“Focus on service and atmosphere”
Review of The Lamb Inn

The Lamb Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Along with the other reviewers, the portions in the restaurant are slightly small, but to be honest I'd rather less food than huge portions that you can't eat and you know get wasted! If you eat a breakfast here, (the choice is fabulous and you can keep coming back for more) something out during the day and a fabulous Cotswold cream tea then a smaller meal would be welcome! There's even home made flapjack in your room! What I'd like to say is how friendly and welcoming the staff are. The general manager, a friendly Scot gave us a very welcoming précis of the place when we arrived and tea was waiting for us when we had put our bags in our room. It is cosy, quaint, absolutely archetypal English with many nice quirks and touches. The 'soap' that one reviewer mentions is Molton Brown and you can use as much of it as you like! It isn't cheap I agree, however it is worth it to be treated to the level of service and friendliness that is on offer. October 2012

Room Tip: No 8, Aconite at the front of the hotel is highly recommended..despite being on the road it's no...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChrisW1953
Bill R, General Manager at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Thank you for your review. We are honoured to receive your praise. As a team it is very encouraging when our dedication is noted so kindly. I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

This was our second stay at The Lamb Inn - the first was on our honeymoon over 30 years ago and returning was everything we hoped it would be.
The character of the Inn is still evident - wonderful log fires, homely, relaxing and the same beautiful flagstone floor in the entrance area.
The bedrooms we had (3 in total) all had their own unique character and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. On the whole the staff were friendly and efficient.
The breakfasts were great - good selection of hot and cold options.
We ate dinner in the restaurant one evening and would echo some of the previous reviews that suggest that the portion sizes are on the small side. The food itself is tasty but considering portion size, location etc I would suggest it is a tad overpriced.
We would certainly consider returning as this is a great location to stay when exploring the Cotswolds.

1  Thank JTZ
Reviewed October 29, 2012

After years of trying to get to The Lamb Inn, we managed it in October. The four of us had a great time. Log fire, real inn atmosphere, squeaky steps and beams all over, just enough space for my friend to fit into the shower. It was wonderful. Just what we had always dreamed it would be like.Don't expect state of the art hotel bedrooms, as they each have their own delightful character which all adds to the historical age of this inn. Don't pass by without spending an evening at the Lamb Inn. Savour the taste of yearsgone by.
gone by. The breakfast is very special as well.

Room Tip: I think any room wopuld be fine as they are all so different. Take a chance.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Bill R, General Manager at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I feel as you do about the Lamb Inn. It is a very easy place to fall in love with. I hope that now you have made the first step/visit that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We've recently returned from a one night midweek stay with our two dogs and had a great time.
We were advised to book the room called 'Rosie' as we had dogs and it has its own small garden which was ideal. The room is quite small for a superior but very clean with a huge, comfortable bed with a proper duvet - none of those shabby blankets you get in many places. Our dogs were warmly received with water and biscuits which was a nice touch.

We ate in the restaurant which was smart but empty apart from a few other couples staying.
The food was a good standard but beware small portions - I'd hoped that the 'fine dining' excuse had long since passed. Like the previous review my partner had the smoked haddock starter which comprised six miniscule cubes of smoked haddock with a crisp on top of each one - more like an amuse bouche really. His main was the fillet steak which was delicious, but again quite a small meal. He thought he'd fill himself up with the cheese to finish but again a platter arrived with extremely small slithers of cheeses - not enough to taste them really. A shame as had the portion sizes been more normal it would have been an extremely enjoyable meal. I had the langoustines with scallops to start, followed by the sea bass - both of which were very good, although again quite small, then a cheesecake which was delicious and a decent size. Breakfast was very good and there was enough of it.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay with nice food but certainly not good value at £39.50 for dinner.

1  Thank Marietta421

Thank for taking the time to feedback on your visit with us here at the lamb Inn. I am very pleased you had a great time and hopefully you will return to our Rosie bedroom again. It is scheduled for a refurbishment and garden resculpting in early 2013 so should be an even better prospect for you and your dogs to enjoy.

I am saddened that you felt portion sizes in our restaurant were small and hope this will not spoil your memory of your visit. Our goal in all areas of the hotel is to satisfy as requested. I monitor daily feedback in the restaurant and I am frequently told that the three courses is more than enough in quantity when supplimented with nibbles, amuse bouche and pre-dessert. I appreciate that this has not been the case with yourself and hope in the future you will give us the opportunity to provide a meal to suit. Our team will always attend as requested where possible.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed two nights at the Lamb Inn. The staff is charming and welcoming and the place itself is very picturesque and homely. being able to spend the evening near the log fire in one of the lounges was a definite bonuses. The room itself (Barn room) was fine if you can put up with the slanted floor which characterises many houses of that period but for the price there was a definite lack of attention of detail:
- No toilet brush (a bit tricky in some situations)
- Some light bulbs missing or dead
- An alarm clock which did not work and when plugged in showed times such as 29:95.
- Sidetables slanted with the floor at an angle of 20 degrees making it hard to even place a cup of tea upon them.
- A shower with so little power that it took ages to wash
- Constant reminders through labels and posters that if you take this and that from the room, you will get charged. Take the soap and it will cost you £17.50. If the hotel is so worried about guests taking sopa away (let's face it, its common practice), then it should provide smaller bottles that guests can take away. At £130 a night, it seems a bit mean.

The breakfast was excellent all around; however the restaurant for dinner is not really matching the awards it says it has. Some of the amuse bouches were absolutely tasteless and some of the dishes such as a the duo of fig wit foie gras focussed more on presentation than taste. If you serve me foie gras with a sandwich of parma ham, I can't actually spread the foie gras on anything and so I have no choice but to eat it with a fork mixed with a lot of fig which overpowers it. The foie gras was tasteless anyway. The restaurant basically tries to compete with the more modern haute cuisine establishments but struggles to do so.

The nicer dishes included the langoustines and the ham hock soup. The lamb was delicious too.

Service at the restaurant was also a little haphazard, mainly due to the fact that some of the staff's English is not that great. Example:
- Could we have some fizzy water please?
- Tap water, certainly Sir
- No, sorry, we wanted fizzy.
- Yes I understood Sir, I will bring some.
<waiter brings tap water>
- Sorry, we wanted FIZZY water, you know, with bubbles.
- Ah you meant sparkling...

Sausages ordered were missing at breakfast, etc...

So, overall an okay price but having spent nearly £250 per night once you include the room, the food and drinks, we felt a bit let down.

1  Thank OYP-London
Bill R, General Manager at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your stay at the Lamb Inn.

I find your report rather condemning and feel that my response must tackle a few of the issues you have raised.

The room, “Barn” you stayed in is exactly as you say. There is no beam straight, the floor is uneven and the door is cut as an uneven entry. This room is regarded as our most traditional room and is specifically requested by guests because of this. There is no toilet brush as an educated choice in that many guests feel it to be unhygienic. You noted high housekeeping standards as at least once per day our bathrooms are cleaned. I have checked the room today and the clock is fully operational, shower working and there are no lightbulbs missing. I apologise if there has been a lapse in housekeeping here but these are all issues I would have rather dealt with while you stayed with us giving me the opportunity to remedy and therefore improve your visit.

We offer 300ml Molton Brown as a luxury washing option to our guests in all bedrooms. There are four bottles which retail at over £15 per bottle. It is not mean to let guests know that there will be a charge for this if taken home and unrealistic to expect a hotel to part with £60 of toiletries for the £130 rate you quoted. This note is politely worded on half-postcard size, not a poster.

I am saddened that despite describing some of our restaurant dishes as, delicious, you have taken great offense to our amuse bouche and fig/foie gras starter. It is a shame that this has dropped us from “delicious” to “very average” in your eyes. It is a harsh fact of hotel and restaurant life that not everyone will enjoy every dish. Our Chef and team work hard to maintain our two AA rosettes and have received the awards we have through hard work and a will to continue improving. I have noted that you describe Le Gavroche’s two Michelin star offering has been described as “canteen food”. I am pleased that we have not drawn such poor critique.

Your waiter, Mario, remembers the confusion over the “fizzy” water. I struggle to see how this really impacted on your evening but I can assure you that Mario speaks English equal to most British nationals. I converse with him daily.

I can assure that the Lamb Inn is a hotel and restaurant which is constantly striving to move forward. This is something many recognize and appreciate. We have a team ethic of hard work and guest dedication that I am genuinely proud of personally oversee more days than not.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

If the sun is shining then head for the beautifully planted, secluded, walled garden. Perfect setting for a quintessential English afternoon tea - tiered cake stands of sandwiches, scones and cake.

In the absence of sun the bar is a characterful, cosy and inviting place to put the worlds to rights over a well-kept pint of real ale.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Katy R
Bill R, Manager at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for your kind review. At the Lamb Inn we are very proud of our garden and bar/lounge with open fires. I am very pleased you enjoyed the relaxed environment we try so hard to create. I hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

My partner and I stayed here recently on a dinner, bed and breakfast package.

The hotel is cosy, quaint and the sort of place you instantly feel relaxed in. Our (superior) room was large, beautifully furnished and clean. The bed was extremely comfortable with lovely bedding (no sweaty, synthetic nonsense!)

The homemade flapjack in the room is a nice touch, as is the Nespresso coffee machine.

My only slight gripe about the room was that the shower was useless as there was hardly any pressure and the water just sprayed in every direction other than straight down.

We have stayed in 2 other hotels owned by Cotswolds Inns and Hotels and this was definitely the nicest.

We ate in the restaurant which I felt was a let down, mainly as the portions were measly. My partner ordered smoked haddock as a starter and when it came it was 6 cubes of haddock, barely 1cm square. Although beautifully presented, it was more like an amuse bouche than a starter. We then both had fillet steak which I doubt weighed any more than 3oz and was very overcooked and dry. Maybe that's why they put flapjack in the room.....!?

Overall, a lovely hotel but I would recommend eating either in the bar or in one of the other resturants in Burford.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bill R, Manager at The Lamb Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind review following your visit to the Lamb Inn. It was lovely to hear that so many aspects of your stay were so enjoyable. I am, however very disappointed that you did not enjoy the food in our Restaurant.

We work hard to maintain our two rosettes from the AA and the restaurant has recently been awarded as the best in its category in Oxfordshire. With this said, I accept that the style will not suit all of our guests. I hope that you will visit us again soon and would like the opportunity to personally make sure that we find a dining experience for you to match the rest of your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 3 in Chipping Campden
White Hart Royal Hotel
White Hart Royal Hotel
#1 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh

Been to The Lamb Inn? Share your experiences!