“Highly recommended”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Burford
Rhosneigr
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at this hotel with a couple of friends. We were lucky enough to receive a complimentary upgrade to a suite and the rooms were of a very high standard: immaculate, comfortable and tastefully decorated. Dinner was a delight as the menu was varied and the food delicious. The service could also not be faulted. A thoroughly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
baytreemanager, General Manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you ever so much for your glowing review of The Bay Tree Hotel.

It is always so pleasing for me to know that our guests are receiving the service we endeavour to provide and are happy with the surroundings we so carefully implement and maintain.

I do hope you will return and we will be able to look after you again.

Jules Simms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
UK
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed for two nights. Great room. Quiet even though it was near reception. Friendly staff. Great food - breakfast and especially dinner. Lots of parking. Close to Burford high street. Everything worked. Comfortable bed. Easy to black-out the room. Great bathroom. Would go again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank danglefox
Many thanks for your report of The Bay Tree Hotel.

I am glad to read that we delivered what we promised and that all the factors you mention were to you liking.

It’s great to know you would return and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Our first trip to the Cotswolds and we stayed for two nights to attend a friend's wedding nearby. The service was excellent, we were made very welcome and had a very pleasant meal in the restaurant along with some of the Groom's family and friends the night before the wedding. The bedroom was decorated beautifully and the four poster bed was really comfortable. The food was of excellent quality, both at dinner and breakfast and we really enjoyed relaxing in the beautiful gardens with a drink. Many thanks for a lovely, relaxing break, we'll be back!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely account of The Bay Tree Hotel.

I am delighted you had such a wonderful time and enjoyed both our accommodation and cuisine.

My team and I look forward to your return and looking after you again

Dundee
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here overnight for a wedding. We had the sycamore room. It was surprisingly spacious and comfortable in a quaint way. We were very happy with the complimentary Molton Brown products and the quality and standard of biscuits, tea's and coffee in the room. Overall, a lovely stay. Only negative was that the bar was quite expensive.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review of The Bay Tree Hotel.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay and found your room so comfortable with all the amenities we provide. However, I am sorry to read you found the bar to be expensive - although hotel bars are naturally more expensive than regular bars or pubs, we do ensure we price ourselves in line with our competitors in the Burford area.

I do hope this will not deter you from returning to The Bay Tree and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back.

manchester
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on a 2 for 1 offer commencing Sunday 4th August for two nights. (We paid £275).
My partner and myself have very stressful jobs/lives and needed to have complete relaxation for a couple of days.
We were booked into the Kempster Suite. It is a lovely garden room and very beautifully decorated. The downside for us was that we didnt feel very private. Other guests were enjoying the garden and wandering around it, just outside our balcony. This meant we had keep the curtains closed.

In addition the staff/cleaners working in adjoining rooms and entering leaving the building were very noisy - shouting to each other and laughing and joking.

The Kempster Suite unfortunately is facing the building where deliveries come and go from. Staying in bed for a while in the mornings was not an option here due to noise levels. Really disappointing.

We were asked on check in if we would like a bed turn down. We thought how lovely. But on Monday we went out then came back mid afternoon. The maids had been in and the bed was made. Lovely. We went to bed to sleep and locked the door. But we were disturbed by knocking on the door several times. We couldn't answer it as we were not dressed. We tried to sleep on. But reception then rang the room asking if the maids could come in. We weren't sure what for as the bed had already been made and we weren't expecting to be disturbed at all. We gave up in the end and went out.

The romantic chill out two day stay was not to be. So pleased we didn't pay full price.

Room Tip: Room on the back, tho gardens were beautiful you dont feel private.
Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank valente50
baytreemanager, General Manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Bay Tree Hotel. I am sorry that your stay was not as tranquil and peaceful as you had hoped.

Being a Superior Garden Room, Kempster is a highly sought after room - it is decorated and furnished to a high standard and looks out over our pretty and well-kept garden. As the Garden Rooms are not at the garden ground level, we have always found that this elevation gives the privacy most guests desire when there are others outside, enjoying it. However, I am sorry that you felt it was not private enough for you. In addition, I am sorry and surprised to hear you were disturbed by vehicles using the lane outside and our Housekeeping Team in next-door rooms, especially because all the Garden Rooms are double glazed and have sound proofing in the walls and roof. Please also be aware that if you request turndown, this means your room will be serviced twice - once in the day and then again in the evening, which is why a Housekeeping Team Member was knocking on your door and trying to gain access to your room. It is unfortunate that this was ultimately not convenient to you.

I do hope these issues will not deter you from staying with us again and hope your next stay will be more to your liking.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

For many years I've wanted to stay overnight at the Bay Tree having been in the bar only on a couple of previous occasions and the opportunity arose on the hottest and most humid day/night of the year!! We received a warm welcome from the lady who worked in reception and she showed us to our room and also showed us where everything was and if we needed anything to just 'phone down to reception. Top marks for our firstimpressions. The room was gorgeously decorated and in keeping with the age and character of the hotel. Great little touches - complimentary mineral waters, Molton Brown toiletries and a good supply of different teas/coffees stocked.The staff tried their best to keep the room as cool as possible on such a hot day but the air conditioner units worked hard but unfortunately struggled to cool the temperature of the room making it unbearable when it came to trying to sleep - but that of course wasn't the fault of the hotel.The gardens were superb - tranquil and just beautifully landscaped.
We had dinner in the Restaurant. The décor, atmosphere and service was five star/ 10 out of ten. Then the food arrived. This was quite honestly one of the best meals we've ever experienced and we do have lots of experience of dining-out.The Chef and his brigade are very,very talented and the breakfast the morning after - WOW! That's all I'm going to say.
The reason why I've not given this review top marks, and believe me I wanted to, is for three reasons and I hope this will be seen as positive feedback rather than just a complaint.
1.The Hotel makes a charge for paying by Credit Card. I do think this undermines the quality of this classy establishment - instead they should increase the cost of the room or food if they need that amount . It's a principle really and in my opinion makes them appear a bit tacky. 2.On the receipt for the meal it clearly states a gratuity has been added which is fine by me but there is also a section on the receipt for an an additional gratuity which I think is cheeky, and 3.The room we stayed in (Oak) was gorgeous and spacious. The bed, a four poster, while it looked good was so uncomfortable and small.(possibly the most uncomfortable, cramped bed I've ever slept in). There is so much space in that room that a Queen size bed would've easily fitted and would've been a better option.I normally can sleep anywhere at anytime ( and do !!) but the bed was not good, it really wasn't and the put up bed in the adjoining room for my son was also not comfortable. That room would also easily accommodate a double- sized bed. The temperature didn't help but if the bed had been more comfortable and spacious then that could have helped.
Finally - the Staff - All very nice, friendly and helpful. One person in particular, whose name I didn't note (blonde hair), was particularly an excellent ambassador for the Hotel - I believe she was only five weeks in training but in my view she was naturally calm and genuinely gave great service even when under pressure.Well done to her she will or should go far in the hotel collection The others too helped make our stay, apart from the beds, enjoyable and we will return and recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank stephen c
baytreemanager, General Manager at The Bay Tree Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to give this very honest review of the Bay Tree Hotel.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us for the most part, and will certainly pass on your lovely comments to the staff and especially to the Receptionist that impressed you so much. I will also pass on your compliments to the Chef.

I am so sorry you had an uncomfortable night’s sleep – as you say, it was on the hottest day of the year, but I am sorry to read that you found the bed lacking in comfort and space. As you know, the bed itself is a beautiful ornate four-poster double bed, which is just short of the ceiling. You may have noticed a wooden beam running the length of the room – this beam is just off centre and the bed sits just the other side of it because it cannot fit under it. It is the main reason we do not have a larger four-poster in there, because there would not be the room to accommodate it on either side of the beam – either a doorway would be blocked or the bed would be right up against the wall and window. The Oak Suite is also our bridal suite and newly weds love the romantic atmosphere a four-poster adds to the suite, which would be lost with a typical, larger bed. However, I apologise for any discomfort this brought you on the night in question.

Please note we do not charge for payments made with credit cards – we used to, but we stopped doing so last year. It may be that you saw this in some old literature of ours? With regard to the gratuities, although we add the standard service charge of 10% when dining in our restaurant, this is discretionary, and we like to offer guests the opportunity to either increase/decrease this charge as they see fit, depending on the level of service they receive. It is not meant to be “cheeky”, but if you feel it is then I apologise, because this is not the desired intention of it.

I do hope these factors do not deter you from returning to the hotel and I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Ashtead, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed in the Kempster garden room at the beautiful Bay Tree and could not fault it. The bed was supremely comfortable, the room spotless and stylish. The greeting from reception was warm and helpful and in fact all the staff were helpful and friendly. Breakfast was great. When we go back to the area for a longer stay it will certainly be our hotel of choice.

Room Tip: Kempster was a lovely garden room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much for this lovely review of the Bay Tree Hotel.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to pass your kind comments about the team on to them,

My team and I all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in Burford.