“Fabulous food, attentive host.”

The Angel at Burford
Ranked #3 of 15 Burford B&B and Inns
Burford, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food, attentive host.”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Restaurant visit only :- Dined here on a Sunday evening as most other restaurants in the area serve Sunday lunch only. The owner was on hand as we arrived and attended to our every need. Although early April the fire was roaring in the main bar area and the atmosphere was inviting. Orders were taken after a lengthy description of specials and ingredients from local suppliers. The main special was the Hook Norton competition entry main course. I selected this as a main and it was excellent. The presentation and quality of ingredients were second to none. There was no presssure to drink from the wine list as the main bar drinks were to hand. The decor is traditional but a white wash to walls make for a bright dining expereince compared to some darker establishments.
Could not fault the extensive menu both al a carte or reasonably priced set menu. Overall a pleasant surprise and dramatic improvement since being taken over last year. Will be back soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GIUHEL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have not eaten here, nor have I stayed over therefore cannot comment on this. However, what I can comment on is poor customer service!!!

I had visited this pub with the idea of holding a Christening party. I was originally told that the owner would call me, which she did. I wanted to discuss options of food and our budget to accommodate this. I was told she would need to speak with the chef and that they would get back to me either that night or more likely the following morning (Thurs 28th/ Fri 29th March 2013). By Friday afternoon, I had not heard back so called them. The response was "we haven't forgotten about you, just haven't had time to look into yet" This in itself isn't a problem but a call to tell me that would have been nice. I was then told I would hear the next day. This would have been Saturday 30th March 2013. By Monday 1st April I started to feel let down as still no phone call. I decided to call one last time (perhaps they had lost my number??) Instead I was told they had been busy with the Bank Holidays (again if this was the case fine, but why promise to phone? instead why not give me a courtesy call to say that they had been busy and had not got around to looking into it! Anyway, this time I was told she would speak with the chef that evening and would definitely call me tomorrow (Tuesday 2nd April 2013) Guess what.....still no call. Its now Wednesday and I have lost faith with this. Very disappointed. The venue itself is beautiful, I am gutted to have to write this review as looking at others, this seems to be a one off. All I can assume is that our budget wasn't big enough, and that maybe by ignoring me they hope I'll give up phoning....which I now have!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kin250
Gemma F, Manager at The Angel at Burford, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
What a disappointment to come across your review - especially given by your own admission you have never eaten or stayed here!

Thankfully, it has given me the opportunity to investigate thoroughly the events surrounding your disatisfaction and the chance to put across the correct version of events in order for people to draw their own conclusions about the service and experience you can expect at The Angel.

When you called to make your original enquiry, I was indeed out, I promptly called you back on my return and took your details. Your requirements were for a buffet for a christening. Rather than our usual food, your requirements were for 'pizza and plates of chips' for people to snack on. As this is a big departure from our normal food remit, understandably I needed time to go away and cost a package for you (particularly as the number of your guests would entail exclusive use of our entire venue on a Sunday afternoon in summer). I explained all of this to you. The bank holiday weekend then followed (a very busy time for us - taken up fully with service, we are a small team - we do not have a seperate office team to deal exclusively with functions), when you called me on bank holiday monday, I explained why your package had not yet been costed but that I would get back to you.
Due to unforseen circumstances, I was not in the office the remainder of that week, but left your number with a member of staff to pass on this message so you were not waiting for a call. On three separate occasions they tried to call you, but had no answer - you only gave a landline number, so we could not try a mobile. On my return I called you immediately, to give you pricing - you then informed me you had already made a booking elsewhere.

It may be of interest to others to note that we have just been awarded 4 stars by the AA - judged on standard of accommodation and customer service (critera spanning around 50 A4 pages of typing, so a very thorough inspection!) - I would hope this provides a more accurate reflection of what people can expect here.
Hull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Four of us spent a lovely cosy weekend in Burford, at The Angel. Chilly outside and very wet, but a warm welcome, with excellent food and accommodation. Highly recommended!
Hope we can return one day soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a Saturday night, as a special birthday treat. The overall experience was disappointing. I was aware it was essentially a pub with rooms but it was the worst nights sleep in any place we've ever stayed in. We were given the double room over the bar. We could hear every conversation in the bar below until the early hours of the morning. Maybe the other rooms are quieter and we drew the short straw but at £100/night I would not recommend to stay here.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roundtheworld66
Gemma F, Owner at The Angel at Burford, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Really sorry to hear this, and yes - we do have quieter rooms not over the bar which we always give if someone requests such.

I would however, welcome to hear from you and know which weekend you stayed, as it would be an extreme rareity that there is anyone even in the bar past 11pm. We are in general not a late pub, and the only people using the bar late will be our residents, and we always insist on quietness out of respect for our residents. We also always enquire after people at breakfast in the morning, and certainly have no recollection of anyone mentioning any noise.

Hopefully like the majority of our guests you found everything else to your liking and we would welcome you back to stay in a quieter room!
london
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Every now and again you feel compelled to write a review- this is one of those occasions. My partner and I had dinner here Saturday night. The food was exceptional- if you are a vegetarian like myself, rest assured the chef has thought carefully about a good couple of options that are delicious and original. Meat eaters- you are in heaven! Our waitress was absolutely superb- lovely Irish lady who was warm welcoming and a real asset to this gorgeous little pub. Don't hesitate to get yourself a meal here !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed February 22, 2013

6 of us went here for lunch to escape the rain. Lovely open fire in the bar. Great food in the restaurant, beautifully presented. Wonderful waitress who was most helpful. Portions relatively small so room for the wonderful lemon tart. Would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We throughly enjoyed our stay at the Angel, the staff here were very kind and extremely welcoming. The rooms were clean, warm and cosy with beautiful en-suite facilities.
The breakfast was amazing and there was a wide variety of choice.
The hotel is set back from the main street, but there you can find lots of country pubs and restaurants.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple