“Not bad”

The Lamb Inn Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 39 Restaurants in Burford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Our 2 AA rosette cotswolds restaurant is located on a quaint side street in the heart of Burford, famed for its sheep fairs of times gone by when our historic hotel, was once a collection of weavers cottages. This history teamed with our outstanding food and friendly service makes for a great location for lunch or dinner in Burford - indulge in seasonal plates of food that celebrate the fantastic flavours of our local ingredients whilst relaxing in an ambiance that is both intimate and homely. On Sundays, join us with family and friends for a traditional Sunday lunch, nothing fussy, just good food done really well.
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The Baytree hotel next door was closed all day for a function so The Lamb might have been overworked when we came for lunch. Empty when we arrived at the bar at Noon; by 12,30 there were queues. We were never offered the Restaurant menu (others were later on) but only offered the Blackboard and bar menus. My wife's egg dish was fine but my Fish Cakes (for £11.95?) were nice and crispy but mainly potato -I could not identify the 'Cod and Prawn'. On exploring after the meal we came across the almost empty restaurant which looks lovely. I am aware this looks worse in writing than it was -the Trip Advisor paradox - yes?
The hotel, ambience and everything else looks very nice indeed.

Bill R, General Manager at The Lamb Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that your fishcake lacked fish. This is clearly a mistake in preparation. Ironically, our fishcakes are consistently lauded for containing so much fish. Other than this I am pleased that you had a nice experience with us.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Beautiful sea bass and fillet steak - perfectly cooked. There was fresh baked bread, an amuse bouche and pre pudding included as well as the 3 course meal which all added to a great evening

Bill R, Manager at The Lamb Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Thank you for your applause. You have highlighted two dishes our Chef is very proud of and it is nice to receive compliments on the little extras we take time to provide. I hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Went for lunch, walked in the restaurant and there was a couple with dog barking so we decided to eat round other side by bar. Ordered food, then a family of 6 came in with dog and sat nearby. We moved further away but our time there was ruined by dog lapping water, and chasing bowl round floor noisily. If hotel are going to let dogs in they should only be allowed in one side. Unhygienic, smelly and not everyone likes dogs when they come to eat! Very disappointed.

Bill R, General Manager at The Lamb Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

I am sorry that your visit was spoiled by dogs. We do operate with a dog friendly policy in our bar and lounge and as a staff we police to ensure that dogs are on leads, on the ground and well-behaved. There are four areas within our bar/lounge and it is a shame that you could not find a table further away from dogs than you did.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Had to book for 1215 hrs on a Sunday as they said they were busy. Turned up and saw an empty restaurant. It did fill slightly later and they did have a private function on, so live and let live.
Food was good. Terrine starter of ham hock needed seasoning and lacked punch.
My wife had local lamb for her main course and I had hake. Both good.
Pudding was nice.
All in all, service, food, restaurant and surroundings were nice and I would return.

I always appreciate feedback in a positive or negative fashion. Therefore I am pleased you enjoyed our restaurant and will return and hope that we can tick the final few boxes to further impress. Thank you.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Spacious but cosy and beautiful restaurant with very good food and service. Can be a little on the cool side in Winter. Lovely stone floors, mullioned windows etc.

Excellent is such a strong descriptive that I am always buoyed by its use in reviews. Thank you for your wonderful feedback