“weekend break”

Ranked #3 of 15 Burford B&B and Inns
london
“weekend break”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Hook Norton beer well kept, restaurant food very good,breakfast first class, bedroom a bit scruffy but a comfy bed. Staff relaxed and helpful,if you stay overnight room three would be preferable to room two

Room Tip: ask for room three
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gemma F, Manager at The Angel at Burford, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. I can indeed confirm that ongoing refurbishments are part of our plan for the rooms, so every time people come back they should see pleasant changes!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We have just returned from a two night break at The Angel. It is absolutely delightful. My husband and I were re-acquainting my sister-in-law with the Cotswolds as she lives in South Africa and hasn't visited this area for many years. The beds are very comfortable with crisp cotton sheets, and all is very charming and quaint. We decided we would have dinner here the first night and then perhaps have a look around Burford the second night to find somewhere different. However, the weather was drizzly - we had a quick look and then decided we could do no better than to stay put. The food is good and the service impeccable. We were obviously served by the same charming Irish lady previously mentioned! The breakfasts are generous and leisurely, served by another lady who again, is very helpful. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We had rooms overlooking the street, but as the street is fairly quiet this is no problem.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Amersham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife and I did not stay here, only had dinner. It is around two years since we last came here and were delighted to find the owning brewery have changed the management. A friendly welcome and all waiting staff were very attentive and friendly.We had a drink whilst perusing the menu in the bar area. Its a lovely area with a big old fireplace. A reasonable menu all freshly cooked and very well too. Although portions were on the small side,as was also mentioned by other diners at a nearby table. But there is no doubt very good. We shall be eating here again and hope they serve sensible size portions. It is not a large restaurant so book early.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from The Angel having enjoyed a lovely meal with our son and daughter. Food was lovely, host very attentive.roaring log fire. This booking was made after a recommendation from a client, glad we took his advice, we will be back.

• Stayed April 2013
warwick
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Firstly the Royal and the Bull that are either side of of the Angel are not very nice. Royal looked very basic and the Bull smelt and looked like a nursing home. We arrived at the Angel which doesn't have parking but thats not a bother as plenty of free side street parking very close by. And we was shown to the Madras suite. Lovely comfy soft bed, bathroom with shower, hairdryer in the drawers, tea and coffee making facilitys. Freeview tv with dvd player on the wall. Lovely and especially liked the long cords either side of the bed that turned the bedside lamps on/off. You can hear the restaurant below you but it's not noisy and didn't effect us. The owner is really lovely and friendly. We took the deal of an evening meal in with our stay so we booked in for 7pm and went down to the bar for a drink which was put on a tab for us to pay before we left the next day. Which was nice. A lovely Irish lady served us all night behind the bar and we cannot recommend this place enough even if it was just based on her. She was so friendly and just really lovely! The owner wants to make sure he keeps hold of her :-) We sat down to eat after ordering the soup of the day and the beef starter off the set menu. Both absolutely superb and wonderfully cooked. Mains we had the Plaice which was so beautiful and the sirloin steak which was out of this world. We would drive back down to Burford just for this steak! Compliments to the chef who is only a young chap, you are doing a marvellous job! We eat out at restaurants quite oftenbut this was by far the best meal we've had in a long while. Then after dinner we walked down the high street and had a drink in the Mermaid but the log fire started smoking the pub out so we left and just went back to the Angel as there really isn't anywhere as nice! We curled up on their sofa in front of the log fire in the bar and enjoyed a bottle of wine. We didn't want to move again after that. We throughley enjoyed our stay. Would love to go again. And I am sure we will be back again. Bravo to the Angel at Burford.

Room Tip: Madras suite is beautiful and spacious
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Burford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Restaurant visit only :- Dined here on a Sunday evening as most other restaurants in the area serve Sunday lunch only. The owner was on hand as we arrived and attended to our every need. Although early April the fire was roaring in the main bar area and the atmosphere was inviting. Orders were taken after a lengthy description of specials and ingredients from local suppliers. The main special was the Hook Norton competition entry main course. I selected this as a main and it was excellent. The presentation and quality of ingredients were second to none. There was no presssure to drink from the wine list as the main bar drinks were to hand. The decor is traditional but a white wash to walls make for a bright dining expereince compared to some darker establishments.
Could not fault the extensive menu both al a carte or reasonably priced set menu. Overall a pleasant surprise and dramatic improvement since being taken over last year. Will be back soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GIUHEL
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have not eaten here, nor have I stayed over therefore cannot comment on this. However, what I can comment on is poor customer service!!!

I had visited this pub with the idea of holding a Christening party. I was originally told that the owner would call me, which she did. I wanted to discuss options of food and our budget to accommodate this. I was told she would need to speak with the chef and that they would get back to me either that night or more likely the following morning (Thurs 28th/ Fri 29th March 2013). By Friday afternoon, I had not heard back so called them. The response was "we haven't forgotten about you, just haven't had time to look into yet" This in itself isn't a problem but a call to tell me that would have been nice. I was then told I would hear the next day. This would have been Saturday 30th March 2013. By Monday 1st April I started to feel let down as still no phone call. I decided to call one last time (perhaps they had lost my number??) Instead I was told they had been busy with the Bank Holidays (again if this was the case fine, but why promise to phone? instead why not give me a courtesy call to say that they had been busy and had not got around to looking into it! Anyway, this time I was told she would speak with the chef that evening and would definitely call me tomorrow (Tuesday 2nd April 2013) Guess what.....still no call. Its now Wednesday and I have lost faith with this. Very disappointed. The venue itself is beautiful, I am gutted to have to write this review as looking at others, this seems to be a one off. All I can assume is that our budget wasn't big enough, and that maybe by ignoring me they hope I'll give up phoning....which I now have!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kin250
Gemma F, Manager at The Angel at Burford, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
What a disappointment to come across your review - especially given by your own admission you have never eaten or stayed here!

Thankfully, it has given me the opportunity to investigate thoroughly the events surrounding your disatisfaction and the chance to put across the correct version of events in order for people to draw their own conclusions about the service and experience you can expect at The Angel.

When you called to make your original enquiry, I was indeed out, I promptly called you back on my return and took your details. Your requirements were for a buffet for a christening. Rather than our usual food, your requirements were for 'pizza and plates of chips' for people to snack on. As this is a big departure from our normal food remit, understandably I needed time to go away and cost a package for you (particularly as the number of your guests would entail exclusive use of our entire venue on a Sunday afternoon in summer). I explained all of this to you. The bank holiday weekend then followed (a very busy time for us - taken up fully with service, we are a small team - we do not have a seperate office team to deal exclusively with functions), when you called me on bank holiday monday, I explained why your package had not yet been costed but that I would get back to you.
Due to unforseen circumstances, I was not in the office the remainder of that week, but left your number with a member of staff to pass on this message so you were not waiting for a call. On three separate occasions they tried to call you, but had no answer - you only gave a landline number, so we could not try a mobile. On my return I called you immediately, to give you pricing - you then informed me you had already made a booking elsewhere.

It may be of interest to others to note that we have just been awarded 4 stars by the AA - judged on standard of accommodation and customer service (critera spanning around 50 A4 pages of typing, so a very thorough inspection!) - I would hope this provides a more accurate reflection of what people can expect here.