“Pleasant but corporate”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
london
“Pleasant but corporate”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed in Crowne Plaza March '13 for 1 night in Executive Room, nice large walk in shower on contemporary Bathroom, room was good size with contemporary decor. We decided to eat in Brasserie Bar, did'nt get what i ordered but i decided to go with it - mistake.... i was awake untill 3am felling unwell. My partners meal was fine as was her cooked Breakfast the next morning which she enjoyed. Service was very good all round and they even quickly sent a Maintainence man to check our A/C settings after we thought it was'nt working (it was). Car Park is a long way from the Entrance but you can Drop off and Pick up no problem. Lovely large grounds and the Pool complexe has a good size Pool with very good changing rooms. This is a large complexe and is attached to the Heythrop Park Hotel which is a beautiful building. Bikes are available for hire at the Hotel to explore the grounds, there is a Childrens play area and a rather nice Golf Course. Something for everyone!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Many thanks for sharing your experience. It was a pleasure to read your review. We take great pride in making sure that all our customers have an enjoyable and a relaxing time. Our aim is to maintain high standards. We are fortunate to be such a busy hotel. With many conferences and functions. We do try very hard to ensure that any events that we hold do not detract from the relaxing environment we offer our guests. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Regards Debbie Priestley General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We drove a mile and half up a long private driveway wondering what we were going to find, it then opened up to a wonderful view of what we can only describe as an old Stately Home. This place is HUGE and looks and is very exclusive!!!

We walked into reception and were greeted straight away by one of the receptionist who was so friendly and told us pretty much everything we needed to know.

We went off to our room and were astounded at the size of the bed in the King Executive Room we were allocated. The room was very clean and well presented. The bathroom had a large bath on one side and a separate large shower area on the other side.

We went to the Leisure facilities which was quite a walk away from the main reception having to go outside through a courtyard at the back of the hotel and along the drive but it showed us how large this place really is. The facilities were ok but not extensive, the pool was quite cool but very very large, there was no Jacuzzi but there was a sauna and steam room.

We ate in the restaurant which was also quite amazing. The surroundings were very stylish and sophisticated, the staff were excellent and the food ..... well, that was exceptional!!!

The hotel is an amazing place and, if you are into golf then they have a golf course. We will certainly return again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I was delighted to read your wonderful comments, thank you for taking the time to post them. Our aim is to ensure that all our clients experience a relaxing and enjoyable time in such amazing surroundings, we look forward to seeing you in the future. Regards Debbie Priestley General Manager
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel provided a very pleasant stay. We checked into an extremely impressive suite the room was modern, had excellent facilities and was very clean.
For those looking for an out of town retreat, the location was perfect with easy access to open countryside and an impressive looking golf course for those that way inclined!
We did not use the leisure facilities but did take a look and these appeared very good.
After a lovely afternoon walk we decided rather unusually to stay at the hotel for dinner rather than explore the local area. We were very glad we did so - the food was excellent as was the service. All staff were very attentive and professional.
Overall a lovely stay and we would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your views on the Trip Advisor website. I am glad that you enjoyed your time at the Crowne Plaza Resort. It is an excellent place to base your-self for venturing out and about (although you stayed on home ground). The surrounding villages and the national trust properties within the Cotswolds are a delight to have on our door step, we are very lucky in deed. we hope to see you soon. Regards Debbie Priestley General Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went here during a cold weekend in February. The estate is huge and already beautiful this time of the year. Must be even better during summer. We really liked the food in the restaurant, the nice looking one we could not enter with a baby but the menu is the same as the other restaurant. We had ordered a baby bed and it was ready in our room. If you have a baby bed travelcod at home, think about bringing the mattrass to use in the cod provided by the hotel. The spa is nothing more than 3 rooms upstairs in the swimming pool area. My colleague had been a few weeks before us and informed us all spa was fully booked for the weekend when he was there, so we called three weeks in advance and could only get a 30 mins massage. Because the rooms are used back to back and are cleaned in between the massage was effectively just 20 mins. I recommend to book well in advance! The swimming pool (with steam room and sauna) and changing rooms are downstairs but we had not brought a bathrobe and was also not offered so in the spa room we got dressed again to get to the pool area.
The personnel was great throughout the hotel, very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel just for the friendly personnel, beautiful surroundings and nice food. The Spa could do with some improvements. We also went for dinner in the crown inn in the nearby village, can strongly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
It is clear from your comments that your stay at was not perfect. It is our aim to make all guests who stay with us, have a relaxing and an enjoyable time and those they want to come back again and again. The crown inn in the nearby village, is an excellant place to go. Your comments have been noted and will be addressed. Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and observations. Regards Debbie Priestley General Manager
berkshire
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed here with my son and we enjoyed feeling a little separate from the world outside. The room was nice but not as large as I had imagined. Lovely bathroom with huge separate shower. The pool and spa area was a two minute walk away but very beautiful grounds. The pool was a little smelly and the water cloudy - not helped by the odd black tiles. The bar food was good and the staff very charming. Comfy beds although a little soft for my liking and I woke up with a bad back. Breakfast was very expensive despite being offered 25% off voucher- this only took us down to 7.50 for child and 14.95 for an adult but there was a good selection and I enjoyed my salmon and scrambled eggs. Overall we had a relaxing time but did not really feel like good value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us although it was brief. We constantly review feedback and adjust our services accordingly, please, be assured that your review has been discussed with the team
We take great pride in working as a team and we take both praise and criticism graciously. Thank you for your review of our Hotel. Regards Debbie Priestley General Manager
England
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Heythrop Park for our friends wedding in March 2012 and were pleased we chose it over the rooms in the original part of the house as it was very clean & modern inside.

The shower was also very good & powerful and the bed confortable, but the only downside was the size of the rooms which were somewhat on the small side.

Breakfast was also good & served in a restaurant overlooking the grounds of Heythrop Park.

The building on the outside is also a bit modernistic for our liking (it was basically a large concrete block not particularly in keeping with the old part of the house that it is adjoined to), but that doesn't stop it being a good hotel.

Overall a decent hotel, but we did feel that the price of the rooms was a little over the top for the size of them when comparing it to other places we have stayed for less money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This review is slightly odd in that I will start by saying that even before arriving at the hotel, I was close to writing a letter of complaint and even cancelling mine and my husband's overnight break. I had been trying to get through to the spa to book a treatment for 3 days, with the phone constantly ringing and nobody ever answering. When I did finally get through on day 4, I was told that there was no availability on my requested day. I was not happy, given that i probably wouldn't have had this problem had I got through first time 4 days earlier. I spoke with the spa manager who then said she would bring an extra member of staff in so problem solved. However, I never received my confirmation email and on trying to get through to confirm my treatment was definitely booked, we were back to the old issue of nobody answering the phone! After expressing my annoyance to the front of house manager at the hotel (Louise Bird) and stating that I was reluctant to even go ahead with our booking due to a really bad first impression, I have to say that she saved the day. It was refreshing to speak to someone who had such a customer focus rather than defending the misgivings of the spa. She instantly put my mind at rest that I shouldn't be put off and very kindly offered us a room upgrade to a junior suite.

So fastforward to our actual stay-my husband and I were incredibly impressed with this hotel. We have quite a close relationship with the Crowne Plaza in Marlow having got married there and holding various functions and social events there in the years since, and we feel that Marlow could learn a thing or two from Heythrop Park.

From the moment that we arrived all of the staff, from reception to the waiting staff in the snug bar, brassey bar, and brassey restaurant were amazing. They were very attentive, friendly and welcoming with nothing being too much trouble. It may be a little un-PC to say this but it was also nice to find that most of the staff were English, unusual these days in the hospitality industry.

The room was fabulous-very much to our taste anyway. Clean, modern, simple but with everything that you need. Perhaps my only wish would be for free wi-if to be available in rooms as well as the lobby. The bed was very comfy, in fact we both slept very well. Again the bathroom was clean, modern and very spacious. We very much appreciated our complimentary upgrade.

The food was tasty, well presented and plentiful-I loved the decor in the Brassey Restaurant and enjoyed a few cocktails in the Brassey bar. I thought the bar prices for food were quite reasonable but the restaurant was a little on the pricey side.

On arriving at the spa, I could instantly see the problem and why the phone just rings endlessly. There was one poor young, blonde guy who was manning reception, dealing with the pro shop and serving in the spa bar area!! He was frantically checking people in for treatments, handing out towels, dealing with golf enquiries and running to and from the bar-with the phone ringing away in the background. They desperately need at least one other member of staff, actually there was someone (looked like he may be a golf pro) but he seemed to be wandering around not doing much of anything. The pool is nice but seriously cold, ok once you got going though. There's a lovely steam room and sauna, nice, clean changing rooms and a small but well equipped gym. My facial was lovely, in a nice treatment room with a good therapist.

So, all in-we had a great time here and will definitely return. I'm planning on booking a break for my parents as they will enjoy playing golf here and would consider even doing. Couple of nights with our young children as I'm sure I saw a pay area and they would love running about in the grounds. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHeythrop, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Please except my apologies regarding the issues that you experienced trying to book a spa treatment, I am so glad that our FOH Manager saved the day. The hotel is in a traditional 18th century mansion house and has extensive leisure facilities including an 18 hole championship golf course. The stunning course meanders through ancient woodland, lakes and streams and the design echoes the original landscape plan drawn up in 1706 with its historical bridges and monuments Our team work very hard to ensure that guest enjoy every aspect of their stay. so I would like to say thank you for your positive comments and a huge thank you from all the team at Heythrop Park Resort. We treat guest satisfaction as our number one priority and even when events outside our control (yes we do need more staff, and we are addressing the issue) have a negative impact on your experience we do what we can to put it right. And I am so glad that we could. Various amenities are provided for keeping the family entertained during their stay with us, such as…. a swimming pool, also there is a spa sauna and steam room and other health club facilities,a children’s room with a pool table and other games to keep them entranced, and when the weather is fine there is an outdoor play area. We look forward to seeing you and your family in the future. Regards Debbie Priestley General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chipping Norton
#1 of 1 in North Leigh
Old Swan & Minster Mill
Old Swan & Minster Mill
#1 of 1 in Minster Lovell

Been to Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford? Share your experiences!