“Good night spoiled” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bay Tree Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Bay Tree Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Woodstock, United Kingdom
“Good night spoiled”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We live locally within 15 miles or so,and recently stayed over at a friends wedding.Bar is very overpriced for ordinary wine,breakfast was good,hot and filling.The downside after checking out and getting home,was my wife had left her kindle behind on the bedside table.When she called the hotel (within 30 minutes of checking out) the hotel said they would check and return a call on checking the bedroom..............the response was very poor,call back 3 hours later ( a 5 minute at best walk to the bedroom we stayed in)receptionist had checked with housekeeping,and had checked the room,no Kindle and had she left it at home?
Not impressed after spending £175 ,and the loss of a treasured gift from the family. Make sure you leave nothing around,as it wont be seen again......

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RoViking53
baytreemanager, General Manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
I am very disheartened by this review of The Bay Tree Hotel.

I would like to make it clear that guests are responsible for the safe guard of their property and the hotel accepts no responsibility for the loss of items left unattended in rooms. To imply that a member of my team took this item is very bad form and I do not appreciate my hardworking and trustworthy staff’s name to be brought into disrepute (particularly on a public forum), when the whereabouts of them item lies solely with yourself. For your information, we actually received a thank you letter earlier this week from a guest who forgot her handbag, and we promptly returned it to her in the post. Thus, if guest items are left in rooms and we find them, we do all we can to get them back to their rightful owner.

Please bear in mind we had another wedding the day you departed and Reception would have been extremely busy with check-outs of the wedding you attended and then early check-ins of the next wedding. It may only be a ‘5 minute at best walk’ to the room, but if the Receptionist was unable to leave the desk or contact Housekeeping immediately, this would have delayed the process.

With the greatest sincerity, I do hope you find the Kindle because it is never nice to lose or misplace expensive belongings.

Jules Simms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

The Bay Tree is a very old, historic and beautiful hotel full of character. We stayed for one night in Sycamore, which is reached via its own fairly steep staircase. This would not be suitable for disabled travellers but is a lovely little world all of your own when you get there. We loved the roll top bath, there is a separate shower as well. This could do with a little updating and the water pressure is not great but it might be hard to do anything about this due to the age of the property. We ate in the restaurant, which was not busy although there was a wedding reception under way outside. The food was superb and we thought good value at £33 for a three course meal. Burford is a beautiful town, the church is worth exploring. We wished we could have stayed longer. The only hitch was a metal hinge sticking out of the ottoman at the end of the bed. My husband stubbed his toe on this during the night resulting in a deep cut that is still painful two weeks later. We did report this on check out but I'm not sure how seriously the receptionist took us, although it has to be said that all the staff were extremely attentive and pleasant. We would definitely return despite the injury!

Room Tip: Ask about accessibility if you are disabled or even have dodgy knees!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank auntieh22
baytreemanager, General Manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review of The Bay Tree Hotel.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and wished it could have been for longer. However, I am sorry to learn of your husband’s misfortune - this incident was not brought to my attention until now. I will have the ottoman in Sycamore looked at immediately. I do hope the toe heals soon.

I am pleased to read that it will not deter you both from returning and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

auckland new zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

If you are looking for an English hotel with all the old world charm you will not find better than this.
we were fortunate to be upgraded to the Tanfield suite which is an annex just across a narrow driveway, flagstone floors ,open fireplace etc,etc . very comfy.
The bar and cosy library both had log fires burning which created a nice atmosphere.
The restaurant did not disappoint with a glass wall overlooking a nice private garden.
Food was a good menu and high quality.

Room Tip: Try the Tanfield suite
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jow64
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of The Bay Tree Hotel.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found Tanfield so comfortable and our Library and Bar so cosy.

I do hope my team and I will get the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We recently held our wedding reception at The Bay Tree and it was simply fantastic.
I used all their recommended suppliers which mean't that I did not have to worry about a thing leading up to the wedding. On the day itself the staff were just incredible. The food was outstanding, the duty managers were fantastic at keeping the wedding flowing and sorting everything out when the speaches over ran! The serving staff were polite and had big smiles on their faces all day and as for the poor bar staff who contiuned to serve our friends and family till the wee small hours of the morning was still smiling at 4am!
Thank you for giving us the best weekend of our life!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Heidi524
Thank you for your wonderful review of The Bay Tree Hotel and your wedding reception.

I am delighted you so enjoyed your big day and that you found the team to be so helpful and friendly. It was a pleasure to look after you and be a part of your special day.

My team and I hope look forward to welcoming you back in the future – maybe for your anniversary?!

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Arrived late (930pm) for a 1 night stay. The receptionist booked a table in the bar so that we could eat as soon as we were ready - wonderful! we were then shown up to our room via the most amazing old staircase. The room was beautiful - the bed huge and comfortable and there was a comfy z-bed for my son (even a teddy bear on the bed waiting for us!) The bathroom was huge, well appointed and spolessly clean. Plenty of towels.
Breakfast was great - we all ordered different dishes and all thoroughly enjoyed them.
I would definately stay here again - its like being part of history! Can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely review of The Bay Tree Hotel.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your room and it’s amenities so comfortable and clean.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back – hopefully for a little longer next time?

Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed for 1 night (22 July) in the "Fitzwarren" Garden Room after visiting the nearby airshow. The staff were friendly and welcoming and even asked if we would like some fresh milk for the in-room tea/coffee instead of the little pots provided (although it never actually arrived).
The hotel is is extremely well maintained, cleaned and polished and the breakfast (including fresh orange AND grapefruit juice) was great. Even though it was one of the hottest days of the year we didn't need the fan provided to keep the room cool as we left the windows and french doors ajar. This may partly be due to the rooms position - it's right in the corner of the garden so may not get as warm as some others. The downside of this is that a large apple tree obscures the view of the garden so if you are staying longer and want a view I would avoid this room. I can understand one a previous reviewer worried about the lack of privacy as the french doors are at eye-level when you're in the garden but the garden was quiet during our visit, so again not an issue for us.
Our only real disappointment was the bar. After a long, hot day at the airshow we planned to eat there rather than the restaurant and although we mentioned this on booking and at check in, no one mentioned that the menu wasn't the one on the website or in the in-room info but was much more limited. The barman seemed stretched and wasn't even there when we arrived and another member of staff (duty manager?) was offhand when asked for assistance and about the menu. Service was also slow but the platters were very tasty when they finally arrived. So in summary - a great hotel but possibly understaffed in some areas.

Room Tip: Fitzwarren room is lovely but view of garden is obscured by apple tree, so may be one to avoid in su...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
baytreemanager, General Manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for your review of The Bay Tree Hotel and your kind comments about the condition of the property.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us for the large part and that you were comfortable in your room, despite the heat – I remember the weekend of the Air Tattoo Show was particularly hot and sticky.

I am sorry that you never received the fresh milk for your room, especially as you were offered it by a member of the team, and I am disappointed to read about your bar experience. We are currently making changes to our infrastructure and have therefore made changes to our Bar Menu. As for the dissatisfying service you received, I can only apologise, although I am somewhat taken aback that you found a member of the team to be “offhand” with you, as all my team have been trained to give nothing but outstanding hospitality and to always make the guest their priority, and previous comments on here are certainly testament to that. This, I will undoubtedly be looking into this matter.

I do hope these factors will not deter you from returning to The Bay Tree and that my team and I may welcome you back.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We recently used the Bay Tree for our wedding - with the ceremony taking place in the Conservatory and our reception in the Summer House set in the hotels beautiful terraced gardens. Such a beautiful setting and wonderful service from the staff. We stayed two nights and experienced not only their wedding service but also the restaurant service. The food was amazing and the staff were extremely professional and alert to our every need, not only that but they were all really friendly too, not pretentious like some staff can be at good class hotels.
We stayed in the Oak Suit which was full of olde worlde character with an extremely comfy four poster bed, the only criticism we had was that the hot water flow to the shower and hand basin was very poor.
If you are looking for somewhere 'typically English' to relax, experience excellent food in wonderful surroundings look no further. Personally I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
baytreemanager, General Manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you so very much for this lovely review of The Bay Tree Hotel.

I am so pleased you had such a wonderful wedding and enjoyed the service you received from our staff. I get so many great comments about the friendliness and efficiency of my team and I never grow weary of them - it makes me so proud! It is a delight to read on every occasion and I thank you for taking the time to make such lovely comments – I will be passing them on to my team.

Sincerest apologies if the hot water flow was not up to standard – I will certainly have this looked into by our Maintenance Team – and I do hope it did not mar your special day and stay.

My team and I hope you will return so we can welcome you back and look after you again.

Jules Simms
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Lamb Inn
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,003 reviews
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bibury

Been to The Bay Tree Hotel? Share your experiences!