“A proper unpretentious pub with accommodation” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #9 of 15 Burford B&B and Inns
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“A proper unpretentious pub with accommodation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

A decent down to earth pub in the rather chi-chi quaint Cotswolds town of Burford. My husband and I stayed here one night on a motorcycle touring holiday. Despite having booked a room in advance through their website, they had no record of our booking. Fortunately a room was available - comfy enough, rather than luxurious. Decent pub food - my husband and I both had excellent pies mid-afternoon, and came back down later for pudding, washed down by Wadworths beer. Quite a few dogs in the bar, some on the scrounge for any leftovers from our lunch - not a dog person myself, but I got the impression Burford is a "dog-person" town!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Eleanor C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
South of England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

We had an excellent meal at the Royal Oak last week. 3 of us had the steak and ale pie, 4th had the vegetarian, everything was very good, especially the chips which were crisp and fluffy at the same time and Irish was happy to pass on the 'secret' !

Pub is really unpretentious and down to earth, not the prettiest pub in Burford, but definitely the warmest welcome, best service, full of locals and opens late.

We did not stay here but I understand they now have rooms so we would definitely consider this for the future.

Oxfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Went to this delightful pub last night for a delicious meal, I'm a vegetarian and there's loads of choice, which makes a change to a lot of the stuffy pubs in the Cotswolds who get offended at the idea.
The food was very quick and we all left very satisfied.
Everyone in the bar seemed to be having a really nice time and the staff were so friendly.
There was however one annoying drunk woman who caused a scene, but she was promptly and politely asked to leave.
Overall I highly recommend the royal oak, if you're looking for a lovely pub, with a fantastic atmosphere with really good vegetarian options then the Royal Oak is for you.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

I was at The Royal Oak when Erica D visited and her outburst could quite easily have spoiled my evening having dinner with friends. This lady was rude and dismissive and I was very impressed with how Irish dealt with the situation - he was calm and showed courtesy to all the other people who were in the pub at the same time.

I had an excellent meal (and have eaten here numerous times - never to be disappointed!) I asked for a sweet rose and they served the perfect one. I have also had a glass of Prosecco and I would suggest that Erica D may actually have been drinking the vinegar as this was a delicious fruity and a crispy drink and as far from sour as you could possibly get!

I have never had a bad experience at this pub and always recommend the Royal Oak to friends and family and I always get fantastic reviews back! I would always recommend it to everyone and I suggest you take Erica D's comments with a large pinch of Salt!

Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Semisonic1985
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

We were visiting Burford last week and had dinner here on one of the nights. This is a small, cosy, dog friendly pub with a friendly welcome. There was a log fire going too. There is a very good menu with a lot of choice. I had the vegetable lasagne with salad and chips and my hubby had the beef chilli and rice. Both meals were delicious and of a decent size. We shared the fruit crumble and custard and were offered extra custard if we wanted it. The host is a very amiable chap and you almost feel like one of the regulars. Would definitely eat here again. It was the best meal we had in Burford.

Stayed November 2012
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

A very friendly, welcoming and homely pub with fresh and tasty homecooked food. A nice change from the over priced and stingey servings that you can get in some pubs in the local area! I will definitely be back. I would recommend this pub to couples and families.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank HezzWales
cambridge,england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

What better than a hearty lunch after a long walk on a sunny Sunday in October? My wife and I enjoyed an excellent traditional Sunday beef roast at the Royal Oak. Excellent, friendly and courteous service and a mountain of piping hot food. Couldn't fault it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple