“Great little B&B”

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Burford
London, United Kingdom
“Great little B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

Great little B&B, breakfast was really nice and the service was always good.

Our room and bathroom were very nicely decorated and clean. The bed was not the best I've ever slept in, but it was decent.

The room was a little on the cold side, because there was a ventilation window that wouldn't shut, and with it being Feb, the draught was a little chilly! Also, I really needed a full length mirror.

Parking was really convenient for me, as my room was one of the ones out back, so I was parked right outside. But it did get very crowded after I had parked, and if I had parked facing the other direction I would have struggled to pull out.

The pub serves the best food in this little village!

Overall, it was not a 5* experience, but we had a great few days here and for the price we paid, I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Staffordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed one night at The Golden Pheasant. Booked a room with a four poster bed - £125, bit expensive but ok was a Saturday ! No four posts but a bed with a canopy ! Told us it was the best room in the hotel. It was in the attic, nice and large however .... toilet pan was brown - made me feel sick ! windows were filthy, draughts coming through them and terrible road noise. Bed was the softest most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in. The room felt cold, dark and dirty.
Totally not worth the money and would definately not recommend.
On the plus - breakfast was ok.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank familymike

Travelers are raving about these Burford hotels

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

As what you would expect from a room for it's price. The parking is hit and miss, as there is only 6 spaces...we got one on the first day but had to park further up the residential road after. The room was on the lower rear, which was ok until later at night when we got renditions of 60's classic tunes from the dunkard clog wearers above. I can never listen to California Dreaming or even Barbie Girl in the same light ever again.
The hotel is as you would expect, nothing great but nothing bad. The service was good and amenities were exceptional.

Room Tip: Rear rooms are quiet if you get the top ones...park up the road for less stress!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed for 1 night at this Inn on the 19th December after reading good reviews of this place. We came here as it was near the location for a friends wedding and being a bridesmaid I had to be up early to get to the venue. Our room was really cold with the single pane windows and we tried turning on the radiator but to no avail.

Shower room looked brand new and clean. So I was hoping for a good shower in the morning to wake me up. It did wake me up for sure! I had a cold shower and the water barely warmed up (ran the tap for like 10 mins). The shower power was zilch more like a trickle. My partner finally got to have his shower equally frustrated, halfway through the warm water came through eventually.

We went down for our cooked breakfast which I have to say was really good and locally sourced. The service was warm and friendly. Our friends who also stayed here came down to say that their shower was not clean and had a load of hair blocking the plughole from the previous user which she took a photo of to show the manager. She told me the manager was not apologetic, but instead said "This is your lucky day I'll give you a £5 discount". (Our friends did not shower at the Inn and managed to ring ahead to have one at the wedding venue where we were all staying for the wedding night - The Old Swan & Minster Mill which was amazing).

As we were in a rush to get to the venue we forgot to mention about the cold shower during check out. I was quite disappointed at what could of potentially been a nice place to stay had they been more understanding and apologetic.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bashfullman, Owner at Golden Pheasant, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for the comments about your stay. As we explained to your friends on checkout, having an unclean shower is totally unacceptable. Had we known sooner we would have moved your friends to a different room, but there was very little we could do at checkout apart from apologise.
With regards to your shower, The Golden Pheasant is a very old building and the hot water does take time to reach some of the rooms. We were not able to address your concerns at the time of your stay because as you stated you didn't mention anything when checking out.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in at the golden pheasant for a pub lunch after visting the cotswold wildlife park. Lovely food, great atmosphere and cosy surroundings. Highly recommend the chicken club sandwich and the reuben sandwich. They were lush!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

We too stayed here on an Amazon deal, so two nights with breakfast and dinner on the first night.

Having also read the reviews I can say the only issue is if you have a room at the front of the hotel, I think there are only two so if it's full chances are you may get one. The road noise is bad and it goes on all through from very early morning. It's not the hotels fault, for some reason HGV's use this route!

The hotel is in the middle of Burford and has a small car park at the rear, however you need to ask to find it! If you are late arriving you won't get in but there is free parking on the road at the front of the hotel.

The room was adequate and basically for the price we paid I can't complain. Evening meal was also good, we did pay extra to have the steak and a different bottle of wine to the one supplied on the Amazon deal.
Full English Breakfast was really good, all served to you with fresh coffee and toast, plus there are cereals etc there if you want them.
Great staff, very friendly including all the staff in the kitchen who we would bump into while outside.

All in all good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TwitterEngland
Warwick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Having read previous reviews, we feared the worst before arriving for our "Amazon Local" deal but the overall value was superb and we were made to feel very welcome rather than being treated as second class citizens which is so often the case for special offers such as this. Our room was at the rear of the hotel and nicely quiet. I would advise anyone staying in Burford High Street to seek a room at the back of their hotel. There is a lot of traffic noise at the front but this is not exclusive to the Golden Pheasant Inn. We ate in the restaurant on both nights and the quality and choice of meals were very good. All of the staff were helpful and friendly. Our room was basically furnished but pleasant enough for a 2-night stay. The central heating was erratic but we had hot water when we needed it and the room was well serviced. The on-site car park was enormously valuable!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have less traffic noise as is the case with all Burford inns, hotels etc that flan...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple