“Food for thought”

Ranked #6 of 15 Burford B&B and Inns
UK
“Food for thought”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The food at the Inn for All Seasons was one of the main attractions during our stay and not to be missed. The only downer at the table was that salt and pepper were in largish bowls with no means of extracting it apart from with fingers. I did ask a waitress to bring me a spoon and she looked at me like I was mad, if you ever avoid eating peanuts from bowls at bars you will understand where I am coming from. I would take my own sachets next time. Also next time I would pay as I went along as had no means of verifying my hefty bar bill which was presented to me as a lump figure. I was made to feel bad when the owner was brought out claiming he was not out to con me, however he was only able to show me a random set of figures scribbled on a sheet of paper, some of which I could not identify. That said it would not put me off returning as they are avoidable negatives. The atmosphere in the pub was very good and the staff were friendly and helpful as much as they could be. Rooms a little tired but as I was on a groupon deal it was good value for money. Great place for a short break to explore the Cotswolds.

Room Tip: At the back of the Inn to minimise road traffic noise.
1 Thank Aunty_anita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Berkshire, England
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed here on a Groupon voucher so good value for B&B for 2 at £49. However, we didn’t consider it good value if you were paying the full price of £115. We arrived at around 5pm on a wet cold day and were met by a young lady who showed us to our room. Probably our fault, as we were too polite to say anything but the large black alsation was very persistent and determined to go upstairs and into our room. Room was OK, old building so sloped floors etc as you would expect. It felt very cold though and the secondary double glazing very inefficient against the cold air coming through the window and the traffic noise. The window catch for the blind was missing a screw so impossible to pull it up properly in the morning.

We didn’t sleep very well, the road noise was substantial but again, the pub is situated on a busy main road so to be expected. The pub was a few miles outside of Burford so not in a pretty location nearby to anything in walking distance. The room and bathroom was clean, plenty of toiletries and large fluffy towels but the shower was barely more than a drizzle, not the best.

We went to the bar before dinner, this is pleasant and had probably about 5 or 6 tables, most of which were occupied by people and dogs! We were a bit disappointed with the menu choices but went with the 3 courses to qualify for our free bottle of house wine which was very good. The food was good, no complaints there but again, I noticed that a party of six had their dog sat by their table in the restaurant. Not what I expect in a restaurant of this calibre. Also, probably a silly minor point but the salt and pepper is in little dishes with no spoon so you have to use your fingers, not great for hygiene.

Breakfast was fine, cooked to order but my scrambled eggs were too runny and I asked for them to be cooked more. I think they probably just strained them off as a plate was returned to me with less. I had expected the usual juice, yoghurt, fruit etc to be on a table to help yourself too but you had to ask if you wanted any of this. Again, the owners dogs, a large alsation and black Labrador were roaming freely around and one guest brought his dog into the restaurant to introduce it to other guests. I don’t dislike dogs but didn’t appreciate them being in areas were food was served.

Overall I would rate this about 3 out of 5 as we didn’t get the warm welcome others have mentioned nor did I think the whole atmosphere, ambience what we expected. Our bar bill for 4 drinks, one pint of doombar, one vodka & tonic, one baileys and one whisky was £22.80 which I thought was expensive as was the restaurant menu. No idea how it was broken down as the bill was just handwritten with a bar bill total.

I like to review places we stay and have tried to be as honest as possible and wouldn't normally go into so much detail but felt I couldn't give an accurate account of our stay if I hadn't done so. We have stayed in other places that have much better rooms, service and value for money so sorry we wouldn't return. Finally, noticed a large pile of dog poo by the front wheel or our car in the gravel carpark at the back, maybe down to other guests not picking up after their dogs but still not pleasant.

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back to reduce traffic noise
1 Thank EnglandBriAnn
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We have just had a great night at this lovely hotel. Every one we met was welcoming, the food was really tasty and well presented and the menu spoilt me for choice. The beer was excellent.
Breakfast choice was great and we will be going back.

Room Tip: Room one is at the back and like a small apartment
1 Thank Petepresto
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2013

If you're looking for a great place to relax with good food and great service this is the place for you. The hotel is situated in one of the most picturesque parts of England and is within easy reach of several market towns that are well worth a visit. The food was great; breakfast offers a huge choice including a full english, continental and various fish options. The dinner menu is seasonal; there's a different one each month with an additional range of fresh fish dishes. The wines, beers and ciders on offer were delicious - and we tried a few! Our room was warm, cosy and clean and we had everything we needed. The staff were really professional whilst remaining friendly and relaxed. I am sure we will be back to visit some more of the pretty towns and villages in the area and we will definitely stay at Inn for All Seasons.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with the four poster which was really comfortable and no noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Irene H
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Car trouble forced me to stop at the Inn for All Seasons. There was a warm welcome, a comfortable room and bed, lots of hot water in the spacious bathroom AND a water bowl for the dog. A truly delicious dinner, not to mention two sausages in a bowl for the dog. I could not have been a happier or cosier car trouble victim. In the morning I had the best breakfast I have ever had in a hotel or bed and breakfast. Good natural yoghurt with fruit compote, wholemeal toast and homemade marmalade whileother guests were having the full works: smoked haddock and poached egg or egg and bacon etc etc etc. And what lovely gardens and a path through the woods too...my dog was as even happier than I was. What a happy find.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank angela c
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I booked this as part of my husbands Xmas present. I just wanted something small and intimate with a great atmosphere,and this is exactly what we got. Matthew and Heather who own this are great,you are made to feel at home the moment you walk through the door. The food is excellent, if you go for the full works breakfast which my husband did you don't need anything until dinner. We was there for wednesday night which is pie night, I had the home made lamb and root veg,I wish I could make short crust pastry like that,and you need to try the homemade soups. My compliments to the chef. We did the mid week break and it is excellent value for money. I'm going to keep the details because I'm definitely going back for another stay.

Room Tip: We were given the four poster bed room and it is such a comfortable bed to sleep in
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sandra c
south molton
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Dave and Janet
Just spent 4 night new year break,we found everything was excellent cannot fault anything about stay. We were made welcome as soon we walked through the door and all the time we were there, the food was excellent as was the service and everything about our stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple