“Ticks all the boxes - when can I come back?!”

The Bull at Burford
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Reviewed September 8, 2011

My partner and I stumbled across this gem accidentally last winter whilst staying elswhere in Burford. We called in one day last winter for lunch and were met with a roaring log-fire in reception that, combined with the snow outside, gave a real Harry Potter feel to the day! We chose to dine in the restaurant as it's rare these days to find what I call a 'proper restaurant' (white linen, silver cutlery etc) but with none of the pomp or pretence of some establishments, and extremely competitive prices. I confess I can't remember everything we ate, as it was a while ago, but I do remember being incredibly impressed. So much so, that as soon as we got home we took advantage of their dinner, bed and breakfast offer to book a mini break.

Well, we're just back from that and I'm happy to report that not only was the food still up to scratch (you must try the caramel experience - it's out of this world, and you can walk it off with a riverside stroll!), but the rest of the hotel also lives up to the same exacting standards. The staff were among the friendliest I have known, and I noticed that of the other guests some seemed to be returning visitors (always a good sign). I suppose it helps having a small-ish hotel, but the owners even remembered the names of guests, and nothing seemed too much trouble. The business is family run, and this personal service really shines through. We stayed in the 'Trafalgar' room and just loved the beams and fireplace. Yes the floor slopes, but don't let this put you off-it's a fanstastic feature and I'm so glad the owners have kept these things-let's face it-it's what we visit these old towns for! (plus, you can blame your swaying on the floor rather than the second bottle from the excellent wine list!).

I noticed that some reviewers have said car parking can be a problem in Burford. The Bull does have a small car park at the rear, which I don't think many places in the town do (although I might be wrong) but both times I have been to Burford I found parking easily in the town so didn't even know about the hotel car park until I read it on here! There is parking outside the shops on the hill, or a free public car park at the bottom of the hill (it all depends on whether you'd rather go to the shoe shop, or feed the ducks!).

Overall, a truely great find, especially for romantic winter getaways. Great food, fab rooms, exceptionally friendly service and a great setting - it ticks all the boxes for me!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rupert D
There are newer reviews for The Bull at Burford

Reviewed September 7, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at The Bull and ate in their restaurant. The accomodation was excellent, clean and very good value.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stopped here impromptuly and luckily they had a room available - we stayed in the Trafalgar room which delighted my husband as he is a great Nelson fan - Nelson stayed here in 1802 so they named one of the rooms after him.

The room was massive and beautifully decorated with relevant pictures of Nelson etc. The room was rather 'up and down' but they warn you about this beforehand - it's an old building and is bound to be like this. The bathroom was a very good size and very clean and well equipped.

The meal on Sunday night was of a very high standard, I only wish I could have done it more justice as I never made the sweet! Breakfast was excellent and was waiter/waitress served.

The staff were very friendly, helpful and a only too pleased to do anything they can for you.

We will certainly be heading back to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank GeorgeIII
Reviewed September 4, 2011

The Bull at Burford is not only a lovely hotel, it also has a wonderful restaurant,the place to eat when visiting the town. We have recently visited for the second time and once again we were not disappointed. The menu was excellent,; the food is wonderful and reasonably priced , it's not just for special occasions.
We found the staff to be both informed and helpful,which only added to a lovely evening.

1  Thank Sophia S
Reviewed August 25, 2011

The hotel is family run so service is friendly and efficient. Our room was in the roofspace so restricted space but this was compensated by great skyline and panoramic view and fire door offering private balcony in effect. Recently refurbished and spotlessly clean with good quality linens. Restaurant fabulous and the cost belies the "fine dining" experience - highly recommended even if you stay elsewhere! Location excellent, town has enough variety of shops etc and is a good base for travelling from. Parking restricted at rear of hotel, but we had no trouble, and a free car park at end of high street. Linda & John, Childwall, Liverpool

1  Thank LindaGL16
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I was due to attend a wedding near to Burford and thought I'd book a nice local Hotel with character instead of the Travel lodge. The Bull has a very good review on this website and I was looking forward to spending the night there after the Wedding.
When I arrived I found that the staff were very helpful and friendly just like the review mentioned. However when I went up to the room I could not believe the difference from what I expected from the reviews. The room was clean and tidy although it was very poorly equipped. This may sound petty but...
There were no hooks to hang up my suit or my girlfriends dress, there was no room for my suitcase and that had to rest on the floor. The staff had said that they are used to the hotel being used for weddings, why then did they not have a full length mirror in the room? or even a decent sized one. There was no power point for my girlfriend's hair dryer close to the small mirror and nowhere for her to do her make-up. The shower had no wall mount or curtain and I had to hold the shower head whilst she washed her hair. There was no iron in the room, although they did provide on on request. Furthermore the room we were in had an interconnecting door with another room which had no sound proofing and let the snores in from the occupant next door. The next morning there was no hot water from the shower for about 20 mins. The breakfast was nice, but really nothing to write home about, I would not have paid the advertised price of £14 and thought that it had been money well spent.
I am always keen to support local businesses and was looking forward to the staying and enjoying the history and character of the Bull, I am very sorry to report that apart from the service I was very disappointed with my stay.

2  Thank Thomas V
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Great hotel with an interesting history. Friendly staff. Lovely bedrooms,
most with four poster beds. Lovely sitting rooms, bar and dining room.
Lovely seated areas in front of and at side of hotel in a pretty courtyard.
Fab food. Had a superb evening meal and breakfast. Everything top quality and highly recommended!
Burford really pretty. Quieter and less commercialized than Bourton-on-the Water and Stow-on-the-Wold.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Lamb Inn
Travelodge Burford Cotswolds
The Bay Tree Hotel
The Bay Tree Hotel
#3 of 8 in Burford

Been to The Bull at Burford? Share your experiences!