“Delicious steak and ale”
Review of The Mermaid Inn

The Mermaid Inn
Ranked #14 of 40 Restaurants in Burford
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Have eaten here a few times and will continue to return when we visit burford.Very friendly, efficient staff good food at reasonable prices, pleasant gallery /upstairs seating

Reviewed August 19, 2014

We sat outside for a pint and a glass of wine. The picnic tables were fine, the exterior view of the inn is very attractive, and the baked brie that we ordered with our drinks was delicious. I would go back to this spot on the main street of Burford for people watching and a great cheese appetizer.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

We came here for a family birthday meal, it was really good, we all had a lovely meal, it has a really nice atmosphere and friendly staff, it is a bit pricer than some places but well worth it. Unfortunately we couldn't find any baby change facilities which was a shame, but that was the only negative, it was a really good meal

2  Thank Hastleon
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Me and my family went in here today as a last minute thing.. Being #8 on here we were expecting it to be okay. Firstly after 20 minutes of waiting for our order to be taken (which is funny as the pub was completely dead) we ordered the artizan bread to share. This was hard, it barely soaked up the oil and vinegar and there were 5 slices.. Which isn't really very shareable for a family of 4. Our mains were okay. My sister enjoyed the roast beef and the fish cakes were apparently nice. As a vegetarian I had limited choice and went for the veggie burger as I normally enjoy them everywhere I have been. The bun was so obviously cheap and defrosted that I didn't even eat it. It was true horrid. My father found the same with the baguette on his ploughmans. Secondly the 'burger' itself looks like it had been slapped into the bun along with the onion marmalade on one side and the cheese clumped together on the other. Both were falling out the side and the burger was crumbling. Not to mention the disgusting texture of the chickpeas which I would normally enjoy, they felt like stones in my burger. IVE HAD A BETTER VEGGIE BURGER IN WEATHERSPOONS!!! All out deserts were okay, we enjoyed the brownie and stick toffee.. The treacle tart is more like a sponge than a tart. But the summer pudding was DISGUSTING. The bread was ridiculously thick and due to about 5 cherries and 4 black currents being put on the interior it had almost no flavour. So it you enjoy soggy bread this is for you!

Service was bearable the girls were fairly slow, we were checked on within seconds by two different ladies which i personally find irritating when you're trying to eat. We are not people to complain so we just won't return and certainly won't be recommending.

AVOID!

2  Thank Yasminattar
099jacqueline, Owner at The Mermaid Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2014

I was dissappointed to read you review, I remember you well. it is completly exaggerated, Firstly it did not take 20 minuets for you to order your food, The Ciabbata bread you ordered is ment for two so i'm not surprised it wasn't enough for four
We have never had a complaint about our veggieburgers or the buns before in fact most people tell us how much they have enjoyed them, Summer pudding is in case you didn't realise a dessert made with bread soaked in fruit so of course the bread will be soggy it most certainly did not have currants in it, as you said you were checked back on while you were eating (twice i'm sorry this irritated you) but surley like most people you would have said there and then if their was a problem.as you said in your review the other members of you family enjoyed their meals, in fact on paying the bill your mother looked embarrassed by your behaviour she even left the waitresses a tip.I think that says it all (spoilt child springs to mind)

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Had several meals here over three days and was not disappointed once. Food was good and always well presented and hot, and the staff are friendly and attentive.

1  Thank Jim H