“Was ok for a night. There are far nicer places in and around Burford.”
Review of Golden Pheasant

Golden Pheasant
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The hotel/b&b was really average. Nothing stood out as being terrible, and nothing stood out as being terrific. I stayed here for work and got it paid for but if I'd been on holiday and paid for it myself I would have been quite disappointed. The rooms (or at least the one I was in) and the hallway upstairs leading to the room needed renovating and a new carpet. It was very dated but not in a quirky rustic way. It didn't appear possible to be able to open the windows and the room got very hot. A fan in their would have been good. Food was nothing to write home about. Service was ok, but could have been friendlier I thought. I got back to the hotel after the bar was closed and had to walk all the way round the back in the dark to get in. It would have been nice if I was warned of this when checking in.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank kathomso

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Had a great stay at lovely Burford and managed to do some walking in the beautiful surrounding area despite the weather ! (rain but some sunshine)
Very friendly pub with nice rooms (we had a four poster) centrally located with great beer and tasty good value food. Many thanks to Spencer who is the manager and chef and Andrew, the new owner who is in the process of refreshing the bar area and the rooms. We had been before and noticed a great improvement this time.
Great place for a stay in the historic Cotswolds

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovablecockneys
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This hotel is full of Cotswold charm with a price tag to match. The carpark is too small, the rooms were small and I could hear every word the man in the next room was saying on his 'phone, during the evening it was very noisy being situated above the main bar and at the front of the hotel overlooking the busy high street. The breakfast started at 8 and was average, served by a grumpy member of staff who looked completly disinterested. On the plus side, Burford is a lovely town with a number of great pubs, most of which provide food.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Martin G
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed for a saturday night at this hotel, booking was made last minute. I went with my husband we stayed in a large four poster bedroom at the top of the hotel.
The manager was pleasent on our arrival, and showed us to the room.
I was shocked as some one had used the toilet and not pulled the chain, I noticed the room was not very clean, carpet was marked, and one of the pillows was very stained, not wanting to cause any trouble, did not mention it.
When we got ready to go out, there was no hot water, so my husband complained to the staff, afer 30 min we had hot water.
Did not sleep very well, and breakfast was not at all up to standard, my poached egg was raw, again I did report this to the staff.
On checking out we did have some money off the bill, but will never go there again. So sorry to have to report nothing but bad things about this hotel.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank bindy007
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thank you for your feed back on The Golden Pheasant, You will be pleased to know that we have replaced all linen, pillows and duvets in the hotel, I can only apologise about the issues with hot water and breakfast, We are currently doing all we can to improve every sector of the hotel.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Had a delicious meal, the staff are all very friendly and the beer was the best I had during my stay in Burford - the new owner (Andrew) seems very keen to be making changes and bringing the pub / B&B to the standard that it deserves

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My wife and I arrived on the 31st of May stood around at the desk! Spencer on the phone taking bookings. So I went to the Bar asked for someone to book us in the Owner seemed completely disinterested in our arrival!! Eventually someone appeared and took us up to the room!! Clean but wires everywhere! Naked bulbs in the bathroom!! This place needs to get organised.

No Breakfast Menue! No Fruit.The waitress was rushed off her feet and did not know where things where clearly not up to standard either regarding service.food and the so called calim to fame " The only place in Burford with Sky Sports attracts noisy teenagers well past bedtime!!

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Brian R
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Stayed for two nights - excellent location on high street but with very very limited car parking at the back. Staff are helpful and obviously still a bit 'wet behind the ears' but they are trying their best. Breakfast was plentiful but took absolutely ages to arrive;there was no marmalade available only jam and the orange juice tasted extremely odd.The room was incredibly hot due to the heatwave but there was no fan available and we were told the room would cool down later - it didn't!! and we hardly slept.Another couple actually went out and bought their own fan. On the second night we were awoken around 12:30ish by a group of very loud but not drunk youngsters in the courtyard - god knows what they were doing but they spent the next hour and a half going in and out of the building chat,chat, chatting ?? The place will greatly benefit from an upgrade as it is currently very tired and jaded, the beer is good, our evening meal was tasty but they need to up their standards as the competition in Burford is very high. Would consider returning next year when the staff are 'bedded in' and the place has been revamped.

Room Tip: It's an old building and retains it's heat so if the weather is likely to be hot, bring your...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple