“Sunday lunch - could try harder”

The Angel at Burford
Reserve with OpenTable
The Angel at Burford is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 37 Restaurants in Burford
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Angel at Burford is an award winning Gastro Pub located in the beautiful Cotswold town of Burford. We are Hook Norton's Food Pub of the Year in 2015, and hold an AA Rosette.
London, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch - could try harder”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Took the good value Sunday Roast lunch offer - £16.95 for two courses.
The main, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, the Yorkshire pudding was COLD in the middle! I complained that it could not be fresh, and I was told that it was freshly cooked - that morning!
They don't seem to know that it doesn't work that way with Y.P.
It just has to be freshly made an served immediately. The subsequent YP was warm in the middle but just as tough and unappetising.
The same goes for the roast potatoes and parsnips: cooked earlier, warmed up. Just very poor work really.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank thescapula

Carterton, United Kingdom
“Cold food on a cold day...”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Three of us went here tonight for dinner on recommendation from the manageress of the hotel we were staying in. Looking forward to a lovely meal, two of us were disappointingly served cold steak with a jug of cold sauce. I returned mine to the kitchen and it was returned some time later (and after the rest of the table had finished eating) still only Luke warm. Cold fillet steak on wilted salad leaves with a 1" square display of dauphinois potatoes for £20, hmmm. Ok. Maybe desert will leave us smiling? After a 40 minute wait (because they had a table of 8 in and desert would take some time) for simply 1 Ice Cream and 1 Christmas Pudding (which was also presented with cold brandy sauce by the way) we left paying £77 for 3 main courses and table water. Sorry "The Angel" hugely disappointing.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank KDT999
Gemma F, Owner at The Angel at Burford, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
We are really sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your meal here, and I have spoken in length to both Terence and the staff who were working on the night. They remember your visit well, and we are so disappointed you did not say something at the end of the night, when you were asked if everything was OK (and indeed said you loved the dessert), as then we could have had a chance to rectify the situation.

When you sent your steak back, we actually cooked totally new steaks for you (otherwise the dish would have been ruined by re-heating). You had Medium-Well Done steaks, so once you include cooking times, and resting the meat of course there will be a wait. Upon speaking to the staff on that night, I understand that they explained a large table was in and you weren't sure if you wanted desserts. You then changed your mind, by which time the main courses for the large table were being plated (we are a small kitchen so do not have a brigade of chefs) - this was explained to you, and you said you were happy to wait. We also detail times on the orders as they go into the kitchen, and my records show you waited 20 minutes for your desserts (which included a hot dessert).

Of the party of 8 in on that evening, 5 of them had the steak, and all loved it! At £20, our steak is also still one of the cheapest in Burford, and the best quality!

I would welcome you back to try our food again, and hope you will find it to your liking.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Go to Burford”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I met with friends at a restaurant bar in Burford just off the main high street. It was a great choice The log fire and warm welcome made us feel at home and with local beers , varied wine list and some local characters this place hums. The restaurant side is just enough away from the bar to enjoy your meal in your own space.

First surprise was the free bar snacks that are evidently a feature of early Friday nights . The chef tries his dishes out on all that come. For us it acted as a starter and all Free!!

The meal that followed was excellent value and enjoyed by all. The menu is varied enough and service is spot on.

Terence and Gemma told us they had nearly completed their first year at The Angel . My advice to anyone planning to visit Burford is to just wander of the main high street for something a bit special .

Rob, Gloucestershire.

• Visited November 2012
England
“Nice enough but 6 chips?”
Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

We were having a 3 night break in Burford and decided to have dinner at the Angel on our last night there. It's a cosy little pub with a few seats by the fire and wooden tables in a dining area to the right. We have a small dog who was allowed in too. As I don't eat beef, pork or lamb the menu was a bit limited for me so the host let me have fish and chips off the lunchtime menu. Not sure why it isn't on the evening menu too. My husband ordered the pork belly and white beans. He ordered a side order of mustard mash as pork and beans didn't sound much. My meal was nice and tasty but I was surprised to only be given 6 hand cut chips stacked up in two's. They weren't even very large chips. How can you charge nealy £13 for fish, peas and 6 chips? My husband enjoyed his meal but when you are paying £16 for a piece of pork belly (a cheap cut of meat) and a few White beans I don't think you should have to pay £2 or £3 for a portion of mashed potato. My husband had a small slice of lemon tart with a scoop of vanilla ice cream which was £7. I know it isn't cheap these days to eat out but I still think even a pub in the Cotswolds should offer value for money and in my opinion our meal wasn't.

1 Thank amh59
Gemma F, Owner at The Angel at Burford, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your review, and I do actually remember your visit.

I always think it is helpful to clarify facts when people are not aware of the true cost and effort of producing a dish, which your comments suggest is the case.

Our fish and chips - the cost of fish has massively risen recently due to dwindling supplies, and we have freshly caught fish delivered every single day, if you pay for quality produce that has to reflect in the price of the dish. As for the six chips - the chips ARE large and in fact six equates to around a whole large white potato. I consider that to be more than ample. The peas, are not just cheap frozen unseasoned - they are minted peas, and again add to the quality of a dish. You also have a salad garnish, the exceptional beer batter on the fish and homemade tartare sauce. This may be a simple dish, but the extra touches are what makes it! The reason it is not on the evening menu is because in general our lunch and evening customers seem to want different things, but as you saw in your case, we are always willing to be flexible.

On to the Pork Belly - whereas you may think this is a cheap cut of meat, again this comes down to quality of produce and also the effort and skills required to cook it - a Pork Belly, if done properly is a labour intensive dish and it is not just the cut of meat you are paying for - it is the skills of your chef - otherwise why would we eat out at all?

At The Angel we will absolutely not compromise on quality, and the cost of produce continues to rise with depletion of fish stocks, rising costs of feeding livestock and crop shortages.

Could I produce cheaper dishes if I was happy to buy cheaper, imported, low quality produce - yes. Am I willing to do this? Absolutely not! And while we clarify costs, lets also remember that the government get 20% of the cost of your dish before we even make a penny! So on your £12.50 fish and chips, £2.50 went straight to the government....food for thought!
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Warm welcome and hot food”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Our visit to The Angel at Burford was our first but will not be our last. A roaring log fire, friendly atmosphere and personable staff are very evident as soon as you cross the threshold. Our Sunday lunch was very good and was served hot and without any undue delays. In all a very nice experience.

• Visited November 2012