“A dream of a place”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A dream of a place”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We recently used the Bay Tree for our wedding - with the ceremony taking place in the Conservatory and our reception in the Summer House set in the hotels beautiful terraced gardens. Such a beautiful setting and wonderful service from the staff. We stayed two nights and experienced not only their wedding service but also the restaurant service. The food was amazing and the staff were extremely professional and alert to our every need, not only that but they were all really friendly too, not pretentious like some staff can be at good class hotels.
We stayed in the Oak Suit which was full of olde worlde character with an extremely comfy four poster bed, the only criticism we had was that the hot water flow to the shower and hand basin was very poor.
If you are looking for somewhere 'typically English' to relax, experience excellent food in wonderful surroundings look no further. Personally I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
baytreemanager, General Manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you so very much for this lovely review of The Bay Tree Hotel.

I am so pleased you had such a wonderful wedding and enjoyed the service you received from our staff. I get so many great comments about the friendliness and efficiency of my team and I never grow weary of them - it makes me so proud! It is a delight to read on every occasion and I thank you for taking the time to make such lovely comments – I will be passing them on to my team.

Sincerest apologies if the hot water flow was not up to standard – I will certainly have this looked into by our Maintenance Team – and I do hope it did not mar your special day and stay.

My team and I hope you will return so we can welcome you back and look after you again.

Jules Simms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Kingwood
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Prior to attending a conference in Oxford, I wanted to spend a couple of days in the Cotswolds. After an all-night trip from the US, I took a bus to Oxford, rented a car, and drove to Burford. The Bay Tree was a wonderful opportunity to recover from the airline, and a great base for two days of touring. The historic property is updated with all modern conveniences. The staff is welcoming and very competent. Breakfast (included in the rate) is better and more hearty than one could reasonably ask. The smoked salmon was some of the best I've ever had; and the other options were wonderful, and more than enough to qualify as a "full English breakfast." Dinner is very good. Service was simply outstanding. Free parking onsite was great. Location was a special plus, because it was located only two blocks off the main street, a highway that was very busy and noisy. There are inns on that main street, but I would be concerned that one might be awakened at night by large trucks and a lot of traffic. Bay Tree was simply a historic property, thoroughly updated, with a terrific staff.

Room Tip: The premium garden rooms had names; mine was "Wisdom". I would highly recommend the upgra...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your great review of The Bay Tree Hotel.

I am thrilled that you found the breakfast so good, the location peaceful and the staff and service efficient. I will be sure to pass you comments on to my team, who will be delighted that you were so impressed.

I hope that upon your return to the Cotswolds in the future, you will stay with us again and my team and I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My now wife and I got married at the Bay Tree in Burford on 29th June this year, and it was a superb experience shared by our family and friends too. The food and service was excellent on the day and in the year-long lead up to the event, and while we were blessed with a stunning, sunny day, the hotel is easily excellent whatever the weather.

The staff are friendly, approachable and have a great eye for detail. They were brilliant with all our guests. The food - both during the event and in the morning - was consistently excellent, of a good size and very well presented. They also catered to a range of needs without falling back on old staples.

The rooms are varied and very good, with newer, more modern rooms available to off-set the older traditional Cotswold rooms (which are great). Parking is also good - pretty important given the lack of space in Burford.

On the whole, it was an incredible day that owed a great deal to the care and attention put in by the hotel staff - thanks very much indeed!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simon G
Thank you for this wonderful review of the Bay Tree Hotel. It was a pleasure to be part of your special day.

I am delighted that you had such an excellent wedding day and that everything exceeded your expectations.

I hope you will return to the Bay Tree soon so we can look after you again. Maybe for your anniversary??!! Whenever it is, I look forward to welcoming you back.

Rhosneigr
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at this hotel with a couple of friends. We were lucky enough to receive a complimentary upgrade to a suite and the rooms were of a very high standard: immaculate, comfortable and tastefully decorated. Dinner was a delight as the menu was varied and the food delicious. The service could also not be faulted. A thoroughly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you ever so much for your glowing review of The Bay Tree Hotel.

It is always so pleasing for me to know that our guests are receiving the service we endeavour to provide and are happy with the surroundings we so carefully implement and maintain.

I do hope you will return and we will be able to look after you again.

UK
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed for two nights. Great room. Quiet even though it was near reception. Friendly staff. Great food - breakfast and especially dinner. Lots of parking. Close to Burford high street. Everything worked. Comfortable bed. Easy to black-out the room. Great bathroom. Would go again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank danglefox
Many thanks for your report of The Bay Tree Hotel.

I am glad to read that we delivered what we promised and that all the factors you mention were to you liking.

It’s great to know you would return and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Our first trip to the Cotswolds and we stayed for two nights to attend a friend's wedding nearby. The service was excellent, we were made very welcome and had a very pleasant meal in the restaurant along with some of the Groom's family and friends the night before the wedding. The bedroom was decorated beautifully and the four poster bed was really comfortable. The food was of excellent quality, both at dinner and breakfast and we really enjoyed relaxing in the beautiful gardens with a drink. Many thanks for a lovely, relaxing break, we'll be back!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely account of The Bay Tree Hotel.

I am delighted you had such a wonderful time and enjoyed both our accommodation and cuisine.

My team and I look forward to your return and looking after you again

Dundee
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here overnight for a wedding. We had the sycamore room. It was surprisingly spacious and comfortable in a quaint way. We were very happy with the complimentary Molton Brown products and the quality and standard of biscuits, tea's and coffee in the room. Overall, a lovely stay. Only negative was that the bar was quite expensive.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review of The Bay Tree Hotel.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and found your room so comfortable with all the amenities we provide. However, I am sorry to read you found the bar to be expensive - although hotel bars are naturally more expensive than regular bars or pubs, we do ensure we price ourselves in line with our competitors in the Burford area.

I do hope this will not deter you from returning to The Bay Tree and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Jules Simms
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Lamb Inn
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,046 reviews
The Swan Hotel
The Swan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bibury

Been to The Bay Tree Hotel? Share your experiences!