“Dog friendly”
Review of The Bay Tree Hotel

The Bay Tree Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Reviewed June 21, 2014

What a lovely hotel. Just up the road from the high street, with car park and lovely and quiet. It has a delightful garden with deck chairs for finishing off the last rays of the sun. You can sit out on the terrace for food from the bar menu.

We arrived around 1pm and while waiting for our room to be ready had a lovely lunch on the terrace leading down to the garden. The ploughmans included cheeses, ham and pork as well as two delicious home made chutneys. The chips were lovely too.

As we had a dog we had a garden room, which was very clean, light and airy, and looked out onto the garden. Comfortable king size bed. Although it was hot when we stayed the room wasn't hot as you could open double doors/windows, so we had a good nights sleep. Two comfortable chairs placed with a small table made looking out onto the garden very relaxing. The entry to the garden to take the dog onto the terrace is just a couple of yards away. The garden rooms also allows you to take the dog out without having to go through the hotel as direct access to car park etc.

Dogs are also allowed in the bar if the weather is too chilly to eat outside. They are just not allowed in the restaurant.

Fresh milk was provided upon request, with no delay. The selection of teas in the room very good and plentiful, as well as coffee, milk etc.

The food on the restaurant menu was not ordinary and if you were looking for simple steak etc you may be better eating at the lamb next door, although it looked hot in there as we took the dog for a walk past it. The food though was well cooked at the Bay Tree and I heard other diners say how delicious the food was too. The staff were very accommodating regarding the food as my husband can only eat certain foods. Desserts were also good selection.

Breakfast was wonderfully. We did need to be away prompt as we had a function to attend on the Saturday, but were served immediately with toast and tea and my full English breakfast order taken quickly. After eating the scrummy fruits and freshly squeezed juice a lovely hot breakfast was served. Cereal and freshly cooked pastries also available.

The road outside leads onto a country lane with path and grass sides, so makes a good short walk for the dog with poo bins close by.

All the staff were always very polite and helpful and a credit to the hotel.

We would stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Garden room
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 21, 2014

I was not staying at the hotel but a friend and I ate in the bar area of the hotel. The menu sounded interesting with a good choice of food. It was shame that the quality of the food was so disappointing. I think the kitchen was trying to be too clever but did not live up to expectations. I ordered pork loin which looked more like a pork chop with a large amount of fat and it was rather dry and tough. My friend ordered a fish pie with asparagus which was also very dry. I would not recommend the bar food in this hotel. The service was very friendly.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shirley565
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Having seen some previous reviews, we were slightly anxious about taking our 2 children (2 and4) to dinner. Happily our fears were unfounded. The staff were amazing with the children and really helpful and attentive. We really enjoyed our stay; beautiful location, comfortable rooms and good food. Without exception, we found the service to be excellent.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Emma074
Reviewed June 5, 2014

As an occasional visitor to Burford I always jump at the opportunity to stay at The Lamb next door. Unfortunately next door was full so I booked The Bay Tree as the hotel belongs to the same parent company and from the exterior, looked similar but sadly there the similarity ends. I was promised a pleasant room, as I explained how much I enjoyed The Lamb. I was shown to a room in the annexe behind the hotel, pleasant enough but a little dated and careworn but they had tried with new cushions, bedhead and upholstery. I had had a bad experience with a tyre en route so needed a hot bath and a little R and R. The room was cold and I turned the radiator and towel rail up but with no reaction. I telephoned down and Mark came to investigate. He had no explanation for the non functioning but decided to move me to another room. I queried that this did have working heating and he reassured me. The alternative room was death by toile de jouey, on the walls, ceiling, curtains and everywhere!! ( NB if you don't know what t d j is it's that print of scenes that runs all over the substrate ofte, as this was in faded blue and yellowing white) Unfortunately, when I pointed out this room also had no heating I was told the" heating didn't come on until 7pm as it had been warm over the preceding days" I then decided to adjourn to The Lamb to eat. Needless to say an exquiste evening was spent with superb food and refreshment and I returned to a now lukewarm room next door. My next problem was that the kitchen extractor fan, cunningly painted green to blend with the ivy made sleep impossible even fuelled by a very satisfactory meal at The Lamb. I eventually called down at 11pm and an offer was made to turn it down and in actuality I think it was switched off. Breakfast the next day was not again up to the standard next door. I seated myself, was not offered any service and eventually in frustration stopped a waitress and queried whether it would be possible to order breakfast. On checkout I was offered an audience with the Manager however the delay at breakfast had made me late for a meeting so I merely outlined my grievances to the receptionist. Suffice to say I will look elsewhere if The Lamb is full

Room Tip: Go next door! It could be that the main building is better. The bar and restaurant looked okay
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank HonW
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Stayed here on a midweek 2 nights for 1 deal which included dinner on one night. Had the Oak Master Suite at the front of the hotel which was superb value - massive bedroom with four poster bed, sofa and open fireplace; a separate lounge with sofa, armchairs and another fireplace; and a good sized bathroom with large jacuzzi bath.

The hotel has a lovely relaxed atmosphere and the staff were all extremely helpful, courteous and efficient from the moment we arrived. Lovely spacious dining room looking out on to the garden. The breakfast selection was among the best I have experienced in all my travels and the evening meals were good too.

The hotel is located away from the main street, which means that it is very quiet but still only a short walk to the shops.

In summary, a perfect place to get away from it all when you get the chance!

Room Tip: Oak Master Suite is lovely - four poster bed, separate lounge and jacuzzi bath.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed at the Bay Tree for one night as we had a wedding nearby. With a 2.5 year old we are always wary of room sizes for his travel cot and how child friendly places are, plus the mrs likes somewhere nice to stay. After looking at all the websites for hotels in the area we decided to go for the Bay Tree and we weren't disappointed. The staff were extremely helpful (we had to get into the room early to set up travel cot before the wedding) and very friendly (posted our forgotten night light back to us). The hotel itself is lovely, we had a garden room in one of the out buildings and it was very comfortable and just what we needed. The breakfast was lovely too!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a warm, inviting place to stay whatever the purpose of your visit to Burford.

Room Tip: If you want a nice view get a garden room, nice and spacious too and away from the main building sli...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank monkeyneil
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We had our wedding reception in the Bay Tree Hotel in early February 2014.

This was the first venue that we looked at but from the moment we walked in we knew this was an amazing hotel and had such a lovely setting to hold our wedding reception. We were not wrong.

The day itself was perfect. The hotel looked amazing. The rooms were superb. The food was excellent. The service of ALL members of staff involved on that day was outstanding. I have to mention Maureen who did an amazing job of co-ordinating everything and took the stress out of many of the arrangements in the lead up to the wedding (thank you!!)

The whole day felt very relaxed. We had the whole place to ourselves which meant the kids could run about and play and parents wouldn't worry.

Many of our guests remarked on how lovely the place was, the service, the food etc. We couldn't have asked for anymore.

For us it was perfect and we are so happy with our wedding day, we would not have changed one thing. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Lamb Inn
#5 of 8 in Burford
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to The Bay Tree Hotel? Share your experiences!