“Simply delicious”

Wild Thyme Restaurant and Rooms
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Exciting modern and contemporary seasonal British food and relaxed friendly service complemented by three stylish double rooms.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I ate at Wild Thyme on Good Friday evening. it was fantastic food and very reasonably priced. We are not from the local area but would head back anytime to eat here.
We loved the chef popping out to tell us about the cheese's on the cheese board, very nice touch. Friendly staff and a lovely atomsphere.

1  Thank DanielleJ952

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We called in for a light lunch on a cold Easter Saturday, and enjoyed a faultless unhurried meal. the smoked haddock main course was the best we have ever had, and the apple and ginger desert visually stunning and tasted exquisite.
We will be back.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I visited to celebrate a new job with family members after hearing wonderful reports about the restaurant. Frankly it was exerlent. Cozy, classy and understated. The service was attentive but not intrusive, the wine more than acceptable and the food quite simply outstanding.
I would highly recommend it, but not to to many people so I can get a table in the future.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Staying in a hotel locally and looking for something more than hotel food, Wild Thyme was recommended enthusiastically by reception, the bar staff, the service manager, and then the taxi driver. You get the picture - was it being set up for a fall?

No. It certainly was not.

Arrived, welcomed warmly and offered a choice of tables. It was quite quite, and chose one with a bit of space. Water, some olives and menus offered in a polite and friendly way. Selected a nice wine and ordered from what some might think limited menu - but it ALL looked inviting.

Starter of wood pigeon breast was presented well and - most importantly - tasted as good as it looked. At this point we sat up. Mains of rabbit and turbot were just outstanding, and there is no doubt in my mind that the other options would have been as good. Just when we thought it had peaked, desserts arrived. Chocolate parfait done very well and presented exceptionally.

During the meal we talked about the food and how it was presented and how much it was enjoyed. Based on our experiences, the food in Wild Thyme held its own to that offered by both The Kitchin and possibly Andrew Fairlie. And then we found out the head chef was out! If this is what the "understudies" can do (no insult intended), how good is the "man"? No pressure, but we intend to find out. Soon.

Recommendation? Go there.

1  Thank Robert D
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Really was looking forward to a visit, but left a little cold.

Service was friendly, decor was nice - wine was very good as were prices.

But!

I'm sorry but allowing a curdled creme brulee to leave the kitchen is not good - and it was disappointing to see the waitress look annoyed/surprised rather than sort it out/apologise or offer an alternative. We didn't ask for it to be removed from the bill, but maybe thought it might have been - it wasn't and I'm not arguing that point, but the right impression could have been made, and this was a missed opportunity.

The rest of the food was ok with no faults, and a great goats cheese souffle starter.

Always disappoints to write an average :(

4  Thank MuffinManMatty
Sallydaniel, Owner at Wild Thyme Restaurant and Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Firstly thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent meal at Wild Thyme. Secondly, I am truly sorry that we served a creme brulee to you that was not right. On investigation, it seems that a small batch were cooked at too high a temperature and hence the problem.
As an owner managed busines, I am usually running front of house but I am currently taking a short period of maternity leave having just given birth. As such my team are looking after things and whilst we have covered how to manage issues such as yours, I am sorry to say that your complaint was not dealt with in the way in which Nick and I would have liked. Issues like this are very rare for us and so the team do not get many opportunities to handle complaints It seems that the waitress looking after you that evening underestimated things. As part of a trio of dessertsand with most of the dish eaten, she did not feel it appropriate to offer an alternative dessert although clearly, as a minimum, you should not have been charged for the dessert.
I should be happy to refund this if you want to contact me with your card details or alternatively, I very much hope you will visit again and make yourself known to me at the time of booking so that I can make a concession on your next bill.
We very much hate dissappointing any guest and aim to exceed expectations, so once again I am sorry that on this ocassion we fell sort. Regards Sally