprising given the place was built only about 3 years ago and this would have been very welcome after a round of golf. Thats just my preference but may not be so important to many other people.
The golf course was very interesting and varied with a choice of tees going up to 7000yards if you want along with excellent practice facilities.
All in all, for the price I paid, it was fantastic value. Superb venue for a golf break or base for the Cotswolds/Oxford area.

Room Tip: Depending on your requirements, check the wardrobe & drawer space!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

I am glad that we met most of your expectations. We take great pride in working as a team and we take both praise and criticism graciously . Thank you for your excellent comments, the team here at the Heythrop Hotel was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Regards General Manager Debbie Priestley

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Me and my fiancé spent 2 nights at the crowne plaza heythrop park just recently and really couldn't fault it at all! We stayed in an executive room which we got at a great deal. When we arrived, we were very impressed with the hotel and it's grounds. The 440 acres it's situated in are outstanding and seem very well kept. As we entered the hotel it instantly felt welcoming and the staff on receiption were more than friendly and accomodating.
The room was lovely, very clean and modern and no lack of complimentary items (we all love a freebie!). If I had to be picky, due to the steam that gathers in the bathroom some of the paint had come off the ceiling exposing the plaster, but this didn't bother us in the slightest (who looks at the ceiling anyway?).

We sampled the brassey restaurant and the food was beautiful, tasty and good sized portions. Service was impeccable. The breakfast in the morning was the same standard, with plenty of options to choose from and a fast service.

Even taking into account the fact that we had to evacuate the building at 5.30am sunday morning due to the fire alarm sounding (someone overheated the shower basically), it didnt effect our stay and overall, we had an amazing time at the hotel and we would definatley return! It was made even more special by the fact that my partner proposed :)

We look forward to returning, maybe for a bit longer next time!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Hayleyhearts
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Wow, thank you for the great comments and a double wow and congratulations on your future wedding (i assume you said yes). Did you get to visit the wonderful old Country House attached to the Crown plazza? Initially built by Charles Talbot, 1st Duke of Shrewsbury. It is a magnificent build, of the Italian Palazzo style. The original building (18th century) still stands although it suffered a serious fire in 1831 and although restored eventually became a Jesuit college and now a wonderful country retreat. The old house is an ideal setting for weddings and receptions (with its magnificent staircase) may be it is a place that you could consider - we have a wonderful wedding co-ordinator who would be delighted to assist you. (It’s just a thought). But where ever you celebrate your special day I wish you and your future husband all the best. I do hope we will see you both again soon. Regards Debbie Priestley General Manager.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had a spa break here this weekend with my mother and we throughly enjoyed ourselves.

The venue was lovely. Old look on the outside but so modern and well kept on the inside.

Letita was our receptionist who was very clear and attentive, Tom who drove us in the buggy was lovely, friendly and professional.

The food was delicious and the restaurant was beautiful.. I had pressed chicken with apple chutney for my starter, pork belly ( AMAZING ) for main and sticky toffee pudding for dessert. It wasn't that sticky but very tasty.

My mother had the home made soup, salmon for main which she really enjoyed but dessert was fruit salad that wasn't great.

Our treatments were great and we would love to visit again. Think our therapist was Sue.

Only bad points were room - even though it was so lovely inside it was a bit small and a little bit dark it was a standard room. Try and upgrade your room. Also lunch was a bit disappointing. I had a cheese sandwich and my mum had salmon. Very over priced and not worth it really.

Other than that everything was perfect!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicole M

It is so important to have time out from the hustle and bustle of a hard working week and spend some quality special time relaxing with your partner/family/friends. We constantly review comments and it is our aim to improve any imperfections that are posted on the Trip Advisor website. • Many thanks for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us although it was brief but we look forward to seeing you in the future. Regards Debbie Priestley General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Norton
#1 of 1 in North Leigh
Old Swan & Minster Mill
Old Swan & Minster Mill
#1 of 1 in Minster Lovell

Been to Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford? Share your experiences!